PLEASE HELP! How to get the iPhone on Pay as you Go.

nirav464

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Okay can anyone tell me if the iPhone is capable of using AT&T "Pay as you Go" prepaid option. If so can you tell me in detail how to do it. Can i just bypass activation and put in the prepaid SIM into the iPhone?

I have:
-unopened, unactivated OTB 1.1.2 iPhone
-a cheap pre-paid AT&T Pay as you go Phone.

PLEASE HELP. If this can't be done I'll just probably wait for the iPhone 2.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You'll have to activate it through iTunes before you can do anything. Putting another AT&T SIM in won't do it.

nirav464

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
You'll have to activate it through iTunes before you can do anything. Putting another AT&T SIM in won't do it.
what if i bypass the activation screen, jailbrake and then put in the prepaid SIM?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I don't think the other SIm is going to work. The way that I've always seen it done for this (and it worked for me) is to enter a bad social security number in the activation process - like [SIZE=-1]999-99-9999 - then it will fail you on the credit check etc. and prompt you to setup the pay as you go plan ...
[/SIZE]

Jan 9, 2008
Yup it WILL WORK!

First you have to talk to AT&T and run your credit for the 2 year plan...if you fail that (meaning they will want a HUGE deposit), then you are good to go. I think you explain to AT&T that you want to use the iPhone as a "pay-as-you-go" phone they will let you do it, at a higher monthly rate of course! At least this is what 2 different AT&T reps told me. Good luck!

nirav464

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Yup it WILL WORK!

First you have to talk to AT&T and run your credit for the 2 year plan...if you fail that (meaning they will want a HUGE deposit), then you are good to go. I think you explain to AT&T that you want to use the iPhone as a "pay-as-you-go" phone they will let you do it, at a higher monthly rate of course! At least this is what 2 different AT&T reps told me. Good luck!
see what someone told me was that if I bypass activation, jailbrake and then put in the prepaid SIM into the iPhone and call AT&T and give them the IMPC so something (don't know what its called) and activate you'll have a prepaid option. Can some some confim this?

Jan 9, 2008
Dunno bout that. I heard putting 999-99-9999 for your soical during activation doesn't work anymore, so if you pass the credit check then you are S.O.L. (if you want to do it the legit way, that is).

You can always buy the iPhone, activate it, then call AT&T to cancel. Now go buy a cheap GoPhone, activate it and then take the sim out and put it n your iPhone. Your iPhone will now work as a GoPhone.

I am using my original iPhone this way with my GoPhone sim and everything works perfectly. I bought a second iPhone and activated it using my original iPhone number.

nirav464

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
You can always buy the iPhone, activate it, then call AT&T to cancel. Now go buy a cheap GoPhone, activate it and then take the sim out and put it n your iPhone. Your iPhone will now work as a GoPhone.

I am using my original iPhone this way with my GoPhone sim and everything works perfectly. I bought a second iPhone and activated it using my original iPhone number.
hey dude does all the widgets work on wifi. Im going to end up disabling EDGE so i don't get all the crazy bills.

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
there are no crazy bills.

my bill is exactly 82$ every month... +/- a few quarters.

ppl who have crazy bills were the ones that got every single data thing put on a piece of paper.

Jan 9, 2008
I've heard some stuff about EDGE costing folks a lot of money...what is the story with that?

Robert

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I've heard some stuff about EDGE costing folks a lot of money...what is the story with that?

Robert
Even on Pay As You Go plan, Edge data should be Unlimited (at least to the extent that unlimited is ever true). The place you see a lot of horror stories about Edge data usage is if you travel outside the US, and get hit with roaming charges on Edge data I think ...

hey dude does all the widgets work on wifi. Im going to end up disabling EDGE so i don't get all the crazy bills.
Everything will still work on WiFi.

There are two ways you can get on pay as you go:

1. You can sign up with a monthly pay as you go plan with so many minutes per month and this can include SMS and edge. You can add on so many SMS messages a month as well as unlimited data for another $19.99. There is one plan that will charge you $1 a day each day you use your phone so be careful when picking plans.

2. Just refill your account as often as you need to. This is what I did since I already had an iPhone. I bought a GoPhone as well and activated it. I then put the sim in my iPhone and bought a second iPhone that now has my original iPhone number. This plan you can get 200 SMS for $4.95 and a few small data plans also. I don't think there is an unlimted data plan this way. Everything works on the iPhone, weather, stocks, voicemail, SMS and edge.

Good luck whatever you decide! :)

Okay can anyone tell me if the iPhone is capable of using AT&T "Pay as you Go" prepaid option. If so can you tell me in detail how to do it. Can i just bypass activation and put in the prepaid SIM into the iPhone?

I have:
-unopened, unactivated OTB 1.1.2 iPhone
-a cheap pre-paid AT&T Pay as you go Phone.

PLEASE HELP. If this can't be done I'll just probably wait for the iPhone 2.
I just realized that the only reason my GoPhone sim worked in my iPhone was because the iPhone was jailbroken. It wasn't unlocked, just jailbroken and unactivated. Once I jailbroke it the GoPhone sim worked. Again I didn't have to unlock the phone because it's an AT&T GoPhone sim.

I discovered this by restoring the iPhone as a test. When the phone restored, my GoPhone sim no longer worked and I was prompted to try to activate the phone. I then downgraded to 1.1.1 and did all the steps listed in a thread in the modifications forum and updated to 1.1.2 and once again my GoPhone sim worked in the iPhone.

Hope this helps some people here.

wws

Jan 30, 2008
AT&T (Cingular) GoPhone sim

I just realized that the only reason my GoPhone sim worked in my iPhone was because the iPhone was jailbroken. It wasn't unlocked, just jailbroken and unactivated. Once I jailbroke it the GoPhone sim worked. Again I didn't have to unlock the phone because it's an AT&T GoPhone sim.

I discovered this by restoring the iPhone as a test. When the phone restored, my GoPhone sim no longer worked and I was prompted to try to activate the phone. I then downgraded to 1.1.1 and did all the steps listed in a thread in the modifications forum and updated to 1.1.2 and once again my GoPhone sim worked in the iPhone.

Hope this helps some people here.

The phone has to be activated at some point otherwise it won't show the HOME screen.
Did you restore it to 1.1.2 or 1.1.3? It seems that when the phone restored/Updated to 1.1.3 the GoPhone sim won't work any more.