Playing videos on my iPhone 3G

besian

Apr 4, 2009
Hi everyone.
I have recently bought the iPhone 3G, the 8G black version, unlocked.
I am trying to put in it some videos, such as movies, tv series, etc, but i seem not to be able to.
I converted my avi files to either mp4 or 3gp. i tried this through videora and other 3gp videoconverters as well. i managed to have iTunes read and play these video files. But when i try to copy them on my iPhone, it tells me that "files could not be copied to iPhone because they cannot be played on this iPhone". Can anyone tell me what am i doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
I am using Cucusoft (not free but cheap) and it works awesome. I can even adjust the output file size to fit my phone free space.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Hi everyone.
I have recently bought the iPhone 3G, the 8G black version, unlocked.
I am trying to put in it some videos, such as movies, tv series, etc, but i seem not to be able to.
I converted my avi files to either mp4 or 3gp. i tried this through videora and other 3gp videoconverters as well. i managed to have iTunes read and play these video files. But when i try to copy them on my iPhone, it tells me that "files could not be copied to iPhone because they cannot be played on this iPhone". Can anyone tell me what am i doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.
I cannot be MP4 or3gp. It has to be a H.264 converted. I recommend Handbrake to do the conversions. It's free.

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
Handbrake does an excellent job of converting vids for me. I use .m4v for the file extension.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I hear handbrake is great for a free app. I use DVD catalyst, it works great.. but for a price.

floxir

Oct 29, 2007
I cannot be MP4 or3gp. It has to be a H.264 converted. I recommend Handbrake to do the conversions. It's free.
It can be MP4 format, H.264 is a kind of video encoder, .mp4 is video format container, iPhone does play mp4 files.

Video specification for iPhone
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
You can also learn why iTunes won't sync certain videos here

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
A simple search, and the op could have found his answer.

Use any video converter, and convert the original file to .m4v so iTunes can read it.
Drag the file into iTunes and it'll load.
Connect the iPhone/device and sync the movie over.

Use search please, this Question has been answered so many times.