Pixels near edge are brighter

Ambien

Jun 30, 2007
I recently noticed on my iPhone that in the upper part of the screen there is a constant "bright area" near the edge. It is especially noticeable when watching movies in landscape mode. Its hard to describe, but when looking at the screen, you can see a brighter area (especially when the background is black). Is this something that Apple could possibly fix or is this common with this type of device. I would take a picture, but its almost impossible to get a good pic of the iPhone showing that.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I recently noticed on my iPhone that in the upper part of the screen there is a constant "bright area" near the edge. It is especially noticeable when watching movies in landscape mode. Its hard to describe, but when looking at the screen, you can see a brighter area (especially when the background is black). Is this something that Apple could possibly fix or is this common with this type of device. I would take a picture, but its almost impossible to get a good pic of the iPhone showing that.
No, this is not supposed to happen. Maybe you should bring it to an Apple store, see if they can fix it, or exchange it?

Ambien

Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, I just called Apple Tech Support and they said they had never heard of this issue. I am going to go the the Apple Store later today to see if they can resolve it.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Yeah, I just called Apple Tech Support and they said they had never heard of this issue. I am going to go the the Apple Store later today to see if they can resolve it.
MAN, wish I had an Apple store near here......as i'm hearing on the board here, that they fix stuff without having to pay them, if it's under warranty. :(

Ambien

Jun 30, 2007
... that's what I hear. Will find out in about 1 hour.

Austin

Jul 2, 2007
Keep us updated Ambien.

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
This is correct the iPhone is perfect.

Ambien

Jun 30, 2007
I have noticed that when the lighting is dimmer, I notice a section on the side of the screen near the edge that has lighter pixels than the rest. So I took it to the Apple Store where I live and the guy took it in the back to look at it in dim lighting. He said that he did notice that and that all of the iPhones look that way and that is just the way that the phone is. Does anyone else notice this problem on their phones? On my phone the spot is located 3/4 of the way up on the right hand side. I would think for $600 that that should not be there. Any suggestions?

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Yes,

I have noticed when the lighting is pretty dim, you can see spots of brighter light. Even though I haven't seen it specified, I believe it is backlit by LEDs which would be one of the few consumer devices in the world that is.

You probably should temper your expectation for this device a little more appropriately. Yes, it is $600. But it is not the most expensive phone out there, and even the most expensive phone is going to have areas they had to compromise on because of limitation of technology, cost/benefit ratio considerations, etc. This is first and foremost a consumer level cell phone, which is machine mass produced. The upfront cost you are paying is going more towards the feature set and engineering to accomplish that. Once we pay that cost, then people who buy it in the future will pay a lower price, because they mainly pay for manufacturing and shipping only. Lucky them. That being said, this is still one solidly built phone with an awesome feature set and interface. Probably the best right now. I don't think any other company out there has the means to put something together that even closely compete on all three levels. Motorola can put out a nice product, but their interfaces are slow and buggy. Samsung needs to make their own OS, they could maybe do it, but it would probably be 'too Japanese'. I have little faith left in the Microsoft OS. Nokia is probably the last best hope for any type of competition.

-Jeff

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Yes,

I have noticed when the lighting is pretty dim, you can see spots of brighter light. Even though I haven't seen it specified, I believe it is backlit by LEDs which would be one of the few consumer devices in the world that is.

You probably should temper your expectation for this device a little more appropriately. Yes, it is $600. But it is not the most expensive phone out there, and even the most expensive phone is going to have areas they had to compromise on because of limitation of technology, cost/benefit ratio considerations, etc. This is first and foremost a consumer level cell phone, which is machine mass produced. The upfront cost you are paying is going more towards the feature set and engineering to accomplish that. Once we pay that cost, then people who buy it in the future will pay a lower price, because they mainly pay for manufacturing and shipping only. Lucky them. That being said, this is still one solidly built phone with an awesome feature set and interface. Probably the best right now. I don't think any other company out there has the means to put something together that even closely compete on all three levels. Motorola can put out a nice product, but their interfaces are slow and buggy. Samsung needs to make their own OS, they could maybe do it, but it would probably be 'too Japanese'. I have little faith left in the Microsoft OS. Nokia is probably the last best hope for any type of competition.

-Jeff
And this week on E.I., Econ 101. With your host...Jeff...

I havnt noticed this yet..