Photo recovery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mafia_001, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mafia_001

mafia_001 Guest

I have a photo that's not yet backed up to PC and i mistakely deleted it!
    Can anyone know how to recover those? You know, like 'Recycle Bin' on PC? But this on iPhone?

2. babalao20

babalao20 New Member
    Bronze

No way to recover it. iOS isn't windows OS. Better be careful next time the same way u are with all mac stuff.

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I do think it is gone :-(

4. mafia_001

mafia_001 Guest

That's what i also think. Then what is iWipe from cydia for?

5. snurblet

snurblet Member
    Bronze

When you "delete" a file or photo on a computer, it doesn't necessarily erase the file right away. The deleted files may still be there, but the computer sees them as free space in the memory, and is allowed to over-write them as necessary when new data is added.

iWipe actually over-writes all the "free" space in your phone's memory, to ensure that any files flagged as deleted are actually erased.

That's my basic understanding, anyway. I'm assuming iOS works the same way, or there would be no need to develop iWipe in the first place. I suppose it might be possible to hack the phone and recover deleted files, but only if they haven't been over-written yet by the OS, and that's just a guess.

6. mafia_001

mafia_001 Guest

So actually how to recover this?

7. babalao20

babalao20 New Member
    Bronze

No way to recover it. Says SJ learn how to delete item from your iP. Sorry man, i know your pain as i faced thay situation before but with my songs, itune took them away from me forever and i was in CHOCK.

8. mafia_001

mafia_001 Guest

Oh okay thanks.

9. Jon Morais

Jon Morais New Member

How do I restore photos off my iPhone 4 after I deleted them

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you've deleted the pictures from your phone, you can't restore them because you deleted them.

If you've backed them up then you can sync them back to your device through iTunes.

11. Laurence Holbrook

Laurence Holbrook New Member

[NB: I am a WinXP user - I can't say that the following will work on a Mac/Apple]

First off, it would be a good move to copy photos from your iPhone to a hard drive or online storage before deleting them - perhaps too late for that now - for future reference, when you connect your iPhone to a PC, the Camera Roll (images & videos) are displayed in a root folder in My Computer - you can simply copy from that folder to a location of your choosing -

IF you've synced your iPhone with iTunes, there's a good chance a backup was made on your PC - you could recover your photos from that backup - for WinXP the backup is in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\[40 character folder name] - it can be a large folder, mine has over 7000 items in it - you should probably copy those items to another folder before changing them - no useful picture is going to be less than 10K, so you could sort that folder by size and only select those items that are larger than 10K (or even 50K) - that simple process eliminated 4000 items to start - the trick is to realize that those files are exactly the same files as were on your iPhone without the extensions - all you need to do is a mass rename from '*' to '*.jpg' and then view that new folder with your favorite file viewer and you will see all your photos - copy those out to another new folder - then rename what's left from '*.jpg' to '*.png' and view the folder one more time to retrieve the png photos (screen prints and such) -

BTW, you could do another rename to *.txt. to retrieve text files, *.PDF to retrieve portable data format files and so on for any other file that you might be interested in retrieveing (although you would need to include those smaller files) -

There maybe some software available to retrieve files from an iPhone backup, but I've yet to trip over a simple, inexpensive one -

12. RRlocoENGR

RRlocoENGR Member
    Bronze

I also deleted some photos from my iPhone 4 before transferring them to a folder on my PC (Windows Vista). I assumed that since I had recently synced my iPhone through iTunes that they would be backed up. I understand that the process you describe above allows you to recover those pictures from the backup. Do you know if the location is the same for Windows Vista?

Thanks for the help.

13. RRlocoENGR

RRlocoENGR Member
    Bronze

Would you have any idea how I would get my pictures back using Windows Vista? I cannot follow your instructions using Vista. Unfortunately I deleted some photos from my iPhone 4 before saving them on my computer. I recently backed my phone up to my Windows Vista computer and would love to be able to locate them like you have described using Windows XP.

Thanks to anyone who can help me get my pictures from my backup. Are there programs that will do this also?

Thank you all for the help!

14. JamieMartin

JamieMartin New Member

If you accidentally deleted your photos from iPhone, there is no need to be depressed any more. Here are two ways to recover deleted photos from your iPhone. Two solutions to recover photos from iPhone: One is retrieving photos from iPhone directly. The other one is restoring iPhone photos from iTunes backup.