Please Help, DEAD Screen touch?

mscorpio

Jan 12, 2008
i have a real problem, my iPhone touch screen is half dead, half alive, i mean half of the sreen works with the touch and half no. (but the screen looks perfect only toch pad doesn't works).
i have received this iPhone as a gift from my uncle from US so i don't have the orginal invoice, and i stay now in dubai (middle east) so my phone is jailbreak and unlocked (i can restore it back), i am getting crazy don't know how to fix this, i can return the phone to its previous system beore jailbreak or unlocke but still the touch doesn't work, but how can i return it to Apple store and have a new one, would they ask about the orginal invoice, if not there what to do? please advice

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I'm afraid that once you unlocked it you voided the warranty. Apple is not going to be able to help you. You might try googling for an independent repair service. Good luck.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Another paraplegic iPhone...seems to me like a warratable defect. if you can restore it, you should be able to return it for an exchange.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
A restore is not going to eliminate the effects left on the phone from the unlock. He MAY get lucky but I wouldn't count on it.

At minimum he is going to have to have his US uncle handle the repair as the phone is not supposed to be working in Dubai.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Since when does a restore not destroy all and any traces of unlocking?

Ive restored my friends iPhone because his screen was doing the same thing and then I went with him and we got it replaced no problem (we were on tmobile, fyi)

So it obviously restores the baseband as well.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I thought an unlocked iPhone couldn't be Restored? I thought that you had to use the Revirginizer to restore the unlocked ones.

- John

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
That's what I have read as well. I think they just got lucky at the store and the phone wasn't checked out very well. I suspect that if it were sent in for repair the unlock would be recognized.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
That's what I have read as well. I think they just got lucky at the store and the phone wasn't checked out very well. I suspect that if it were sent in for repair the unlock would be recognized.
well actually we went through a rather irritating process.

His phone crashed and died on 1.1.2

We downgraded to 1.1.1 (bb still was 04_02.13)
jailbroke.
downgraded the bb to 03_14 or something.
restored again to 1.1.1
and then the bb was fine as otb 1.1.1
then hacktivated with independence

Then we went to Apple store.

Not that hard really, took only like 25 minutes really..

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Do you and MacManPro live across from each other?:)

well actually we went through a rather irritating process.

His phone crashed and died on 1.1.2

We downgraded to 1.1.1 (bb still was 04_02.13)
jailbroke.
downgraded the bb to 03_14 or something.
restored again to 1.1.1
and then the bb was fine as otb 1.1.1
then hacktivated with independence

Then we went to Apple store.

Not that hard really, took only like 25 minutes really..

mscorpio

Jan 12, 2008
themanofthedar: so what your saying is that your friend mobile was unlocked and jailbreake and you restored it back, and there was no problem with the Apple store to replace it with a new one. what i want to know is there any need for the original invoice and box and all this thing.

please notice that sending it to US will cost me money, i need to make sure that they will replace it with a new one without asking about an invoice or any other documents cause i don't have the invoice at the moment. incase yes then i will ship it as soon as possible to my uncle to replace it and send me the new one back again to dubai?

what do you advice, tell me what to do exactly, i will be so thankful?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
See what one needs to do in the case is flirt with one of the Apple employees. Take her out to dinner for a couple of weeks. Then hopefully by now your in good with her. Bring up your problem with your phone. If the relationship is going well she most def will give you a new one. Once you receive your new iPhone drop her as$$$$

mscorpio

Jan 12, 2008
by the way mine is OTB 1.1.2, i jailbreake to 1.1.1 then upgraded to 1.1.2 anyway for the unlock i used X-SIM.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
by the way mine is OTB 1.1.2, i jailbreake to 1.1.1 then upgraded to 1.1.2 anyway for the unlock i used X-SIM.
Well to be honest I'm not really sure what to do with a x-SIM because my friend did a software unlock because he had originaly 1.1.1 when he bought it, so that's why I think you were going to need to downgrade fw, downgrade bb, restore, but that's only when you use with anySIM.

So ask around before doing anything.

And no, I think you don't need the invoice because the iPhone has a serial number and it shows when it was produced.

Let me ask a few people and I'll try and get back to you.

@KNK : and no, unless macmanpro takes the 59 or the 554 to school, I don't live across the street from him.

mscorpio

Jan 12, 2008
hey mate don't bother yourself about the X-SIM (its just a small chip that you attach with the SIM card to make calls - Unlocking method in dubai) i will take it out and also restore the iPhone to its previous settings.

only thing i want you to help me with is; if i ship the phone with it box back to US, without the invoice to Apple store, would they exchange it for me? or they will make for me a big issue?

sending the iPhone to US will cost money and time, i don't wana send it for nothing, am afraid the guy there will talk crap blah blah blah, and at the end he will not exchange it..?
what ever you advice i will do?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
hey mate don't bother yourself about the X-SIM (its just a small chip that you attach with the SIM card to make calls - Unlocking method in dubai) i will take it out and also restore the iPhone to its previous settings.

only thing i want you to help me with is; if i ship the phone with it box back to US, without the invoice to Apple store, would they exchange it for me? or they will make for me a big issue?

sending the iPhone to US will cost money and time, i don't wana send it for nothing, am afraid the guy there will talk crap blah blah blah, and at the end he will not exchange it..?
what ever you advice i will do?
As per my previous experiences with an iPod 20gb 4gen.. (oh god.. Bad memories) and with my friends iPhone, I'm pretty positive that you don't need an invoice because what they do at production, is they enter the serial nber, (not the IMEI,) and they register it with their system before selling it. So they will always know when such and such iPod/iPhone was manufactured/sold.
that was the policy last time I checked.
also, I don't think you need the box.

mscorpio

Jan 12, 2008
thanks a lot mate for your lovely advices, i will do as you said, i will just ship it to US, and hopefully i will receive it after 1 week. i will keep you updated. thanks a millions

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Ill tell you, slowly I'm having similar problems as this dude.
I use my iPhone relentlessly...have had since June 29.....and now about once a day my touchscreen stops working completely
....nothing will click/...only powering off and on will bring it back. Or at times certain letters just stop appearing when pushed. Happening more and more frequently.

mscorpio

Jan 12, 2008
No they are selling this phone here in dubai for 2000 AED which is 550 US$, if I will send the phone to US it would cost me 120 Dollars, beside returning it back will cost 120 dollars, that’s 250 dollars. And you never know there is a risk that they wont replace it for any reasons.
I think I will go for a new one better, but also no grantee comes with it. Am really stuck some where here..

mscorpio

Jan 12, 2008
a local repair guy, no wway.. no one can take a risk repairing this phone.. its diffecult anyway i have seen some videos ahows such thing... but its really diffecult to do also have of the screen is damaged already i wont take a risk damaging the whole piece.