Picking up my phone today...Any advice?

Aug 20, 2007
Anything I should know before I get started? Anything you guys wish you had done from the beginning? Thanks!

sealevel

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Belleair, Florida
Did mine over the weekend. Connect to computer, activated iTunes, follow instructions. Activation took a few minutes and getting number transfered took about 3 hours. The iPhone will be active to receive calls while you await transfer of old number. Have fun it's easy!

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Make sure that you have the most recent version of iTunes downloaded and don't plan on getting too much sleep tonight! You will not be able to put it down :)

Congrats and enjoy!

motuser

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
If you have the software, sync your old phone to your computer before activating the new phone. My old phone would not sync without an active carrier, and I had to use an old sync from 2 months earlier.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Anything I should know before I get started? Anything you guys wish you had done from the beginning? Thanks!
/Buy a cleaning cloth for it and be ready to use it many times a day, as you'll want to keep it pretty and shiny, at least at the beginning. Back up every day if you use your calendar and contacts extensively. Don't overload it with video. Leave at least 500MB of free space on it.
I've been using an INCASE iPhone cover, which is easy to put on and take off. Not a scratch anywhere after 7 weeks, and I dropped it a couple of times: it bounced and was unharmed...

Aug 20, 2007
/Buy a cleaning cloth for it and be ready to use it many times a day, as you'll want to keep it pretty and shiny, at least at the beginning. Back up every day if you use your calendar and contacts extensively. Don't overload it with video. Leave at least 500MB of free space on it.
I've been using an INCASE iPhone cover, which is easy to put on and take off. Not a scratch anywhere after 7 weeks, and I dropped it a couple of times: it bounced and was unharmed...

Is that the leather case? A silicone one?

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
once u get it i suggest you put a screen protector asap i put mine on not even a second after i took off the original plastic it had on it

Kipper

Bronze
I dropped mine for the first time the other day. It fell out of my pocket while I was leaning back in a chair. It fell on the back(THANK GOD) and only a few small scratches on her. Def. looking to getting a silicone case to prevent this from happening again.

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
once u get it i suggest you put a screen protector asap i put mine on not even a second after i took off the original plastic it had on it
how are those screen protectors? It doesn't dull up the touch the phone still responds well?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
how are those screen protectors? It doesn't dull up the touch the phone still responds well?
Yeah, I would say a screen protector is a must. Although some say they've had their phone since i-Day without screen protection without scratches. The thing is incredibly tough, but for just a few bucks, why not take the extra precaution?

To answer your questions, there is no real detriment. The crystal shields look almost exactly like the original glass. I personally prefer the antiglare screens. They drastically reduce the amount of fingerprint-wiping you will do. Plus, I love how the matte-finish feels to the fingers... feather touch. Both styles are very sensitive, so no worries there.

But definitely get a case and a screen protector soon. Worthwhile investments for sure.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
I had a screen protector for about a month and then took it off because i found out how amazing the screen was without it. I would also look into jailbreaking. its very amusing and fun. research it and see if you like it. you can get games different themes and everything. good luck

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
cool thanks psylichon and chcorey52! Yeah im gonna have to look into the anti-glare screen protector and jailbreaking.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
cool thanks psylichon and chcorey52! Yeah im gonna have to look into the anti-glare screen protector and jailbreaking.
Ya no problem if you have any questions, as youve seen before there is always someone thatl help you.