Pkgbackup

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by Flash52, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Flash52

Flash52 New Member

Hi folks,I installed pkgbackup on my 3gs 2 or 3 months ago.If I had to restore and then rejailbreak would i be able to use my original backup info with a newer version of pkgbackup or should I install the newest version and do a current backup before I restore my iPhone. Thanks!

2. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Theoretically, it should work. Why wouldn't you install the latest version now though?

3. Flash52

Flash52 New Member

Thanks verbalj I will do just that!

4. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

I use pkgbackup often since apparently my device doesn't like reboots. But that's another story. One of the latest updates was really good. It included reminders and auto scans and backups. It's a great app.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Wow. Installed PkgBackup and it wiped out all of my contacts. The old version never did that. Great upgrade.

6. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Wow, wtf? Sorry man. Knockin' on wood, that hasn't happened to me yet.

7. rojocrandall

rojocrandall Member
    Bronze

That sucks! I started keeping my calendar & contacts in google back when I was on the 3G,
    what with all the restores, jailbreaks, syncs, etc. that come with the jailbreak lifestyle.

8. Redneck1996

Redneck1996 Zealot

Is there anything you have to have (like SSH or iFile) in order to use PkgBackup? I'm going to have to restore soon because the app store gives me a pop-up every time I update or download an app that says that I have to hook up my iPhone to my computer before i can download that app. Then when I do that it says that an unknown error has occurred and won't put the apps on my phone.

9. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

PkgBackup saves your backup as a contact. So sync your contacts then restore from backup. If you have exchange for email/contacts you don't need to restore from a backup. At least thats how it worked the last time I used it.
    Jim

10. Redneck1996

Redneck1996 Zealot

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your post at all.

11. offroadhunter

offroadhunter Member
    Silver

You don't need anything more than the pkgbackup application... you install it, back everything up and sync with iTunes.. (it will be added as a contact) Just be sure to sync before you backup.. also id suggest after you backup do a restore on your existing phone/ios to be sure it's functioning properly.. then proceed with the restore of your phone.

12. Mickrg123

Mickrg123 New Member

I am trying to do a restore with pkgbackup and when I hit restore it says I have no internet connection, but I have service, wifi and safari works.

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Close, but you don't necessarily need to sync with iTunes to save your backup. There are two ways the app saves a backup... on the phone itself (which is indeed saved with a backup when you sync in iTunes and restored each time you restore the backup, even if your phone isn't jailbroken yet... it's there), or via an emailed contact. Just email the backup to yourself (from PkgBackup), then when your new phone is set up and jailbroken, go to that email and save the contact. Reinstall PkgBackup and run it... it will automatically see this contact and/or phone backup and then you can restore it.

14. Redneck1996

Redneck1996 Zealot

Thanks, Dave, offroadhunter. I appreciate it.

15. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Just curious if PkgBackup will back up a theme also. I can't find any confirmation of that.

16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

If you installed it from Cydia it is backed up.

17. Redneck1996

Redneck1996 Zealot

Ok, I just downloaded it and it won't even open. It crashes every time. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Is there anything else that will back up my SB?

18. burniksapwet

burniksapwet Member
    Silver

just my own little advice. use the back up to dropbox feature instead of the backup to phone because it creates a different contact group (this is where the information is stored) and you have no way of deleting this group.

19. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

I took iPhonewarrior's advice and am using Dropbox to save my pkgbackup.

It's pretty easy, just setup a dropbox account, and there is even a dropbox app in the app store. Don't forget to switch from contacts to dropbox in the pkgbackup settings.

20. psylichon

psylichon Genius

The emailed contact approach is just as safe transportable as the Dropbox method, innit? It's worked every time for me.