Please allow me to reintroduce myself

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
It took me a long time to do this but here it is.

My name is Jose Jesus Valdez (I just go by Jesus or Jesse) [jjvaldez] I was born on January 23, 1985 in Salinas, California to 2 very young immigrant parents; mom 14 pops 17. I grew up in a shitty part of town full of gangs and violence [this is not the time to claim that your hood is harder, this is not about that]. Although I was gang associated I was never in a gang, for this I have my strict mother to thank.

I got involved in football when I was 9, I always wanted to do base ball too but I lived to far from the local team for anyone to take me to games/practice, so I waited till I was in HS to play. I played football, ran track, and played baseball for two years [I also played golf for fun, not on a team]. In addition to sports I was Senior Class President. I also coached a 6th grade basketball team. I was the first to graduate HS from many others that had attempted in my family.

In HS I was in the top 10% of my class so I got the opportunity to go to the University of California, Davis. It was the best time of my life; I was out of the hood! I was with people that where in to school and into partying. I had never been to a party where people didn’t en up shot till I was at Davis, I LOVED challenging thoughts and ideas in class; I was never quiet and always expressed my opinions, and thoughts. To this day I still believe that I got ripped off on grades because I challenged teachers too much. While at Davis I met a wonderful girl that was also from Salinas, she was from the good part of town and went to a private school, which is why we never met in Salinas. From Davis, I graduated with a BA in Chicano Studies [Mexican American Studies] and Film Studies.

I know reside in Sacramento living with my GF in our cool little 2-bedroom apartment.

Other Random tings about me:
I suck at spelling and don’t care…
I have a weird habit of doing things my way and I don’t care that it bothers others, ie. irovr “blog” and not photo post…
I eat subway everyday.
Love my pup, it’s my gf’s but after hating her for a yr I love her now.
Don’t have many friends because I don’t like the drama associated with it. [I’m kind of a jerk, if there is noting that I can gain from hanging out with you then I just won’t]
I like Diet Coke/Pepsi.
I like all sorts of electronics.
I hate the heat, prefer cold/rain
I like snowboarding
First time that I went to Disney Land I was 19 and I LOVE it now, and try to make it out there once a year.

I don’t know what else to say, many of you know me already but feel free to ask and depending on that you ask, I might reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
Me and Jess

Another me and Jess

ME, only recent pic i have so i use it a lot

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Nice JJ. I love Disneyland, love it so much I got a job there. I also have family who works there too. I work in the stores on Main Street, if you see a Connie name tag thats me, I'm the only Connie there.
But back to you,
Cool pictures, nice family & gf!

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
Nice JJ. I love Disneyland, love it so much I got a job there. I also have family who works there too. I work in the stores on Main Street, if you see a Connie name tag thats me, I'm the only Connie there.
But back to you,
i really do love it there..

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Hey. Was the picture of you and Bella staged, or were you really asleep?

And btw, Bella's cool :)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
i really do love it there..
You should see it when its closed and no one is around, it's awesome to stroll main street. I have gotten off work at 2 am and the streets of Disney are all wet from being hosed down and the lights are low and it's beautiful but eery, I once thought I saw the ghost of Walt over by the train station.;)

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
But back to you,
I wish you had said that back in June when I spent a week in Disneyland for a businesss conference. :)

I took one of the days off from the conference to walk around the park, shop for souvenirs. I was probably the only one there listening to podcasts while walking around and getting a nice farmer's tan on my feet!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
JJ,

Great reveal. This last trip to Disneyland, I had the opportunity to link up with Ramesh and have dinner at a restaurant near Knotts Berry Farm. I hope circumstances are better next time, and that more of us can actually get together.

The reverse is true as well. Look me up if ever in the DC area. :)

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
You should see it when its closed and no one is around, it's awesome to stroll main street. I have gotten off work at 2 am and the streets of Disney are all wet from being hosed down and the lights are low and it's beautiful but eery, I once thought I saw the ghost of Walt over by the train station.;)
ghost, yikes!

i was there late one summer night and indeed it is cool...

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Nice reveal man ;)
-You seem like a pretty uum "grizzled". . .In the points you've made saying that you don't have many friends and that if you don't have a use for them then you wont be friends with them :eek: haha!
-I don't know, don't take this to offense or anything but I think you should of went to college and majored in Business cause you seem to have a perfect businesss sense, ya kno the not bull taking boss not here to be your friend kinda guy ya kno ;)

But anyways Awesome reveal, you've had my respect for awhile but seeing this is definitely a +rep :laugh2:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Really excellent job jj. Great pics and great writeup, and pretty damn cool what you've accomplished so far, seems like probably lots more to come ...

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
JJ, thanks for the time and effort it took to post this reveal! I had no idea of your background, of growing up in the hood, etc. Kudos to you for not getting into a gang. Now our joking on IRC about your biker mouth makes perfect sense. ;) You have so many sibs, holidays must be nuts, but fun. There are eight kids in your family? WOW! Anyway, it's impressive that you've accomplished so much; let it continue! I have a feeling it will. :)