Photos taken in Portrait mode, but show on PC in Landscape

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Morning all -

I searched for this answer, and can't find it.But, am almost 100% sure I saw this on here somewhere a while back...

I take photos in portrait mode all the time (i.e. phone upright). Once I upload the images to a pc, it saves them in landscape mode. I then have to edit and save each photo to portrait mode.

Is this normal, surely not?

If not, how do I fix it?

I swear I feel like I always have a question, gosh!

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Has no one else not noticed this with viewing images on a pc? Surely...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
How are you transferring from the iPhone to the PC? I manually drag-and-drop and have no issue such as this.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
That's it, drag and drop. When I connect the iPhone to my pc, a popup window open automatically thus giving the option to view said items in the camera roll...

I just simply drag and drop. Weird. I've tried it on two pc's. And, it should matter how I take the photo, right?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's weird. Just to be clear, when I hookup my phone to the desktop, I get a popup asking if I want to launch an application. I cancel out of that dialog and open an explorer window, browse to my phone, and drag and drop from there. Is this what you're doing?

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I just tried it that way, just because, and same thing. I normal select the explorer option when the popup window open on my XP pc...

Weird...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That is very odd. At least it's easy to rotate on the computer (ctrl-k for clockwise, ctrl-l for counterclockwise).

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...true. I think I'm going to call Apple support. See what they say. But, thanks for all your help, and shortcuts.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I just called Apple about this, and they don't even know. They've NEVER heard of this!

I have to create a backup, and do a restore; then test it again. Weird, very weird...

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
The photos are a weird deal on the iPhone. My 3G had that problem and my 3GS is having the same problem. I think it's a PC thing. My computer is so old it's not even funny and I thought I was loosing pictures for a while there. I would take pictures with my iPhone and they would not show up in the camera roll but when i hooked the iPhone up to my computer and copied the pictures over to an awaiting folder they would show up there. It was and still is weird.

My husband is having the same problem. When he takes pictues they do not go to his camera roll and when he takes a video it does not go to his camera roll either and when i hook his iPhone up to the comptuer, there they are. All the pictures that he took and didn't see in the camera roll and the video as well.

We have called Apple Support about this but they are baffled. I figure it's just a PC thing, an OLD PC Thing.

One day, we will be able to get a MAC. Until then, we suffer though.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Wow, this is how its ALWAYS been for me. Since the day the first iPhone came out. I never really thought it was a bug or anything, thought thats just the way it was.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Hmm. When I connect the phone my pc camera app comes up and asks to transfer the pics. Nothing about do I want to view the pics. I always let the camera app transfer the pics and they appear on the pc as they were taken on the phone. Wonder if everyone could add the maker of the pc and OS to their post.
Sony Vaio with Vista Home Premium

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Hmm. When I connect the phone my pc camera app comes up and asks to transfer the pics. Nothing about do I want to view the pics. I always let the camera app transfer the pics and they appear on the pc as they were taken on the phone. Wonder if everyone could add the maker of the pc and OS to their post.
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 purchased in 2001.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Wow@Adnurahs. That thing is still running? lol. It doesn't seem to be an isolated issue. I just wondered what was the difference for me. Have you ever hooked a digital camera to the pc and gotten the same effect? Anyone? I have a 10 yr old pc (SonyVaio also with XP Professional) and the camera app behaves the same as my laptop.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Wow@Adnurahs. That thing is still running? lol. It doesn't seem to be an isolated issue. I just wondered what was the difference for me. Have you ever hooked a digital camera to the pc and gotten the same effect? Anyone? I have a 10 yr old pc (SonyVaio also with XP Professional) and the camera app behaves the same as my laptop.
Yup! It's still kicking! I hope there is yet more life in it because it'll be a little while before I can get my hands on a iMAC. :mad:

I've hooked up a digital camera and the pictures come out fine.

I guess it is PC related.:D

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
BrownGem, you've done it again. As soon as you mentioned the words 'transfer the pics', I figured it out...

On my Vista pc, I connect the iPhone, and let the Window popup, and it has an option 'import images'. Choosing that causes the images to SHOW CORRECTLY!

But, if you do a copy and paste, by browsing to the device, and the respective folder, then it doesn't copy the items to the pc in portrait mode, but lanscape mode...

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Ohhh...cool! So YOU guys were just being too fancy huh.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Yep! I guess, being in I.T. I just took it for granted that the copy and paste option would work pricelessly...

I like the import feature; if you've already imported items, it won't import them again, and thus no duplicates...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Portrait photos have always been in landscape mode for me--ever since the first iPhone's release. I don't take that many photos that way, so it's never been an issue.

Don't see how it can be a PC thing, as I've used SSH to transfer photos, with zero changes during transport, and they are still landscape--even when transferred to a Linux box. If it works differently on a Mac, it's the Mac that is changing them to portrait after-the-fact (though I doubt it).

Indeed the meta-data contained within all photos I've downloaded, either via Windows Explorer or SSH, have the following entry:

PixelXDimension = 2048;
PixelYDimension = 1536;

That's pretty much landscape.

Now the Mac could be using the the meta-data to change orientation, or just for viewing, as their is orientation data is included with the photo (6 being portrait and 1 landscape). Personally, I'd rather the photos come over untouched. Oh yes, accelerometer data is included in the photo too.

Attached is a sample of all meta-data contained within a 3GS photo. As you can see there is quite a bit of data (focus info, etc.).

--
Mike

Attachments