Please Help! .Ipsw problem 2.2.1 with Vista.

cameronb

Jun 12, 2009
Okay, I know im a complete noob, but I seriously need help with this program.

I am following the guide at this link http://www.theiPhoneblog.com/2008/09/29/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-21-windows-edition/.

Now, I downloaded QuickPwn via the DevTeam's torrent thats all good.

But my problem is that whenever I download the 2.2.1 firmware, Not only does QuickPwn not recognize it exists, but iTunes as well!
-Also, I redownloaded the firmware 5 times. Still the same.

To say more, the firmware is downloaded as a .zip file and whenever I try to unzip it it just gives me some folders, none of them containing the .ipsw.

I also cant see the little grey cube icon that the .ipsw firmware shows up as, as seen in the tutorial I am following.

I am using a Dell Studio With windows Vista home premium and Silverlight, and just got it about a month ago.

Please Help Me!
I am pretty flexible when it comes to electronics but all of google cant save me from such a little crisis!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hi & Welcome and all that jazz.

I tried out the download link for the .ipsw in that article, and it is valid (from Apple's site) and works fine for me - leaves me with a 246.4mb .ipsw file.

So ... if you've already tried the download several times over, I would be suspicious of a Vista setting maybe getting in the way - maybe try DLing it with your antivirus / anti-malware apps temporarily turned off. Or watch carefuly for any popups when you start DLing ...

cameronb

Jun 12, 2009
Hi & Welcome and all that jazz.

I tried out the download link for the .ipsw in that article, and it is valid (from Apple's site) and works fine for me - leaves me with a 246.4mb .ipsw file.

So ... if you've already tried the download several times over, I would be suspicious of a Vista setting maybe getting in the way - maybe try DLing it with your antivirus / anti-malware apps temporarily turned off. Or watch carefuly for any popups when you start DLing ...
Haha thanks for the welcome man. :)

I turned off all antivirus. And am now downloading.

So you saved your .zip file, correct?

After, did you extract the .zip file or...?

Thanks for the help. :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Haha thanks for the welcome man. :)

I turned off all antivirus. And am now downloading.

So you saved your .zip file, correct?

After, did you extract the .zip file or...?

Thanks for the help. :)
When I hit the link for the firmware, I never got offered a .zip file - just the .ipsw straight away ...

cameronb

Jun 12, 2009
When I hit the link for the firmware, I never got offered a .zip file - just the .ipsw straight away ...
Hmmm, thats weird, right whenever I click on the link it shows iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5h11_Restore.Zip

Could it be something in internet explorer?

And the file type is Compressed (zipped) Folder, 246MB

EDIT: I did some more research, for some reason Windows wants to change the file to a .zip, most likely automatically, I just don't know how to change this now.

DOUBLE EDIT:: i GOT IT! :DDDDDDDD

Sorry for the excitement, I is teh uber w00tness reight neewww.

How?

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f160/49831.htm

The last post, its a little different from vista, but I finally figured out how to change the root.

Thanks so much for the help again!

Ill try to help out with the problem I had as much as I can!
See you around the forum. :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hmmm, thats weird, are you running Vista?
No. Tried the download link on my Mac. But now that you've asked, just also tried it on Windows 7 in a virtual machine. Believe Internet Explorer may be the problem (shocking) - when I tried in IE it showed me a .zip download, whereas Firefox showed the .ipsw.

Moral of the story = try a proper browser I think. Do it with Firefox ...