Please Help: Jailbroken iPhone 5 Issue: will not update/restore and also has 1/4 screen bug

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Usaf262, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

Ok, here's the issue I have going on right now... The phone is currently operable thankful, however there are some limitations. Presently the phone is running iOS 6.1 with the evasi0n jailbreak method installed. However, it is currently bugged with what I have found to be called the "1/4 screen bug." For those of you not familiar with this bug, it randomly chooses apps to infect and when those apps are opened, it only opens them in the top left hand portion of the screen. Furthermore, the only action that can be taken in these apps is scrolling and just barely. No other touch screen functions work of the apps plagued by this bug.

Now, I have read that this problem can be caused by a jailbreak app installed that isn't fully compatible with my version of iOS 6. That said, I am not able to access Cydia because Cydia is currently infected with 1/4 screen bug....

Now my plan was to try to restore and/or update to my phone to attempt to break the jailbreak and then I planned to reinstall the latest jailbreak. However, the phone errors every time I attempt to restore or update. So, any ideas on how to fix this?

Also, as far as restarting my phone goes (in case any of your methods involve restarting), my sleep button does not work either.... No clue why, just never has since like a month or so after I got the phone. Also, the Assistive Touch feature of the phone of the phone is bugged too. Whenever I turn it on, it appears as small untouchable box in the top center of the phone. It fades into the background and cannot be used... This feature used to be the way I would turn my phone off due to the sleep button not working... This particular bug involving it started like a few weeks ago.

ALso, I do not have SBSettings installed either, which is another handy method for restarting iPhone. And of course, I can't install it due to Cydia not functioning correctly.

Also, it might be important to note that other Cydia issues were taking place in the last few weeks too. New tweaks that have been reported to be released in the last few weeks on Cydia are not there for me. Also, certain tweaks will simply not install either.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. In regards to the broken lock button, is there any reason you didn't get the phone replaced before jailbreaking it? Apple will replace it free of charge if you take it into an Apple store. They will ship you a new one and you can send the old one back to them in the the same box if you don't live near an Apple store. The shipping method is free with Apple Care+. There is a $29 2-day shipping fee without AppleCare+. A broken lock button is not good on any device, but particularly on a jailbroken device since you need it for DFU mode.
    2. Try pressing the volume up button while booting to get it in safe mode. Then you can troubleshoot the screen bug from there by uninstalling jailbreak apps and tweaks until you find the culprit.
    3. What iTunes error codes are you getting?

3. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

Honestly, there's no good reason I never had the phone replaced before jailbreaking... I live at best 45 minutes from the closest Apple store and it seemed like a hassle to replace the phone when I could still use it without needing the lock button. As far as restarting the phone and attempting the volume up button, I am going to try that in a minute. The only current way I have to shut my phone off is to run the battery dead.... and it's at 4% now.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Be sure to get it replaced before rejailbreaking it. You want to avoid taking it into them in a jailbroken state, so hopefully you can get it restored first. If the volume up/safe mode trick doesn't work, let me know what error codes you get when you try to restore.

5. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

The error codes I have gotten vary, but generally they are 21 or 3194, which refer to security software supposedly interfering in the process. The phone will die any moment now and I"ll attempt safe mode via the volume up button.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3194 means your hosts file is wrong. It's pointing to Cydia instead of Apple. Install TinyUmbrella and uncheck the box that says "set hosts to Cydia on exit" and then close TinyUmbrella and do a regular restore to 6.1.2 in iTunes.

7. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

Good to know, I appreciate it. Any idea on what particular apps on Cydia may be causing my issues? I'm not sure which ones to uninstall. I also just noticed that none of the apps that are jailbreak apps are showing up in settings anymore.

8. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

So I started the phone by holding the volume up button and here's what happened: It started, but not in safe mode. However, none of the jailbreak tweaks are working and its as if the phone is not jailbroken. When I open Cydia and navigate to packages, it displays a blank screen. Where should I go from there?

9. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

Also, when I open Cydia, it immediately goes to the black "Database" screen and says in red "Malformed line 10 source list/etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list (dist)

10. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

The box for set hosts to cydia on exit is not checked and the phone still errors with 3194......

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Are you still able to install and refresh? If not, than the below link will help. It sounds like it is a source issue.

http://ihackmyi.com/topic/88048-cydia-error-refreshing-data/

This helped the original poster.

The helpers gave these directions.

"SSH or use iFile to go into etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list and tell me what it says."
    "rightclick and open with notepad."
    "Remove the line "deb (null) (null)" and the error will go away."

12. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

Due to me not having 10 posts on here yet it won't me post the links but I do not see any lines will null in it

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Reading online, it sounds like it is a source issue. I would remove any sources that you added but do not use.

Are you still having the 3194 error issue? Is this when you're trying to restore or update?

14. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

Yeah I still have the 3194 issue and Cydia will not display any sources or packages to me right now for whatever reason.... refer to my above post from after I started the iPhone with the volume up button trick

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

For the 3194 error issue, this is usually related to connection issues.

Error 1004, 1013, 1638, 3014, 3194: These errors may be the result of the connection to gs.apple.com being redirected or blocked. Follow these steps to resolve these errors:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error3194
    1. Install the latest version of iTunes.
    2. Check security software. Ensure that communication to gs.apple.com is allowed. Follow this article for assistance with security software. iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues.
    3. Check the hosts file. The restore will fail if there is an active entry to redirect gs.apple.com. FollowiTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting to edit the hosts file or revert to a default hosts file. See section "Blocked by configuration: (Mac OS X/Windows) > Rebuild network information".
    4. Try to restore from another known-good computer and network.
    5. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.
    As for your Cydia issue, have you tried to re-jailbreak? I have had this happen, and it is usually fixed by re-jailbreaking. If you do this, make sure you do not mess with the device unless it gives you directions to do so.

16. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

Well, as far rejailbreaking goes... I tried installing the latest version of evasi0n and the download page and any mirror pages I have found for it are currently offline. And all steps from the Apple support forum have been completed with no luck unfortunately.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Which computer are you on? A Mac or Windows/Linux? It should work as I just tested it myself. You will need to restore using iTunes before you rejailbreak. Have you tried putting your device into DFU mode?

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/24/iphone-dfu-mode-explained-and-how-to-enter-dfu-mode-on-your-iphone/

How to enter iPhone DFU mode
    • Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes
    • Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone)
    • Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button
    • Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected
    http://evasi0n.com/

18. Usaf262

Usaf262 New Member

My sleep button on my iPhone does not work... Are there any other ways to enter DFU mode?

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

From what I am reading online for alternatives in your situation, it is a process to get it into DFU mode with a non-working sleep button.

Have you gone to Apple to get a replacement or to get it fixed?

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You are trying to restore to 6.1.2, right? You just need to fix your hosts file. It's what's causing the 3194 error. Try one of the other methods if TinyUmbrella isn't fixing it for you. You can manually fix it by removing Cydia's address.
    So, open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) /etc/hosts (Mac OS X)
    Remove the following entry from the file and then save it:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com