PLEASE HELP! ASAP! All My iTunes Music is Missing!

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by cohenb43, Mar 29, 2013.

1. cohenb43

cohenb43 New Member

I have turned on my laptop today, loaded up iTunes, and all of my music is gone..... I have restarted my laptop and still nothing. I then added some more music to iTunes, turned off the laptop then back on and even the albums I have just put on there are now gone........

What's happening?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3. cohenb43

cohenb43 New Member

i have since un-installed and re-installed iTunes, re-added all of my songs which took an hour or so.... turned off comp reloaded and everything was fine, turned it off last night came back on this morning and its all off again! ran the virus software and everything is ok. whats going on?

4. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

That happened to me the other day after I installed a new version of iTunes... Lost all my Music, Tv Shows and Movies.... I was livid since I stream that through my Apple TV.

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Don't you suspect that they are still there, but that iTunes is just not finding the correct file path?

Sent using iCafe app

6. cohenb43

cohenb43 New Member

I'm not sure I've tried everything possible that I can think of and still nothing. Any ideas at what has happened? And why it keeps happening?

7. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

They were all there.. But for some reason the system created a new Library file and nothing was linked to it. I found a old Library file backup from December and put in place. It got some of my stuff back. But I had to re-import a little at a time. I had been so careful when I originally put them in, that getting all the Metadata for programs is going to be a hassle.

From now on, I will make a copy of that file every time I import something new.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If I were you, I would search for a song you remember having. Are you on OS X? If so, use Spotlight (the magnifying glass icon at the upper right-hand corner of the screen) to search for the filename. It's better if you use a song with a rather unique word in the title that's not likely to be found all over other files on your hard drive. This should reveal the location of that song file, and will probably be on a folder with the name of the album containing the song:

hotel california folder.jpg

Navigate to that folder. Go back up a couple of levels of folders and I'm sure all your music files will be there. Launch iTunes and drag the highest-level folder in that chain into iTunes (be sure you're on Music). It should re-import all your song files into your iTunes library.

A similar procedure will work for Windows versions all the way to Windows 7. Go to Start > Search and enter the name of a song that you remember having. Then proceed as above.

If you're on Windows 8, I don't know the procedure, but I'm sure someone else will chime in and guide you...

9. cohenb43

cohenb43 New Member

Cheers for the advice. Will give it a go now and let you know how I get on..... (Using windows 7)

Sent using iCafe app

10. cohenb43

cohenb43 New Member

Exact same problem! Transferred a few songs over turned the laptop off and on again. And all songs gone again!?!? However the recycle bin has two files in there with some iTunes stuffing them? Re-stored but to no avail! Am I screwed for ever?

Sent using iCafe app

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Do a system search on your computer for your music files and find out where they are being stored. You can then either add them to your iTunes library or redirect iTunes to the new file.

Sent Using iCafe App

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Not on my watch! *uttering a battle cry*

Okay, let's get to the bottom of this. When you searched for music files, what directory did you find them in?

13. cohenb43

cohenb43 New Member

ok so......I have now used copy trans to transfer all of my iPod (which was practically my iTunes) back to iTunes. However I am now thinking... GREAT! as soon as I turn off my laptop I will loose everything.... now what should I do.....btw just want to add.... HUGE thank you to everyone for all there help! but I may be a lose cause!

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I wanted to ask, when you say that you "lose everything" as soon as you turn your laptop off, do you mean that the song titles disappear, or they're still there but become unplayable and you get an exclamation point by the name of any song when you try to play it?

Also, if you don't mind, let me ask a question--if you go to Preferences, then click on the Advanced tab, what do you see under the first item, called "iTunes Media folder location"?

It should read something like this: C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\

Is it in fact like that?

You're not using any external drives with your laptop?

15. cohenb43

cohenb43 New Member

no all my music is completely missing, I know what you meant by the exclamation marks but its not that... I folder reads.....C:\Users\ben\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media... I have since turned off the laptop and all my tunes are currently there, however I still think if I turn it off a couple more times they will all go again as they have previously once ive transferred from 'Copy Trans' which is a lifesaver!

Good job my iPod has every bit of music I have ever downloaded on it. Also all my music is on my HD, not an external

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

So so weird... Keep us posted...

17. cohenb43

cohenb43 New Member

Turn laptop on today and same thing has happened all songs gone! But look at what's in the recycle bin (not done by me) ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1365018796.002849.jpg something ain't right!

Sent using iCafe app

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Are you using a Sony VAIO computer by any chance?

If so, please read this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2715

And if not, please see this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2292

Apple support says that "In Windows Vista and Windows 7, some background processes may prevent applications such as iTunes and QuickTime Player from working correctly, opening, or even installing. Learn how you might resolve these conflicts by disabling some items using the System Configuration Utility (Msconfig) in Windows."

IF this is what's going on with your setup, then the second article should help you fix the issue.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Another possible cause is your antivirus program. Be sure it's set to exlcude iTunes.

20. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I wonder if that may have contributed to my issue. I got a free 30 days with a virus company and installed their software to try. It was right around the time all my Movies, Music and TV shows vanished...