playing wav files via email

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

edwardlotz

Jan 29, 2007
I get wav files through exchange emails. These are my voice mail left for me at work.

Is there anyway to play these...I can through quicktime on my mac...but the iPhone will not. It does recognize them as an attachment but nothing happens when clicking on them.

dawesten

Jul 18, 2007
Same WAV file request

I get wav files through exchange emails. These are my voice mail left for me at work.

Is there anyway to play these...I can through quicktime on my mac...but the iPhone will not. It does recognize them as an attachment but nothing happens when clicking on them.
I have the identical need and am anxious to find a solution.

D

Hmind

Jul 17, 2007
Well if you need a workaround, if you can access your email via a web-based solution you should be able to open the wav file from safari. Again thats a work-around not a solution, I seem to be unable to play wav's from mail either :( .

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

"Audio formats supported: AAC, Protected AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 1, 2, and 3), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV".

So somewhere in the iPhone WAV's should play. They'll probably play in iPod mode if you sync them via iTunes.

You could also see if you have webmail access to your work account, and see if Safari will play them.

But WAV files don't play in Mail on the iPhone (only Excel, Word, and PDF attachments are supported at the moment). For that matter, they don't play in Mail.app on a Mac OS computer either, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

The only other option I can think of at the moment is to forward your work number to your cell phone, and use the visual voicemail in the phone rather than the WAV files through email option.

Check with work IT folks. Whoever products the product that creates the WAV files probably has been asked this question before, and your work IT can ask their software supplier if they have an iPhone (or any other cell phone) compatible solution.

Jul 19, 2007
You can re-encode or convert your .wav. Most voice mail servers seem to encode gsm or mu-law.

BUT the important part is that you ONLY have your iPhone and no access to iTunes or an application like QuickTime.

Alternate: use something like http://www.iPhoneConvert.com (you forward the file, then a weblink is sent since Safari will play audio... Mail will not). Once you listen, you just delete the message.

Vonage: uses mu-law and this type of encoding is not recognized by iPhone's Safari.... bummer.

Jan 29, 2007
You can re-encode or convert your .wav. Most voice mail servers seem to encode gsm or mu-law.

BUT the important part is that you ONLY have your iPhone and no access to iTunes or an application like QuickTime.

Alternate: use something like http://www.iPhoneConvert.com (you forward the file, then a weblink is sent since Safari will play audio... Mail will not). Once you listen, you just delete the message.

Vonage: uses mu-law and this type of encoding is not recognized by iPhone's Safari.... bummer.

I signed up for iPhoneconvert...but there is no instructions I can find anywhere on the website....am I missing something.