Please Don't Be True......

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dietPEPSI

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Is this true?

Im gonna be charged for using the edge network? I thought everything was free....but i just heard they are gonna charge you extra depending on how much you use EDGE...

If thats true i cant tell you how mad im gonna be.....internet browser is the main reason i bought the phone.....

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Is this true?

Im gonna be charged for using the edge network? I thought everything was free....but i just heard they are gonna charge you extra depending on how much you use EDGE...

If thats true i cant tell you how mad im gonna be.....internet browser is the main reason i bought the phone.....
All iPhone plans include unlimited data, so youre fine

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Surf all you want. You have an unlimited data plan! Whoever told you thatwas misinformed.
Well there have been stories from all carriers that if you use too much, although no one can define what too much is, then it is possible for the carrier to drop you for voilating your service agreement. Although this usually happens when one tethers the phone to the PC and downloads a lot of data.

I guess the point is never say never. If you feel like reading the legal mumbo-jumbo from AT&T you can find the TOS here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well there have been stories from all carriers that if you use too much, although no one can define what too much is, then it is possible for the carrier to drop you for voilating your service agreement. Although this usually happens when one tethers the phone to the PC and downloads a lot of data.

I guess the point is never say never. If you feel like reading the legal mumbo-jumbo from AT&T you can find the TOS here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp
I think one would have to use EDGE a LOT in order to attract AT&T's attention. Not saying it isn't possible but I don't really see it as something worth thinking about.

--
Mike

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Where did you read this? It doesn't sound remotely believable.
Heh. We're talking about wireless carriers. ANYTHING is believable :eek:

In the contract (did you read it yet?) it says that 300K is the max picture size. Doesn't say anything about charging more, but I wouldn't be surprised.

For instance, they DO charge an extra amount ($0.50 ?) for sending a text message to someone out of the United States.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Heh. We're talking about wireless carriers. ANYTHING is believable :eek:

In the contract (did you read it yet?) it says that 300K is the max picture size. Doesn't say anything about charging more, but I wouldn't be surprised.

For instance, they DO charge an extra amount ($0.50 ?) for sending a text message to someone out of the United States.
I still don't buy it. The naysayers would be all over this like glue, and this time they would have a valid argument indeed.

What I think is much more plausible is that AT&T lifted verbiage from other TOS's and without realizing it may or may not have placed the same items in the iPhone's TOS. Doesn't mean they will actually enforce it. There is a lot of crap in there that would put them at risk of being sued if they tried to enforce it.

I know for a fact that I've sent email (via EDGE) with attachments exceeding 500 KB. If I am charged for this you can bet I will raise hell (nothing showing on my account). But I seriously doubt that I will be.

--
Mike

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
This was probably talking multimedia messages, not emails. For them to know about the sizes of attatchments in your email takes a whole different level of monitoring of http traffic that I think would be much crazier than the usual wireless carrier craziness.

This is true despite the reported collection of info on your traffic and invasion of privacy complaints. It's one thing to collect this data for mining and "security concerns" and quite another to be able to use it for billing purposes in this fashion.