Picked up MacBook Air at Best Buy, Incredible Customer Service

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chris, Nov 9, 2011.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I had the absolute best experience yesterday at Best Buy. I have been on the fence about moving to a MacBook Air. I've had earlier versions of the Air, but felt they didn't have enough power for my needs. That's left me firmly in the MacBook Pro camp. After reading a number of reviews, I've been considering a jump back to the MBA. I came across a deal at Best Buy, where they were offering up to 10% off open box Mac's, plus they had a limited time $100 off. That 10% is off their already low price, $100 less than the Apple Store. That's like a triple-discount. Yesterday, with my wife's blessing thanks to her love of the 11" MBA, we made our way to a not tremendously local Best Buy.

The rep who was helping me tried a number of cages looking for this specific MacBook Air, the 13" with 256GB hard drive. After several cages, he went to ask a manager. When he returned, he said that the MBA listed on the website was sent back to Apple to be refurbished. I asked if they could call me when it was back in stock and available for purchase. Again, this is a triple discount and now it's coming back refurbished from Apple, making it a really good deal. He walked over to the manager, who was talking to someone via his headset, but was also listening to my conversation with the rep. He remarked they had no way of knowing when it would be back. I then commented that it probably shouldn't be on the website, since I drove a bit thinking it was in stock. He then told the rep to "take care of me".

Not understanding exactly what that meant, I said that if it meant the refurbished price with the discount, then that would be great. He looked at the rep and said, take care of him.

They took a brand new MacBook Air, did some inventory magic, and I was on my way with a savings of over $350. Rep even went as far as to give me a software freebie (which was junk, but I appreciate it just the same) and a free Shutterfly 8x8 photo book. Being a new father, that's ideal.

I've always been a big fan of Best Buy. Knowledgeable staff, no pressure sales. Where possible, they've got my future businesss.

2. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

You made out like a bandit. I paid full price at the Apple store for the exact same MBA as you. Good luck was on your side. You're gonna love your MBA, I do.

Verizon iPhone 4S using iCafe app

3. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Hence why they call it Best Buy.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Sent this info to my girlfriend's parents. They are looking to get a MacBook Air. Finally dumping that crappy dell on the trash.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If they manage to get an open box, it's still eligible for Best Buy's protection plan or even Apple Care.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'll tell them that, good to know. Thank you.

7. Al Vila

Al Vila Member
    Bronze

Great deal, your going to love it, it was a great move when I got it . From MacBook pro to air, there all good

8. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

Very nice deal Chris! I love best buy and try to buy from them when possible. I have never had a bad experience there and they do not push when I say no I don't want your extended warranty. Plus my rewards credit card makes for some nice savings at times.

9. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

Hi Chris,
    Yeah, you did really well and got yourself a great deal.
    I was also looking at the MBAir, but was not sure. I'd like to hear more about what your needs were. My needs are a bit more workhorse. So, I am not so sure if I want an 13" MBAir or go with a 13" Pro?

10. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Great deal!

I am on the fence with the MBA. I am not sure 13 inch will fit my needs and I fall into the video editing and graphics user. I am not sure the MBA will cut it for me but it's tempting. I like the larger screen on my MBP though. But it's 3 years old and time to upgrade.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I do find myself missing the real estate of my 15". I'm going to use both for now and see how it plays out.

12. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

good for you I have not once but twice BestBuy sell me the wrong item. I went in with a printoutof my Laptop and they gave me a box for some other laptop ! I caught it at the register. Imaginge I open it and then pay 15% restocking not even my mistake?
    Same happned again also a Laptop! I am not very happy they also tell you wrong info about merchandise and when you tell them they are wrong they act like I am from another planet. I research first before I buy. Grrr last time the phone Lady presisted Apple will not sell unlocked iPhone4s. I go in to look at items up close but never buy anything unless it is a deal (yeah right they and deals).

13. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I thought they stopped the restocking fee policy in the US? We never had it in Canada.

Also much harder for Best Buy to master their inventory line when; they've a much larger SKU count, wider range of product categories, larger amount of model changes every month, operating on smaller margins.

Can not compare their product mastery vs the staff at the Apple Store. How many item types do you have to master at the Apple Store, twenty?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

That's like saying, ' should I drive the vette or the BMW today'.
    Just rub it in.... Lmao

15. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

We should get new lapdevices but I rather wait and see. I am shooting for LONG BATTERY LIFE
    most laptops have great graphics cards and are fast enough now to do the video editing and graphics my son wants to do. Since I said that. He started music editing and so this is something I need to look at that too.
    Anyway we never bought a mac computer etc.
    I will come here and get my advice from you all when it's time

16. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

You're going to love the new MBA. I had to purchase a new one after my beloved first gen MBA took a drink of soda. Completely not my fault. ;)

I also bought mine at BB to take advantage of the 18 month free financing. I have noticed one thing about BB though. They really won't take responsibility for the website saying what's in stock or not. When I went, I told them what I wanted and they said: We don't think we have it. I said that the website said they did. And they said: The website isn't always right. Then why is it an option to check stock if it's going to be wrong?

I will say this, I bought my Star Wars complete Blu-Ray saga that same day and it was on sale on the website for $20 cheaper than the store was selling it. No questions asked, they matched that price for me. I was pretty impressed. And I love my MBA.

17. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Those MBAs are the shiznit. You got a helluva deal!

18. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I like catching BB on their price beat policy. Almost as much as a wrong price at the grocery.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

For me that would be an easier decision -- BMW.:p

20. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

Picked up a 13" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, at Best Buy. My only complaint is that I wished I could have gotten the 8GB RAM version. Love the Mac. My only complaint about the software is having to eject external drives and USB drives. I thought that went away with the old iPods? Don't need to do that on a PC. Maybe that will be fixed in Mountain Lion.