Photo view: random zoom?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, this has been bugging me for a while but I'm not exactly sure when it started.

When viewing pictures on your camera roll, often times the picture is zoomed in a bit at first. You have to pinch to see the whole thing. I don't understand why this would be, as iPhone camera pics are in the same aspect ratio as the screen, right? It bugs me because it makes me think I misframed until I remember to pinch.

In addition, once you pinch it will remember the zoom level as you flick back and forth between pictures... for a while. Then it forgets and zooms in again.

Was it always like this? :sick:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, obviously, the pics the camera takes are in a different aspect ratio than the screen, because zooming out gives black bars on the sides. So I guess I'm asking... why? And... was it always like this? :)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The whole camera function has been acting crazy (half photos, long shutter recovery time, photo's mixed with other photo's, blank shots) since 2.2 so who really knows? Mark

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Strange... I had camera oddness (jumbled pictures very frequently) before 2.2. I thought the latest firmware squashed all that. I haven't experienced anything like what you describe... my only concern now is the cropping.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
It's always been like this for me. The reason for the black bars is because when you are taking a picture, the silver bar where the camera button is covers up part of the shot. It zooms automatically to make it look nicer, because it would just look weird with the black bars.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That makes a lot of sense.

You're certain it's always been like this? Can I get confirmation?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I don't remember it doing this before the 2.0 updates. Idk how correct that is, but that's just what I remember.

It can get annoying with some pictures though...