Playtime is over! How do you use your iPhone professionally?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
We've all played the tunes, watched the videos, and entertained the kids with Elmo. We've played with Dress Up and Band, iPhysics'ed ourselves silly, and Google Maps'ed the local Starbucks. But when it comes right down to it, the iPhone is a pretty darn handy device for our professional/student lives as well. So tell everyone what you're using it for and how it helps you -- and any tips you have as a road warrior/student.

Here's my list - for both my day job and my volunteer work:

DAY JOB: Sales engineer for a crypto key management company.

1. Check flight schedules and status on airline web sites.

2. Use Weather Underground to check the weather in my destination city.

3. Use Google Maps to plan my route to the hotel/client, or find a local drug store/restaurant/computer shop.

4. Fring keeps me in contact with my Skype contacts - which is a lot of people in the office.

5. Email, of course.

6. VNSea and terminal to manage my boxes at home via VNC and SSH.

7. iPark to keep track of where I parked at the airport.

8. iPod for plane rides and long airport layovers.

9. Clock's alarm function is my traveling alarm clock.

10. AP, Fox News, and Tampa Bay Online's iPhone websites to keep up with the world.

VOLUNTEER WORK: Communications Officer and Urban Direction Finding Team Leader in the Civil Air Patrol, US Air Force Auxiliary

1. Google Maps to plot the possible locations of emergency beacons that we go find from the lat/long pairs we get from the Air Force. Also for restaurants while we wait for updated lat/long pairs.

2. PDF viewer to view regulations and manuals.

3. Weather Underground to keep an eye out for severe weather.

4. Mobile web sites for airport data and aircraft registration to gain access to each when needed.

5. Notes to store needed data about the mission.

TIPS:

1. Carry an external battery pack for long flights or layovers - I carry two with me - one rechargeable, one that uses AA batteries.

2. Retractable data/synch cables are about $2.00 from DealExtreme.com - at that price, you can have a handful. Great for traveling.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34

3. DLO makes the only coiled car charger I've seen for the iPhone - and it's at Best Buy for $20.00!

4. I really wanted a set of headphones that I could use for phone/iPod functionality but not have to wind up and store every time I was finished with them, and unwind and plug in frantically when a call came in. I finally settled on the Rivet and am happy with it, especially for the price. No, it's not audiophile heaven, but it gets the job done well and I can wear it all day but not have the buds in my ears all that time.
http://www.amazon.com/Rivet-Stereo-Earphones-Headset-Compatible/dp/B000SSSUG0

5. I leave automatic mail checking OFF, but WiFi and Bluetooth ON and still get 2 days or so of standby time. If I charge every night, I know I'm good all day. If I forget, I car charge or use one of the battery packs.

6. Media Coder for converting videos (like ripped TV shows from TiVo) rocks. Handbrake for quickly ripping DVDs. (Windows)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
geek squad agent:

1) testing various ipod components in the store (docks, cables, iTunes on people's computers)

2) testing wifi on-the-spot without having to lug around a laptop.

3) on-the spot email client. Our network blocks all email (clients or web interface), so if i need it to check email solutions for people (ie send a test email), it's right there.

4) notes to jot down ip addresses, activation keys, etc.

5) mojo. It's only right that a Geek has an iPhone. When i use it, customers give me that : "of course he has an iPhone" look.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
More people will be able to answer this after the iPhone 2.0 software is released/available. I got rid of my iPhone in February because I couldn't use it for work.

Joe

Hmmmm? I don't use it a whole lot for businesss but I do use it for:

1) Email, of course.
2) Texting other departments/people
3) VNSea into work servers
4) Google Maps to get directions to other sites

Besides that I set about 10 million reminders for myself each day. (I'm old.. the mind is gone) Also use it for appointments and meetings and such.

I do really wish someone would hurry up and get Yahoo IM working on it, since everybody here uses it to keep in contact during the day.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

1. Email clients
2. All sessions on calendar, syncs to wife's phone so she knows when I'll be home
3. Seeqpod reference tracks when producing or mixing
4. Voice recorder for quick musical ideas (I'm jailbroken)
5. Pianist to find pitches when tuning vocals or instruments, or as guide tone for vocalists
6. Other virtual instruments just to get a big smile from clients
7. Camera to take photos of gear for recall purposes
8. iRovr to blog interesting sessions to my friends
9. Notepad to jot times for punches
10. Safari to surf here while recording take after take of that horrible 9 minute song.

Once we get a wifi router at the studio (yeah, I know), I'll use VNsea to run the transport when I'm the one at the piano or singing.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

1. Email clients
2. All sessions on calendar, syncs to wife's phone so she knows when I'll be home
3. Seeqpod reference tracks when producing or mixing
4. Voice recorder for quick musical ideas (I'm jailbroken)
5. Pianist to find pitches when tuning vocals or instruments, or as guide tone for vocalists
6. Other virtual instruments just to get a big smile from clients
7. Camera to take photos of gear for recall purposes
8. iRovr to blog interesting sessions to my friends
9. Notepad to jot times for punches
10. Safari to surf here while recording take after take of that horrible 9 minute song.

Once we get a wifi router at the studio (yeah, I know), I'll use VNsea to run the transport when I'm the one at the piano or singing.
If you weren't so feckin blurry looking, you'd be a virtual poster boy for the iPhone and all its multimedia power and such. :laugh2:

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
I work for a certain mapping company. I got the chance to ride along in one of our mobile mapping vans a few weeks ago. We were out verifying unmapped streets. The resource only gave us a general location in east bumblefook. I was able to pull up the sat imagery in google maps and pinpoint the actual road. Pretty funny considering the thousand of dollars worth of technology packed in to the van couldn't make the verification.