Planning on Buying a Case?

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hello future iPhone owners, have you guys thought of whether or not you will be purchasing a case for your new device? I am weary of getting a screen protector (i.e. invisa-shield) because I don't know how the touch screen will react with the multi-touch gestures. I do know however that I want to protect the phone itself from the very second I get it. A few options available now:

Boxwave's leather slip case-

Any silicone case from eBay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Silicone-...1QQihZ001QQcategoryZ15036QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any other ideas or plans?

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I really do want to protect my $600 baby but I will probably get the slimmest case I can find. The silicone case seems pretty sweet but I don't want to get anything with a clip or something of that nature because I feel as if it might make the iPhone too thick for my liking.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
i'm all about the covers for an ipod, but i don't really want anything for my iPhone.

as expensive and precious and delicate as the phone is i can't see myself getting anything for it (other than a screen protector, maybe)

Arrakis

Bronze
May 30, 2007
I don't need a case, because if any one get's near it unless I say, I will shoot without warning :p

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I really do want to protect my $600 baby but I will probably get the slimmest case I can find. The silicone case seems pretty sweet but I don't want to get anything with a clip or something of that nature because I feel as if it might make the iPhone too thick for my liking.
Good thinking, we don't want to add too much thickness to our 11.6mm beauty!

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I don't need a case, because if any one get's near it unless I say, I will shoot without warning :p
That is something I am starting to freak out about--other people wanting to touch it :mad:

Arrakis

Bronze
May 30, 2007
That is something I am starting to freak out about--other people wanting to touch it :mad:
Yeah you better wash your hands before you touch it. (oh and I need to be holding it while you try it out.):eek:

mc751n

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
I haven't been able to decide yet.. I really want to protect the screen and the back of the iPhone. Does anyone know if the iPhone is going to be like the video iPods? They're ridiculously scratch prone, even with cases/covers. I'll probably cry if I see a scratch on my baby!

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
the back looks like brushed metal...like the ipod mini...so that looks unscratchable.

the only part that looks like it would scratch is the shiny metal part that goes around the edge of the front.

if that scratches....:mad:

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
No case for me, only a screen protector( if one will work):(

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
No case for me, only a screen protector( if one will work):(
with my ipods i have put PDA screen protectors over the front and back, and they are scratch free, when i change the covers every few months, i feel like i got a new ipod because its so fresh and so clean.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
with my ipods i have put PDA screen protectors over the front and back, and they are scratch free, when i change the covers every few months, i feel like i got a new ipod because its so fresh and so clean.
I have done this with my 5G iPod, and I really do like the fact that it is scratch-free. I would love to do that with my iPhone, but I am worried about covering the screen up.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeah, I was just worried about the multi-touch being impaired by the screen cover.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
I have done this with my 5G iPod, and I really do like the fact that it is scratch-free. I would love to do that with my iPhone, but I am worried about covering the screen up.
your ipod videos click wheel operates kind of like the iPhone will, the click wheel needs body heat to work, not just touch. and it still changes the volume when covered by a PDA screen cover.... PDAs work with a screen cover over them and you can still touch the screen.... so why would the iPhone be any different?

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
your ipod videos click wheel operates kind of like the iPhone will, the click wheel needs body heat to work, not just touch. and it still changes the volume when covered by a PDA screen cover.... PDAs work with a screen cover over them and you can still touch the screen.... so why would the iPhone be any different?
That's a good point. For all we know, it could be the exact same.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Yeah, I was just worried about the multi-touch being impaired by the screen cover.
the multi touch has nothing to do with the screen, it has to do with the software running for the screen to recongnize more then one input at a time, thats all.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Don't get that silicon one. People will make fun of you because your phone looks stupid :p

And do we know if screen protectors will work yet? I know you need your finger to touch the screen.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Don't get that silicon one. People will make fun of you because your phone looks stupid :p

And do we know if screen protectors will work yet? I know you need your finger to touch the screen.
Here is what I found out from Apple regarding screen protectors:

Thank you for your email. We understand that you have a concern
regarding the compatibility of iPhone screen protectors with the iPhone
itself.

Occasionally, third party companies introduce accessories based on
preliminary information about Apple products which have not yet been
released.

Customers should not make a purchasing decision until the product is
formally released and compatibility has been tested.

Doesn't tell us a whole bunch unfortunately, but I thought I would share it with you all.