Plausible Renderings Depict Ultra-Thin iPhone 6 with Sapphire Glass Backing

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

So Samsung is infatuated with big screens, Apple's infatuation seems to be with thinness. I really wouldn't mind a thicker phone with better battery life, Apple!

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A thinner, larger iPhone could still house a better battery - or more efficient hardware/software.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

How does thinner make a phone better? I want something I can grasp.

5. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

The way I see it....if it's thinner but wider it may not feel as big for people who don't have big hands. IMO

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Mine will have a bulky case on it anyway. :D

7. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

This time around I'm waiting until lifeproof makes a case first. I waited outside Verizon for the 5s on release day but that's only b/c I knew my LP can be used from my 5

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'd buy it when I get another upgrade on my Verizon service. That would be in February.

10. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I agree. The 4/4s and 5/5s are the epitome of elegance and balance IMO. Much thinner and I'm thinking fragility, especially if it's also wider. For my lifestyle I want a hearty device that can withstand the rigors of living in a LifeProof case 24/7/359, but not feel delicate on the rare occasions I let it run around nekkid. I like a touch of heft in a quality handheld device. On that note, wasn't the 4 thinner yet heavier than the 3GS?

I see what you're saying, but having big hands myself, I'm still trying to grasp this model not feeling bigger based on thinness alone. It's difficult to imagine going on visuals alone.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'd love to see a thinner, rounder iPhone. I've had my iPhone 5s out of the case for a few days and it's really not that comfortable to hold. Slightly rounded sides would make it more comfortable to hold.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

A beveled edge would be ok. That would feel better to grasp.

13. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I would buy something like that.
    Tom

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I will be upgrading to the 6, confident that Apple will continue to make hardware and design choices that make sense and work well.

I'm sure I'll be as stoked with the 6 as I was the 3GS, the 4S and the 5 :D

15. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Personally, I'm against the thin design as you are more prone to have the phone slip from your hands and crack. If there is a bit of weight, it actually feels like you have a phone and not a paperweight.

16. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I don't use a case on my 5 because I don't like adding bulk and I agree. It can def be uncomfortable to hold. Slick too which makes it hard on your hands to keep a tight grip on it to not drop it... A rounded more ergonomic shape would be perfect with maybe a grippier surface(my 4 was more grippy than my 5 IMHO).

Sent using iCafe app

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think many phone buyers are ranking ultra thinness high on their hardware/design wish list. I think most are pretty happy with the thickness of the iPhone 5s. What people want is a faster device with better battery life and an option for a bigger screen. So why would Apple spend exorbitant amounts creating an ultra thin model if it isn't in demand? The manufacturing and design challenges of making this wouldn't be worth the payoff. It's not like this phone would blow our minds, especially if it had poor battery life - and it probably would. Polymer Li-Ion batteries can't just be flattened out and made longer to retain the same charging potential. They have lots of paper-thin folded layers, sort of like a slinky. They rely on these folds to maximize surface area and provide a decent charge. Unless this phone is using some new credit card-thin battery technology, which would likely be very expensive at this point, I'd say the odds of this being real aren't very good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It's going to take more than an ultra-thin sleek design to convince me to the purchase the next iPhone. I completely agree that battery life should be high up there on the todo list. I would really like to see Apple take advantage of the hardware even more so than they already are. It brings to mind the Samsung Galaxy S5 which can do pretty much anything and even has a few features that Apple has not incorporated into their devices.

19. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

If that's what the phone will look like then Apple, TAKE MY MONEY!

20. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Looks good to me