Pkgbackup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Flash52

Feb 24, 2010
ohio
Hi folks,I installed pkgbackup on my 3gs 2 or 3 months ago.If I had to restore and then rejailbreak would i be able to use my original backup info with a newer version of pkgbackup or should I install the newest version and do a current backup before I restore my iPhone. Thanks!

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I use pkgbackup often since apparently my device doesn't like reboots. But that's another story. One of the latest updates was really good. It included reminders and auto scans and backups. It's a great app.

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
Wow. Installed PkgBackup and it wiped out all of my contacts. The old version never did that. Great upgrade.
That sucks! I started keeping my calendar & contacts in google back when I was on the 3G,
what with all the restores, jailbreaks, syncs, etc. that come with the jailbreak lifestyle.

Jan 18, 2011
South East USA
www.prazim.com
Is there anything you have to have (like SSH or iFile) in order to use PkgBackup? I'm going to have to restore soon because the app store gives me a pop-up every time I update or download an app that says that I have to hook up my iPhone to my computer before i can download that app. Then when I do that it says that an unknown error has occurred and won't put the apps on my phone.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
PkgBackup saves your backup as a contact. So sync your contacts then restore from backup. If you have exchange for email/contacts you don't need to restore from a backup. At least thats how it worked the last time I used it.
Jim

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
You don't need anything more than the pkgbackup application... you install it, back everything up and sync with iTunes.. (it will be added as a contact) Just be sure to sync before you backup.. also id suggest after you backup do a restore on your existing phone/ios to be sure it's functioning properly.. then proceed with the restore of your phone.

Mickrg123

Jun 9, 2009
I am trying to do a restore with pkgbackup and when I hit restore it says I have no internet connection, but I have service, wifi and safari works.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Close, but you don't necessarily need to sync with iTunes to save your backup. There are two ways the app saves a backup... on the phone itself (which is indeed saved with a backup when you sync in iTunes and restored each time you restore the backup, even if your phone isn't jailbroken yet... it's there), or via an emailed contact. Just email the backup to yourself (from PkgBackup), then when your new phone is set up and jailbroken, go to that email and save the contact. Reinstall PkgBackup and run it... it will automatically see this contact and/or phone backup and then you can restore it.

Jan 18, 2011
South East USA
www.prazim.com
Close, but you don't necessarily need to sync with iTunes to save your backup. There are two ways the app saves a backup... on the phone itself (which is indeed saved with a backup when you sync in iTunes and restored each time you restore the backup, even if your phone isn't jailbroken yet... it's there), or via an emailed contact. Just email the backup to yourself (from PkgBackup), then when your new phone is set up and jailbroken, go to that email and save the contact. Reinstall PkgBackup and run it... it will automatically see this contact and/or phone backup and then you can restore it.
Thanks, Dave, offroadhunter. I appreciate it.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
just my own little advice. use the back up to dropbox feature instead of the backup to phone because it creates a different contact group (this is where the information is stored) and you have no way of deleting this group.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I took iPhonewarrior's advice and am using Dropbox to save my pkgbackup.

It's pretty easy, just setup a dropbox account, and there is even a dropbox app in the app store. Don't forget to switch from contacts to dropbox in the pkgbackup settings.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The emailed contact approach is just as safe transportable as the Dropbox method, innit? It's worked every time for me.