Plan does not expire, what about 2 year requirement

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Arrakis

Bronze
May 30, 2007
So as all the tv adds stated. 2 year activation code thing. What exactly does that mean. I am already with cingular(so AT&T). And my plan doesn't expire for a while. Will I have to get another 2 year plan?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So as all the tv adds stated. 2 year activation code thing. What exactly does that mean. I am already with cingular(so AT&T). And my plan doesn't expire for a while. Will I have to get another 2 year plan?
You'll just have to call At&t customer service. According to Attingular, the way At&t offers upgrades has completely changed. Your upgrade eligibility is determined by your plan and features that you've been already paying for.

I'm thinking the 2 Year Activation line on the ad is referring to a two year agreement on a data plan that allows you to use all the features displayed on the iPHone. I think At&t is seeing this as an opportunity to gain new customers from other carriers and an opportunity to upgrade the data plans of existing customers. That alone would be a HUGE boost of revenue for At&t.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
if you add a text message plan to your current plan your 2 year contract automatically restarts at the date you alter your contract.

so, if you add a data plan or whatever you need before the iPhone you now have a 'new' 2 year contract for use with the iPhone.

i'm pretty sure that's how it works.

the phone companies will NEVER stop you from signing on with them for a longer period and for more money. that would be bad businesss.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
What exactly does that mean.
The majority of potential iPhone customers are on another network so it's important to state someone will need AT&T service to use the device. It's certainly Apple to trim the fine print down to 1 line. I'm sure they fought with AT&T tooth and nail over that—regardless that anybody reads it anyway. It "needs" to be there or you'll catch heat from the FTC (you can't have folks thinking this is a Tracfone).

Whether current folks you can upgrade remains to be seen but if Apple has their way, I don't know why AT&T would hassle customers. Your current phone is already paid for—I've never understood how money grubbing a customer is good for businesss.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Whether current folks you can upgrade remains to be seen but if Apple has their way, I don't know why AT&T would hassle customers. Your current phone is already paid for—I've never understood how money grubbing a customer is good for businesss.
If there are not enough iPhones available to meet the demand, I can see AT&T limiting which existing customers can buy the iPhone. AT&T would much rather sign a new customer than extend the contract on an existing one. Hopefully there will be plenty of iPhones to go around and everyone that wants one can get one :laugh2:.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
From what Ive heard you do not need to start a new contract. Existing customers get it at the same price

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Basically, you'd have to buy the iPhone at retail cost--which will be well above $600 for two years. On top of that, you'll start a new contract at that time.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Basically, you'd have to buy the iPhone at retail cost--which will be well above $600 for two years. On top of that, you'll start a new contract at that time.
your wrong. read some other posts, an Apple rep said it will be a fixed cost of $499 or $599 no matter what.

think about it , Apple has to sell the phone to anyone that wants one, and if you by one at the Apple store, they do not have authirozation to do anything about your cell phone plan.... so it has to be a fixed cost.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
You're welcome. Glad to help. Okay, time to get back to class kiddo.
Why do you assume I have a class to attend? Unless by class you mean work where I'm making more money then you after only 2 years out of college then you might be right.

have a good day :)

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Why do you assume I have a class to attend? Unless by class you mean work where I'm making more money then you after only 2 years out of college then you might be right.

have a good day :)
Why do you assume you make more money than me? Wow, Happy learned how to spell. Impressive.

Having a great day!

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Why do you assume you make more money than me? Wow, Happy learned how to spell. Impressive.

Having a great day!
I would love to continue this discussion and belittle you in front of all these people, but thats not what EI.com is about, so I'll be the bigger person and end this now.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Not according to At&t customer service impaler. The price will only be $499/$599 for everyone. I'm not sure how they're going to handle people that aren't available for equipment upgrades, but the iPhone will be in an entirely new category at this price. There hasn't been any official mention of a "full retail" price for people that don't qualify for an equipment upgrade.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Not according to At&t customer service impaler. The price will only be $499/$599 for everyone. I'm not sure how they're going to handle people that aren't available for equipment upgrades, but the iPhone will be in an entirely new category at this price. There hasn't been any official mention of a "full retail" price for people that don't qualify for an equipment upgrade.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the customers who aren't eligible for an upgrade. For example, what happens to those unlucky people who lose or have their iPhones stolen. Will they be allowed to buy a replacement iPhone? If so, at what price?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It will be interesting to see how they handle the customers who aren't eligible for an upgrade. For example, what happens to those unlucky people who lose or have their iPhones stolen. Will they be allowed to buy a replacement iPhone? If so, at what price?
It's still very vague. If $499/$599 is full retail for everyone, then why don't existing customers that qualify for equipment upgrades get a discounted price? Who knows! They certainly haven't been very forthcoming with this information yet. I guess we'll know sooner or later.