Plan does not expire, what about 2 year requirement

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Not according to At&t customer service impaler. The price will only be $499/$599 for everyone. I'm not sure how they're going to handle people that aren't available for equipment upgrades, but the iPhone will be in an entirely new category at this price. There hasn't been any official mention of a "full retail" price for people that don't qualify for an equipment upgrade.
I heard different from customer service. It's like usual--depends who you talk to. We'll see. It logically follows it will cost more than the price for a contract versus retail. That's how AT&T usually does businesss.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I heard different from customer service. It's like usual--depends who you talk to. We'll see. It logically follows it will cost more than the price for a contract versus retail. That's how AT&T usually does businesss.
Yep. Nothing really in stone how they're going to handle all of these questions. I figured I would just call once a week or so until someone finally knows some details.

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
So as all the tv adds stated. 2 year activation code thing. What exactly does that mean. I am already with cingular(so AT&T). And my plan doesn't expire for a while. Will I have to get another 2 year plan?
According to my local Cingular corporate store, current customers will not be able to purchase the iPhone unless your current 2 year contract is already expired. I hope this is not true, which would be ridiculous and my current contract isn't up until next March. My local Apple store didn't know all of the details but stated that not allowing current Cingular customers to purchase the iPhone would be about the dumbest thing ever. I guess we'll find out soon.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
According to my local Cingular corporate store, current customers will not be able to purchase the iPhone unless your current 2 year contract is already expired. I hope this is not true, which would be ridiculous and my current contract isn't up until next March. My local Apple store didn't know all of the details but stated that not allowing current Cingular customers to purchase the iPhone would be about the dumbest thing ever. I guess we'll find out soon.
All the local Cingular/At&t guys really know is what they have in print in front of them. I think many of the upgrade rules are about to change with this device. There is no subsidy, so why would they not want you to get a phone? It just doesn't make sense.

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
I agree, it totally would not make sense and I don't think anyone really knows al of the details yet. I'm wondering just how much of a demand there is going to be. I have to work on the 29th and will be out of town.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
All the local Cingular/At&t guys really know is what they have in print in front of them. I think many of the upgrade rules are about to change with this device. There is no subsidy, so why would they not want you to get a phone? It just doesn't make sense.
Unless they are saving the iPhones for new customers so they get bigger commissions :eek:. Luckily, I shouldn't have to worry either way since my current contract expires on 6/29 :cool:. BTW, you can blame me for the release date not being earlier. I called my good bud Steve Jobs and asked him to delay the release until my contract was up :p.