Pissed about no iChat?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I'll wait to see how the thing ships.......
Good idea! You know how the Web icon changed to Safari? What if the SMS icon changed to Chat or iChat? And what if it did SMS and IM and you didn't have to care which one the person on the other end was using? :eek:

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Good idea! You know how the Web icon changed to Safari? What if the SMS icon changed to Chat or iChat? And what if it did SMS and IM and you didn't have to care which one the person on the other end was using? :eek:

EXACTLY! :laugh2: That's the way it should be. Dare I say I think that's how my friend's Sidekick works because when I txt him on AIM at my computer it just automatically seems to go back there, and when I txt him on my phone, say even just after txting him on the computer, the reply goes right to my phone. Makes sense!

And just for the record I'm not at all complaning because I don't think it will ever be possible (I know it's just a software upgrade) - it just seems almost silly for the first impression to be "it has youtube but only the most primative messaging?" I'm sure eventually it will have everything.. ;)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Maybe they are waiting until they can figure out the video chat option with it. That would be great
ain't gonna happen... the iPhone doesn't have enough power to do video, let alone the camera is on the wrong side. ;)

i think ichat will come later—if not from Apple, from a 3rd party developer.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
i really don't think its a businesss thing with AT&T i think its probably something that Apple was tweaking and don't want to have it on there at launch if its buggy.
Bingo. There were a couple of apps that Apple wanted working on launch day, but the bugs couldn't be worked out soon enough. To all the people moaning, I suggest you ask yourself, which would you rather have:

A) An iPhone without iChat (at first) on June 29th.
B) Nothing on June 29th.

Let's make a poll out of it, shouldn't we?

As a placeholder, SMS conversations will be threaded, like IM (it's exactly like on Palm's if you're familiar with it).

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
What are you basing that on?
Speculation. The ARM processors (supposedly that's the chip designs being used) are pretty limited in functionality—they're not general purpose cpu chips and are optimized for low cpu power. Even if you could video chat, I doubt you could do so for very long before having to plug it in.

Playing back video is not very cpu intensive but encoding it and sending it back out are—especially the H.264 codec. I think most people wouldn't be happy with postage-stamp sized video.

I would love to be proved wrong though... it's impossible to tell at the moment what chips Apple is using to power the device but once we know that will at least hint at the kind of functionality to expect.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
Speculation. The ARM processors (supposedly that's the chip designs being used) are pretty limited in functionality—they're not general purpose cpu chips and are optimized for low cpu power. Even if you could video chat, I doubt you could do so for very long before having to plug it in.

Playing back video is not very cpu intensive but encoding it and sending it back out are—especially the H.264 codec. I think most people wouldn't be happy with postage-stamp sized video.

I would love to be proved wrong though... it's impossible to tell at the moment what chips Apple is using to power the device but once we know that will at least hint at the kind of functionality to expect.
How do they get it to work in the japanese phones?

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Bingo. There were a couple of apps that Apple wanted working on launch day, but the bugs couldn't be worked out soon enough. To all the people moaning, I suggest you ask yourself, which would you rather have:

A) An iPhone without iChat (at first) on June 29th.
B) Nothing on June 29th.

Let's make a poll out of it, shouldn't we?

As a placeholder, SMS conversations will be threaded, like IM (it's exactly like on Palm's if you're familiar with it).

As I said, I'm not really "moaning" just because it's not out right away with what seems to a layperson to be a "simple" step above SMS texting -- IM texting. I am sure it will happen eventually. But I guess the original "moan" came from the fact we're speculating there's a YouTube app. And I was just thinking it would make more sense to ship the phone with at least something like iChat first rather than YouTube (spending that development time to provide the basics). Their thinking seems to be (perhaps correctly - from a marketing POV), let's get this thing out with some really whiz-bang apps so people are talking about it, and then get the rest of the stuff on there later.

;)

Doesn't matter; I want an iPhone. Bad.

rollerbones

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Ohio
I use a Blackberry on Cingular (att) for 3 years now.. Cingular has never supported anything but SMS....IM will work on the blackberry(I use yahoo all the time) but they cant stop it since it uses the BES server with Blackberry.. If they allow third part apps for chat they will lose money in msg. fees that they want.

If they will not allow chat then I wont be able to get this phone..I use IM everyday for businesss reasons..

Not sure but you still mey be able to use yahoo on it with the browser based service (webmessenger.yahoo.com)

T

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
^ thats what i thought. I posted in another thread but never got an answer. I assume aim express or a clone of it will work. ebuddy etc.

jesse_thomas

Jun 1, 2007
Lame

It's very lame if they don't allow iChat on the iPhone. I can't imagine that we're too far away from video conferencing through iPhone.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
if the iPhone ever gets ichat i can almost guarnatee it will never have video messaging. the camera is on the back of the phone, so that pretty much eliminates that idea. i PREY for ichat for the use of IM. that to me would make this phone 100% perfect!

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
if the iPhone ever gets ichat i can almost guarnatee it will never have video messaging. the camera is on the back of the phone, so that pretty much eliminates that idea. i PREY for ichat for the use of IM. that to me would make this phone 100% perfect!
There are always new models.:laugh2:

DailyMan

Jun 23, 2007
www.halfrumor.com
i don't think it really matters. it sounds like your gonna have to pay regardless. you have to have a data plan to get the phone.
Exactly. When I am forced for a data plan, I am sure I wouldn't have to pay for SMS for text messaging. I currently have a Sony Ericsson P990 and I have a data plan. The phone came with a pre-loaded IM chat client. I was able to chat with everyone that I have on my messenger list. So, I guess, that should not be an issue. Apple should be able to come out with a solution for IM. And I don't see Apple letting third party access the iPhone beyond WEB 2.0. So, if at all any solution for iChat, it must be from Apple.

-- DailyMan

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
^^ That might be part of it but YouTube currently only works over Wi-Fi as well. I personally think it's simply too much processing for the iPhone to handle.