Planning on pre-ordering iPhone 5 and need feedback on what to expect

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mmamanx

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Ok so I just sold my iPhone 4S and am ready to get an iPhone 5, here is my situation, I am on a family account on att but I am not the account holder, I can do everything but upgrade a phone, the account holder is in another state and I just help with the bill. I am in NYC and have been already told by att that I can upgrade in store myself, so I went to the Apple store and went through the checkout process for upgrading to a 4S, entered my info and what not and everything worked fine! My plan showed up and everything, I could even schedule a pick up at the grand central store, so Im guessing I can do the same for the 5, pre order it friday and just pick it up when its in.

Here are my questions, will the Apple site probably be super crazy friday? When you pre order through Apple how does it work? You pick your upgrade options and whether you want to ship or pick it up just like I was doing earlier? Do they charge the money when you pre order?

Overall I hope this goes through fine, hopefully now that its on 3 carriers things wont be TOO hectic but we'll see...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the Apple website will be busy on Friday for the pre-ordering stage. You could try and pre-order it late Thursday night. I'm not exactly sure what time Friday it will be available to pre-order.

As far as pre-order charge, on my family plan to upgrade, it's a $36 upgrade fee. Do they charge the money when you pre-order? If I understand that correctly, I am not positive. Usually businessses have to have an immediate payment, whether cash or credit card, before the pre-order process finishes. The pre-order process is pretty simple. You will have to enter your AT&T information and provide them with which phone you want to upgrade. Then you can choose the shipping address or enter a new one to where you want it shipped to. I always have it shipped to me because it's easier, but I'm, once again, assuming you can opt to pick it up when it's available and delivered to your local AT&T store or other location.

mmamanx

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
yes I went to radio shack today and they said they will start pre orders tomorrow but as I am not the account holder I cant do it, Im hoping it all goes well through the Apple site, just pre order and go pick it it, that simple. Hopefully there is plenty of stock to go around, I want my white 64gb!

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
yes I went to radio shack today and they said they will start pre orders tomorrow but as I am not the account holder I cant do it, Im hoping it all goes well through the Apple site, just pre order and go pick it it, that simple. Hopefully there is plenty of stock to go around, I want my white 64gb!
Wow 64GB!? I've always stuck with the 16GB and been just fine. I don't save photos to my phone or videos. I post them to Facebook then remove from iPhone. I do have songs though and 75 apps or so.

Good luck on pre-ordering. It should be smooth.

mmamanx

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Wow 64GB!? I've always stuck with the 16GB and been just fine. I don't save photos to my phone or videos. I post them to Facebook then remove from iPhone. I do have songs though and 75 apps or so.

Good luck on pre-ordering. It should be smooth.
Ha yes, I have a good amount of apps and a lot of lossless music which eats up space like crazy, I also wanna take a lot of pictures in the future as well, I have a 32gb and am down to a gig lol!

But yes thanks, hope all goes smooth.