Picking up an iPhone in LA

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I'll be in LA next week (from the UK) and thought I might pick up a 3GS while I'm there.

Are they in the Apple stores to buy or do you need a contract first?

How much are they and are there any restrictions on purchase? i.e. US credit cards only, no cash, 1 per person etc. etc.?

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
any credit or debit will do . visa is worldwide so it shouldnt matter.
i am not sure if you can just buy an iPhone without a contact.... also there is a 3- 5 days wait at a lot of places. call up an Apple store and talk to them, definitely better than ATT and ATT stores.

good luck

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why would you want to buy one in the US?

They are locked to AT&T and you'll always have to go through the hassle of software unlocks. If you buy one anywhere else, it will be hardware unlocked and you won't have to jump through hoops to get it to work in the UK and everywhere else.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Why would you want to buy one in the US?

They are locked to AT&T and you'll always have to go through the hassle of software unlocks. If you buy one anywhere else, it will be hardware unlocked and you won't have to jump through hoops to get it to work in the UK and everywhere else.
Europa is right. There is a list of countries where the iPhone is sold, and you can buy factory unlocked ones in Belgium. I definitely think that's a better source for you than the U.S.

Additionally, you won't be able to get one at a good price in the U.S. without a contract. A 16GB iPhone 3GS will cost you $499 and the 32GB will cost you $599. I don't know if you can walk into an Apple store and buy one without a contract, but you can from an AT&T store. I don't think it will be easy, however – I wouldn't be surprised if you found incompetent sales people who told you that you can't buy one once they hear your accent and leap to the conclusion that you want to leave the country with it. And there were limits with the 3G, and my guess is that they probably apply to the 3GS as well (1 or 2 max per person at a time).