Pissed about no iChat?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
I really hope so. I just don't understand how they can take such a successful feature away from this product. It would be perfect for this baby!

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
You have to look at throught a businesss standpoint. How much would Att lose or gain in monthly revenue if that was available to use over their data plan or with wifi vesus just being able to use SMS text messenging on the phone?

MikeMirage

Jun 9, 2007
You have to look at throught a businesss standpoint. How much would Att lose or gain in monthly revenue if that was available to use over their data plan or with wifi vesus just being able to use SMS text messenging on the phone?
Yeah this makes sense. I thinkmy text messaging is 10 cents a text on AT&T and I text a lot so that is a lot of money they would be losing if everyone stopped texting.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Exactly. I think this is also the reason we are unlikely to get Skype or any other VOIP software on the iPhone. Maybe when Apple opens the iPhone to 3rd party apps, someone will find a way to sneak a chat and VOIP app onto it.

reptilexcq

Jun 5, 2007
They want to charge people for instant messages...that's why there is no ichat. They're greedy bastards! First of all, it makes no sense to handicap a device's ability to do IM on the phone with wi-fi because everyone can pretty much do this on their computer....so why not allow users to do the same on the phone. Iam not using the damm EDGE for this service....im using wi-fi!

Also you have to buy data plan to get Yahoo! Push Email! wtf? Better not charge me for accessing this shyt over wi-fi!

iWant iPhone

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
They want to charge people for instant messages...that's why there is no ichat. They're greedy bastards! First of all, it makes no sense to handicap a device's ability to do IM on the phone with wi-fi because everyone can pretty much do this on their computer....so why not allow users to do the same on the phone. Iam not using the damm EDGE for this service....im using wi-fi!

Also you have to buy data plan to get Yahoo! Push Email! wtf? Better not charge me for accessing this shyt over wi-fi!
i don't think it really matters. it sounds like your gonna have to pay regardless. you have to have a data plan to get the phone.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
But is they had a data plan that had text messages and people had to buy it to use the phone, then att would be gettin their share and we can have iChat, best of both worlds.

iWant iPhone

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
But is they had a data plan that had text messages and people had to buy it to use the phone, then att would be gettin their share and we can have iChat, best of both worlds.
i really don't think its a businesss thing with AT&T i think its probably something that Apple was tweaking and don't want to have it on there at launch if its buggy.

May 6, 2007
United States
I see how you are mad, but I can also understand why they are doing this. Putting in iChat could lose money for AT&T, depending on how they would set it up. I would certainly look for iChat in future versions of the iPhone, though, so don't be too bummed.

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
I see how you are mad, but I can also understand why they are doing this. Putting in iChat could lose money for AT&T, depending on how they would set it up. I would certainly look for iChat in future versions of the iPhone, though, so don't be too bummed.

I still don't understand what the problem is (or rather: I understand but I think it's ridiculous. :laugh2: )... There are plenty of other phones that have IM capabilities and they use their unlimited data plan for that ... So the companies already should have gotten over the whole "OMGZ! they won't be using txt msging enough!" thing... Right? When you txt someone it's to a phone - when you IM it could be someone at a computer, or to their IM thingy on their phone as well - but the two are not one in the same, thus not competing against each other. Let us use our unlimited data connection to send IM's to some *!@!*!@-ing computers already! ;)

(or am I wrong... ? ;) )

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I still don't understand what the problem is (or rather: I understand but I think it's ridiculous. :laugh2: )... There are plenty of other phones that have IM capabilities and they use their unlimited data plan for that ... So the companies already should have gotten over the whole "OMGZ! they won't be using txt msging enough!" thing... Right? When you txt someone it's to a phone - when you IM it could be someone at a computer, or to their IM thingy on their phone as well - but the two are not one in the same, thus not competing against each other. Let us use our unlimited data connection to send IM's to some *!@!*!@-ing computers already! ;)

(or am I wrong... ? ;) )
Don't sugar coat it; just tell us how you feel.:laugh2:

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Don't sugar coat it; just tell us how you feel.:laugh2:
HAHAHA... If I told you how I REALLY felt I don't think I'd be on this board much longer... ;)

No, seriously, I'm not THAT pissed or anything - I just really don't get it, it seems so obvious.. such a glaring omission. But I digress -- I'll wait to see how the thing ships....... .. . . .

(NO I CHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :mad:)

:cool: