Please help, I'm asking honestly

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I need to authorize my iTunes for this comp. It says ive already got 5 authorized. I didn't know bout this when i got rid of my own comps so i never deauthorized them. Id really appreciate the help so I can set up my play list and stuff on new computer. Id appreciate any help i can get with this.

Jul 24, 2007
I need to authorize my iTunes for this comp. It says ive already got 5 authorized. I didn't know bout this when i got rid of my own comps so i never deauthorized them. Id really appreciate the help so I can set up my play list and stuff on new computer. Id appreciate any help i can get with this.
I believe you can deauthorize all of your computers at once. Then re-authorize the computers you still own. It's in the menu list in the iTunes application.

Also check iTunes support forums on Apple's website.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I don't know; I only have 3 computers authorized. I suppose it would be possible to de-authorize them, but only from the original computer. Contact Apple if you can't figure anything out.

- John

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I don't know; I only have 3 computers authorized. I suppose it would be possible to de-authorize them, but only from the original computer. Contact Apple if you can't figure anything out.

- John
Yeah I had 2 computers that I reformated the drives and forgot to de-activate them. Now it shows up in my one computer that I have 3 authorized, so I to need that how to info.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Weird, the 'Deauthorize All' button doesn't show up for me. It tell me that I have 3 machines authorized, but no button.

- John

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

That will show you how to deauthorize all accounts. I'm actually glad I found that because I've been wanting to do that for a while now.

Here it is:

1. Click iTunes Store in the Source pane.
  2. If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
  3. Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.
  4. In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I need to authorize my iTunes for this comp. It says ive already got 5 authorized. I didn't know bout this when i got rid of my own comps so i never de-authorized them. Id really appreciate the help so I can set up my play list and stuff on new computer. Id appreciate any help i can get with this.
This is one case that I can say Apple was helpful for me. I had a problem where I had 5 computers authorized, and deauthorizes them once, and then had to do it again, because I draft, and game, and am a nerd, so am always updating computers, laptops, work machines, etc...you are only allowed to de-authorize your computers once a year and I needed to do it twice this year, because I switched jobs and thats 3 new machines right there for me. But I sent an email to Apple help, and they did it for me within 24 hours.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
iTunes says I've authorized three out of five computers as well. Deauthorizing via iTunes did not reduce the number. I have noticed that the total number of authorized computers is tied to a particular Apple ID. Once we've reached the maximum of five, will there be no choice but to change our Apple ID? Or, can the number be reset?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
iTunes says I've authorized three out of five computers as well. Deauthorizing via iTunes did not reduce the number. I have noticed that the total number of authorized computers is tied to a particular Apple ID. Once we've reached the maximum of five, will there be no choice but to change our Apple ID? Or, can the number be reset?

The RESET is the whole question of this thread that we want to know. Do you by chance have Steve Jobs telephone number? I have his wifes phone number, but she says she does not know and she won't give me Steves number.:mad:

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

That will show you how to deauthorize all accounts. I'm actually glad I found that because I've been wanting to do that for a while now.
There is an interesting note in the Apple link: "Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers or if you have used this option within the last 12 months."

From another interesting link, http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index.php/t-164154.html:

"The authorization process downloads a decryption key from the iTunes Music Store. This key is specific to your installation of iTunes, and has no bearing on your computer hardware or configuration.

Therefore, reinstalling your OS will cause your authorization information to be lost. Normally, you should go into iTunes and DEauthorize your installation before reinstalling your OS. To do this, you would go into iTunes and select Advanced->Deauthorize Computer. This will reduce your authorization count.

...If you cannot access iTunes to deauthorize your computer (ie, hard drive crash, etc), you can also reset all of your authorizations once a year by visiting the iTunes Music Store preferences page and selecting the appropriate option. This will reset your authorization count to zero, although you may have to re-authorize any computers that were previously authorized."

This is the same procedure that was listed earlier here by KNK. The long and short of it appears to be that if you can't perform the annual re-authorization, you may need to get a new Apple ID.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
..... The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers or if you have used this option within the last 12 months."
Phew I am not insane. I really don't have that button. KNK made me think I was going nuts over here trying to find a button that isn't there.