Please give your opinion on the iPhone 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.

inletdoc

Jan 11, 2007
I have a first generation iPhone, and love it. I would however like to have 3g access to the net and GPS would be a plus. Are you really happy with the 3g or do you wish you had stayed with the 1st generation?

I've heard of reception problems, how is yours? Thanks in advance..

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, I don't have the 3G so probably shouldn't be replying since you are asking 3G owners. But I will anyway.:)
This phone was brought out too early IMO. It seems to me that Apples is using their customers as beta testers. The phone has many problems with 3G being a big one. If you search this forum you will see that a lot of people have to turn 3G off to get cell reception. Dropped calls are the norm instead of the exception for a vast majority. This is just a small sample of the problems this phone has. I would strongly suggest you stick with the V1(which is what I have done) and wait for the next generation phone which will hopefully be much better.

PS: Most 3G owners are likely to tell you to get the phone. Do some poking around in the 3G threads and make you own decision.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
It's swings and roundabouts if you ask me. Some people are on their first phone and have not had many problems at all. Whereas some people have exchanged numerous phones and are still having problems.

I returned my first iPhone due to light leakage issues and thought that was the only issue. My second phone turned out to be so very different to the first. It has no light leakage, the GPS locator is so much quicker, I get better reception, connecting to my home WiFi is quicker, the list goes on. So I guess my first phone had quite a few issues that only came to light when I got the second one.

But I do agree with DTurner in that it seems like Apple used us all as guinea pigs for the new 3G phone. I'm not sure if Apple has a beta testing process in place, but it sure does not look like it. I think Apple will eventually get all the bugs fixed in the 3G, only to release the V3 iPhone and have all the problems start all over again. This is just my opinion.

I know I am going to get flack for this, but if you still really want 3G and GPS, then maybe check out some other phones, like the new Blackberry that is due to come out soon. No harm in keeping your options open.

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
I am a new 3G iPhone user and I thinkthe phone is amazing! However I have had problems with it just like everybody else. The keyboard bogs down still and that really gets to me. As well as not having service in places I know for a fact I should. It's a great phone but I agree with everybody else Apple uses us as beta testers for sure.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I have a v1 and will be keeping it. You have to consider this also. A lot of people that never owned a PDA phone or an iPhone purchased the iPhone 3G. The lower price made it much more attractive. Those people, even with all the well documented problems of the 3G iPhone, had to get one. They think the iPhone 3G is the best thing, since sliced bread. Which if you came from a flip phone, it probably is.

I guess purchasing a 3G iPhone comes down to the question. Do you want to be an Apple beta tester?

Apple seriously dropped the ball on the 3G iPhone. I think it was a dumb marketing move (Their stock price is confirming that). Why would you make a superior phone and take the market by storm, only to follow up with a problem laddened piece of junk.

Like I said in another post, Apple first served champange (v1) then before the evening was over, switched to beer (v2)...Mark

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I had a v1 up until last week. I like the 3g way better (especially after I jailbroke it and installed all kinds of cool stuff and custom fonts, etc.). I'm getting 1.40+ mbps download all the time. Reception is perfect and 0 dropped calls so far. Plus the black on black looks bad ass!

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
I got 250 dollars in Apple gift cards and so I took the plunge yesterday. So the phone cost me 50 dollars. I notice a few things, first the phone came with 2.0.2 loaded on it. Second the buying process at the Apple store was effortless. Third, setting up the new phone was easy. fourth, the 3g works, sometimes i only have 1 bar but it still is much faster than Edge. The sound quality on calls is better, and i have yet to drop a call. The gps works even with one bar of 3g. the battery life is not bad with 3g on, wifi off, and light usage (texting, web, youtube, ipod, a few phone calls). Overall I am satisfied. Also I will be paying less per month as now my corporate discount will apply.

However, I am not going to sell my v1 iPhone just yet... :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Glad you like it and hope it continues to preform in the future as it does now. Hopefully you got one of the good ones.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I guess purchasing a 3G iPhone comes down to the question. Do you want to be an Apple beta tester?

Apple seriously dropped the ball on the 3G iPhone. I think it was a dumb marketing move (Their stock price is confirming that). Why would you make a superior phone and take the market by storm, only to follow up with a problem laddened piece of junk.
I think you're completely off base. There's no problems with the 3g hardware. It's the 2.0 firmware that's buggy. If you have a v1 iPhone with 2.0 firmware, you're gonna think your phone is a "problem laddened piece of junk" too. Like I said before, I had the v1 iPhone since it came out last year and finally upgraded to the 3g iPhone last week and I'm glad I did. You wouldn't be putting down the 3g if you bought it and played with it for a week. It's MUCH BETTER than the v1 iPhone IMO.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Well, I don't have the 3G so probably shouldn't be replying since you are asking 3G owners. But I will anyway.:)
This phone was brought out too early IMO. It seems to me that Apples is using their customers as beta testers. The phone has many problems with 3G being a big one. If you search this forum you will see that a lot of people have to turn 3G off to get cell reception. Dropped calls are the norm instead of the exception for a vast majority. This is just a small sample of the problems this phone has. I would strongly suggest you stick with the V1(which is what I have done) and wait for the next generation phone which will hopefully be much better.

PS: Most 3G owners are likely to tell you to get the phone. Do some poking around in the 3G threads and make you own decision.
I don't understand how people are saying they get bad reception. I have great reception any where I go. Maybe because I live in LA and 3g service is pretty good out here. The people that are complaining about bad reception must be living in the boonies where 3g service is non existent.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think you're completely off base. There's no problems with the 3g hardware. It's the 2.0 firmware that's buggy. If you have a v1 iPhone with 2.0 firmware, you're gonna think your phone is a "problem laddened piece of junk" too.
Have to disagree on this. I have the V1 running 2.0.2 and am having absolutely no problems. I can download apps from the phone(which I do 90% of the time) and have no crash problem. I don't get dropped calls,safari crash,ect.
Reading these threads in the forum has developed a pattern that the 3G has way more issues then the V1 running the same firmware.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Have to disagree on this. I have the V1 running 2.0.2 and am having absolutely no problems. I can download apps from the phone(which I do 90% of the time) and have no crash problem. I don't get dropped calls,safari crash,ect.
Reading these threads in the forum has developed a pattern that the 3G has way more issues then the V1 running the same firmware.
I have to disagree with you again. My girlfriend has a v1 iPhone running 2.02 and she complains about all the bugs in it. I have a jailbroken 3g on 2.02 and none of my apps have crashed. 0 dropped calls. Safari doesn't crash. I live in LA so my 3g service is excellent. No complaints here. If you live in LA, make the switch and get the 3g! It blows the v1 away! Calls are much clearer, the speaker is much louder and it just looks and feels much better than the v1.

And once Orb is ported over to 2.0, streaming live TV over 3g will be ridiculously sweet. They're already beta testing Orb on the 3g iPhone and they're saying that the picture quality is like watching it over wi-fi.

Jul 28, 2008
Calgary
This is my first non Windows Mobile smartphone and I have to say ithe iPhone is much better than every WM phone I had, including Windows Mobile PDA's. I don't have to reboot it everyday and for basic functions, the iPhone works well. It is not near as fast as Apple tells us as there are days it takes a few minutes to get connected to mail. The browser also performs slow most days. The keyboard isn't too bad, at least with iPhone you can use your finger, something the WM phones don't allow. Limited GPS functionality compared to WM though, I had Garmin Mobile installed on my WM phone and it was awesome! I love the iPod integration as I listen to a lot of music everyday. Safari, should be called SoFarAdvanced compared to IE. IE would lock up every single day and the display of most websites was unreadable, unless they were specifically designed for WM. I installed the RDP app from the Apps Store and that works really well on the iPhone. Really helps if you ever get into a bind and need to connect back to your server to support it. I couldn't find a proper client for the WM phone that works like the iPhone app!

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
It is not near as fast as Apple tells us as there are days it takes a few minutes to get connected to mail. The browser also performs slow most days.
Where do you live? I run the speed test all the time and I'm consistently getting 1.40 mbps or higher, which is 9 times faster than EDGE.

Jul 28, 2008
Calgary
I live in Calgary, Canada. One thing I have noticed consistently is if you have search for wi-fi on, there is a lag everytime it finds a new one. The popup shows asking if you want to connect and for a minute or so, the iPhone lags before it switches back to the 3G network. Also, if you connect to a wi-fi source and it doesn't allow you to connect to the internet (MAC security enabled) , it takes a long time before your wi-fi times out and the iPhone starts to talk through the 3G port. This has caught me a few times because as I walk past these wifi connections, your iPhone will automatically reconnect if you don't use the "Forget this network" option!

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Just upgrade already. Steve Jobs demands it. ;)

I love mine. It is a better world with it.

Mar 23, 2008
dover,tn
black jack 2007 here
i live in the boonies and the reception is very good on my 3g and my v1 my husband kept the v1 love both phones but i miss sending pic we have family everywhere the iPhones owners just are speical it's just like being in a club.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
My 3G Experience, An adventure

I was the one that posted I thought the 3G was nothing more than an expensive music player and got flamed! Took it back and apologized. Then I posted that I bought one and was going to give it 30 days. well I bought a 3G and used it side by side with my Q for 29 days, but was not totally convinced. In my side by side testing I found that the 3G worked better than My Q did in the places I traveled to in the 29 days. well the 30 days is up and I.................. Kept the 3G and love for 2 reasons. 1. I am tired of Verizon's Bull $hit and 2. The 3G is really cool and works for me, no problems no lock ups, no jail break, no hijack, no nothing but a stock 3G and lucky I can afford one. So for those of you (and you know who you are Thanks) for the advice. If you are coming from a windows based smart phone there is a learning curve but hang in there there is nothing out there that compares to the iPhone. Thanks for reading, Flame away.

BTW, I have had no Dropped calls, as I have had recently with my Q on the verizon network!

John

PS: just about have the Wife talked inti one then there will be no more Verizon. :)

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
My first iPhone had the exact same problem. It would not connect to my home WiFi for the hell of it. I would have to go into the WiFi settings everytime and setup it all up again. But my second iPhone has no issues at all connecting to my home WiFi now. You may have a bum phone there.

I am running under WPA2 - AES with Mac filtering on. And my iPhone connects 100% of the time now. I just flick WiFi on, go back to the home screen and it connects.

I live in Calgary, Canada. One thing I have noticed consistently is if you have search for wi-fi on, there is a lag everytime it finds a new one. The popup shows asking if you want to connect and for a minute or so, the iPhone lags before it switches back to the 3G network. Also, if you connect to a wi-fi source and it doesn't allow you to connect to the internet (MAC security enabled) , it takes a long time before your wi-fi times out and the iPhone starts to talk through the 3G port. This has caught me a few times because as I walk past these wifi connections, your iPhone will automatically reconnect if you don't use the "Forget this network" option!

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I was the one that posted I thought the 3G was nothing more than an expensive music player and got flamed! Took it back and apologized. Then I posted that I bought one and was going to give it 30 days. well I bought a 3G and used it side by side with my Q for 29 days, but was not totally convinced. In my side by side testing I found that the 3G worked better than My Q did in the places I traveled to in the 29 days. well the 30 days is up and I.................. Kept the 3G and love for 2 reasons. 1. I am tired of Verizon's Bull $hit and 2. The 3G is really cool and works for me, no problems no lock ups, no jail break, no hijack, no nothing but a stock 3G and lucky I can afford one. So for those of you (and you know who you are Thanks) for the advice. If you are coming from a windows based smart phone there is a learning curve but hang in there there is nothing out there that compares to the iPhone. Thanks for reading, Flame away.

BTW, I have had no Dropped calls, as I have had recently with my Q on the verizon network!

John

PS: just about have the Wife talked inti one then there will be no more Verizon. :)
Glad you decided to actually look into the 3G rather than dismissing it. For all the software issues, and signal issues (I have dropped calls in my home all the time), the 3G easily makes up in the overall benefit through the features of the device. A great tool, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.