Photos on iPhone and iCloud Photos

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by bkford, Jan 5, 2016.

1. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I am so confused. I consider myself fairly tech savvy. I have an iPhone 6, iPad Air and a PC. I just bought a gold MacBook for my granddaughter for Christmas. I am trying to help her figure out how best to set up the iPhone in Settings>Photos & Camera. She has the Mac set up now so that "all my pictures are there!" But then she noticed that if she deleted a photo from the phone (to clear up some storage space), it also deleted it from the iCloud Photo Library on her Mac. I would like to help her so that it automatically saves her photos to her iCloud Photo Library on her Mac (I'm not even sure if that's what it's called), and yet allow her to delete photos from her iPhone without deleting them from her Mac. Surely this is possible? In settings, should these things be off or on? iCloud Photo Library, Optimize iPhone Storage, Upload to My Photo Stream. And once we get that taken care of, she hopes to be able to leave on "iCloud Photo Sharing," because she's pretty excited about that. I have read the support materials, and I simply cannot figure this out. I hope someone will take pity on this Mamo and help me know what to do to help her!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If she deletes a photo on the iPhone, it will no longer show up on her Mac under the iCloud Photo Library. iCloud Photo Library requires storage space on the original device as well as cloud space so other devices can access the photos.

Have her start syncing the photos to her MacBook through the Photos app. When she connects via USB, the Photos app will automatically open and give her an option to import photos from the phone. This will allow her to save all of her photos to the Mac's hard drive and not have to rely on iCloud space for everything, which can take up quite a bit of space after a few years. It is also advisable to get a backup drive to make Time Machine backups in case the hard drive fails and to restore from after computer upgrades. She will still be able to access all of her photos in the Photos app on the Mac.

3. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

For this PC, non-Mac grandmother, this has been a tough one. My common sense told me there should be a physical connection between the phone and the Mac, but this brand new MacBook did not come with a cable, and no familiar port. I finally learned that the newest MacBook has a USB-c port. So I have now purchased a $20 USB-c to USB cable, and will be fine now. I have also learned that many people in the "Apple" world have been burned by assuming that the iCloud Photo Library is a back-up, when in fact it is not. Thank you.

4. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I am also wondering about what is Time Machine. My thinking is always to back up photos to an external flash drive. What is Time Machine?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I prefer Macs over PCs for a few reasons, but I'd have to say that Time Machine is #1. There isn't a PC equivalent that is free and works as well as Time Machine does. Time Machine backs up your entire HD and it does it automatically without any action on your part once it's set up. Of course, a MacBook is portable so you can't just plug in a Time Machine drive and forget about like you can with an iMac, but as long as you periodically connect the drive (or get a wireless drive if it's not an iMac), you'll be fine. These backups can be used to completely restore a new Mac or any individual files or folders. It even installs your programs. All you'll have to do after the first boot of the new Mac is change your wallpaper to a new one that has the correct resolution.

6. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Now that I understand how she can import her photos from the iPhone to the Mac, and how iCloud Photo Library is not really a backup at all, the other thing I need to get in my head is whether she should keep on the iCloud Photo Library on her phone (or why she should not), and/or Photo Stream. She does like to be able to create Shared Albums. Do you have some tips that would help me know how she should set up her Photos on the iPhone?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The more Apple devices you have, the more useful iCloud Photo Library becomes. All of the photos on each device will show up on the others. They will show up on her Mac if she imports them and they will always be there, regardless if she deletes them from the phone, whereas they would need to be saved on the camera roll if she wants them to continue to show up in iCloud Photo Library. I only use it to access photos on my other iOS devices. A lot people don't want to enable it on their Macs because of cost. They have thousands of photos and videos on their Mac and syncing every one of them to the iCloud Photo Library would require a huge amount of iCloud space and a monthly bill.

The shared photo streams are great for sharing photos with other people you have invited to your stream. They will receive a notification when you post and they can like or comment on your photos. My family uses it to share photos with each other since most of us don't use facebook. You can have multiple streams with different groups of people and even have a private stream for your own photos. They can then be deleted from your camera roll and will remain in the cloud.

8. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Just when I think I've "got it," there is more new information! I didn't know there was such a thing as Shared Photo Streams. If I could figure out how to use it, does it send every photo to your invited people? In my case, I use the phone to take lots of pics for blog posting, and I choose the best, leaving maybe 6 or so that I eventually delete, but guess I would need to delete before people in my stream saw them? I guess I'm confused. But the main question that comes to my mind on this is that if iCloud Photo Library is Off, and Photo Stream is on, I understand that now (maybe always, but now for sure), the photos only remain in the stream for 30 days? She only has the Mac and the iPhone, so she should probably use the Stream and not the Cloud?

9. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Also, when she imports them from her iPhone to the Mac, they go into the Photos App, right, and not iCloud Photo Library? Am I still confused?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The go into the Photos app on the Mac and are listed chronologically.
    No, a shared photo stream will not automatically upload anything. Create the shared stream, invite people and then post pictures to the stream as you want. Only the people you invited will be able to see them. Shared Photo Stream photos will use your iCloud space and they will not disappear. My Photo Stream has the limitations you were talking about and is different from Shared Photo Streams. You do not have to toggle on "Upload to my photo stream" to use shared photo streams.