please help fresh meat don't wanna get burned!

Sep 1, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
im new to homebrew of any kind. i recently hacked my psp i got at midnight launch, said what the hell ill do my old phone too since 5 is comin soon anyway. took some effort, cause i don't know what im doing per se. im good with electronics but not "hacking/modding/coding". my issue is the guy who helped me suggested i get 4.3.3. no prob there. well i get to jailbreakme and a newer version was out, so i downloaded it thinking no biggie. Turns out that 4.6 or w/e it is, is alpha stage and there isn't nearly ANYTHING compatible yet. SO today i went to

Downgrade 4.3.5 to 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.2, 4.3, on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch [How To Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

followed it step by step. i ended up having to do the "TinyUmbrella " but "Exit Recovery". would NOT work. well once i launched Umbrella, things kinda bugged out error's all over etc. i reset, things are ok it recognizes my phone and allows me to "exit recovery". I get back into iTunes and i do the "shift+recover", im currently running "4.3.3 (8J2)" whatever OS that is. OK now to the nitty gritty. what i want to do, and apparently it didn't work cause i still have all the old cydia files/packages, is start from scratch at 4.3.3 THEN re-jailbreak. is this possible? when i shift+restore, in iTunes and YES i have the proper 4.3.3 download, i get an error code and the instructions clearly say to shift+restore. i get the error yet it DID put me back on 4.3.3 still? now i could just go to 4.3.5, that would clean all the old cydia files off right BUT i don't wanna do a tethered boot. If anyone can help me wipe my current Cydia and ALL of it's associations, go back to Apple iOS 4.3.3 so i can start over again id REALLY appreciate it. thanks in advance

Update: the iTunes code i get when i try to do the restore even IN dfu mode is "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600). the "more info" button links me to

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Did you save your ECID SHSH files for 4.3.3 for your device? You will more than likely need to edit your hosts file (if you have previously saved SHSH) and then shift-restore. When you restore you'll hit a 16xx error, use TinyUmbrella's Exit Recovery feature.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Silly question but have you downloaded and shift-restored to the correct firmware?

Sep 1, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
ya i even went and re downloaded it. 420mb package... i just tried again and made some progress actually. i got it to go error free after the shift-click but after about 3min or so the phone itself was stuck on the Apple logo with the "insert usb here" kinda thing so i figured it snagged. well i hit exit recovery in tinyumbrella and it started to do it's thing. low and behold i got a different 16XX error this time and cydia and all it's packages are still there so it didn't clear it. 2 other things, i used firefox as suggested for the download cause IE etc converts it to a .zip so changed the file name and that when it actually was working. im gonna do the exact same thing i just did in DFU mode and see if it works but i had a thought too... would downgrading to 4.1 then upgrading to 4.3.3 work?

Sep 1, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
i just downloaded the iPhone 4 version and see if that will work... the file names are funny. the first file i dl was called "iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw. the "iPhone 4" version is exactly the same only instead of a 2 it has a 3 after iPhone. i definitely the "3gs" version twice and thats the iPhone 2 but maybe version 3 will work

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
An iPhone 4 ipsw will not work on a 3GS and a 3GS ipsw will not work on an iPhone 4. The restore won't even start if you try to use a firmware for the wrong phone.

iPhone 3,1_x_x_Restore.ipsw is the for iPhone 4
iPhone 2,1_x_x_Restore.ipsw is the for 3GS

Try 4.1. You cannot use 4.3.3 if you don't have an SHSH for it.

Sep 1, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
the 4.1 install went smooth as butter! wow guys thx, i was noticing my SHSH number in that umbrella program was always the same, why wouldn't the 4.3.3 take? Also am i considered way "out-date" now cause im at 4.1? is there gonna be much available? i was kinda hoping that there would be a TON more, but times change fast in the computer world and no one wants to maintain old tech. anyway, cya round the forums and thanks for any other input.