Please help me convince my parents to get me an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by okooko5, Jan 23, 2012.

1. okooko5

okooko5 New Member

My parents have been anti-Apple for years. Lately, I found interest in the iPhone. I've tried convincing them to let me get the iPhone in so many ways. I already have all a's in school so I can't bring my grades up btw.I have enoughmoney to pay for the phone and the plan. How can I convince them?

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Well, that depends on why they are anti-Apple. I mean, to raise a good argument, you have to know what you are stating your case against.
    But in general, here's a few of the "pluses" you can build a list on:
    1)More apps that any other platform, and they are compatible with other Apple mobile devices.
    2)Suburb customer service/warranty policy.
    3)many schools and businessses are moving to Apple mobile devices. Great to keep with the curve and not be left behind.
    4)Tracking apps. This is in case you lose your phone, or if your parents want to check up on you ( if you want to let them.)
    5) Educational apps. Learn More!
    6)ease of use- So easy, you can let Grandma use it and she'll get by with very little instruction.
    7) It's an iPhone.
    8) One manufacturer, so consistency with design, build, quality

That's all I can think of in 2 minutes, but I am sure others will chime in with more.

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

How old are you?

Why hasn't Mac answered this yet. He has mastered the whine for iProducts perfectly apparently.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Thread title edited for clarity.

5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Hello! I'm a 13 year old boy, I'm sure I can be of help. You can be as smart as Darwin, but how responsible are you? They may think your not responsible enough. I specialize with bring non Apple folks over to Apple. What do they have against Apple? Do you know? Answering this information would be good, as I'd go from there.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Hmm you done your job got grades and $
    Do you have a phone currently ?
    What phones do your parents have ?
    If they worry about it break, you could tell them about Lifeproof case.
    My husband actually convinved a co worker to get his kid an iPhone for christmas (surprised me) by telling him he lives in the dark ages and his son (our kid) had one since was 8.
    This is a tough one ... I have such different parent ideas then the main stream parent.
    Most parents say I did not have one growing up so my kid does not need it.
    Yeah perhaps not need it. Time did not stay still and kids grow up very different then way back.

7. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Or an otterbox for the maximum protection. ;)

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

for maximum protection, iMutter already mentioned the LifeProof case...

9. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Sorry, I meant to say maximum drop protection. I still am a firm believer otterbox has a better drop protection lifeproof, but lifeproof is better at so many other things. :)

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Why is that ? Not saying you should or should not! I believe a good parent has rules and it does not really matter what they are as long there are rules !

#10 imutter, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
  11. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Well I am quite certain that everyone here over the age of 30 made it to at least the age of 18 before having a cell phone.
    In my kids situation I don't feel that they new one. I think that they dumb us down. Focus on your studies. When you start going out more or driving then reevaluate. No reason to be sitting on your phone or computer or iPad or video game system all day. (hint hint) Go read a book. Play outside. Do a puzzle.
    Again just my opinion and I'm sure some think I am a hard arse but that is my prerogative.

12. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

That was back in the day. There was less crime back then. I'm sure your girls have either once gone to a friends, or walked to school. What if something was to happen at a friends? What if your daughter felt uncomfortable there? From health class, what if there were drugs or alcohol at a party and your daughter had no way of contacting you? Indeed, they scientifically dumb us down. But not that much. And studies, I got my iPhone in summer going into 7th grade. The lowest grade I've ever gotten on a report card from then till now is a solid B. made straight A's twice since then. Been on high honors the whole time, besides the 2 times ive been on starigh A's. Indeed, i do sit around on my ipad and iPhone all day, but that hasn't affected me kne bit. I can only think of 1 person in the whole 8th grade that doesn't have a cell phone. He's my best friend, and we are just about as smart. The whole class doesn't do bad on grades, the majority does fine.

13. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

• Inappropriate behaviour towards another member of the forum.
    Ok Mac. I am not going to say anything because I have been told I'm not allowed to make forum members cry anymore.

14. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Well every situtions is different and I look at it as a decision it be made at your own discretion. My son has gotten his first phone because my husband was always deployed . Son is also a gifted child which sometimes makes things difficult. We have found a balance on his activities. Which incudes besides his videogames and computer time (which includes at the moment music editing) also TKD ( 3 times a week) and Drum lessons. I just ordered new drums because he needs to move on and electric drum offer just a lot more . We are military and moved a lot. Son has his Kindergarten friend ( now in NC) he regulary calls and text and his best Friend from MI he talkes to daily ( Facetime). Specially since all boys in the neighbor hood moved away! He is in a very small private school (I know your kids are in a private school) but his classroom is multi grade (11 kids total)and he has not really made friends with any boys his age because he is so advanced. He meets with an older girl (she is not into boys yet) and they are friends. When we had kids in the neighbor hood he was always outside but at the moment it's just some girls (his age yes but they are boy crazy what he hates). So we walk the dogs in the neighborhood at least.
    Like I said every kid is different and what works for your family may not work for mine.
    Neither decision is wrong or right. Like you said our kids grow up anyways. Just like they are potty trained with or with out the facy musical potty throne LOL

15. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Mac that all Kids have one is not an valid argument for me! My kids is certainly not getting what all kids have because well he is just not like any kid.

16. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I wasn't implying that the OP, or rays kids need one because everyone else has one, I was just implying that if cell phones make you dumber, then my whole grade should be dumb.

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

They dumb us down because mostly the devices are used by parents as a cheap way to entertain and babysitt the child.
    They are monotone on how they stimulate our brains . There is also the fact that kids even at your age still build coordination and grow. Let's say a small child uses a touch screen how will it ever develop fine motor skills to tie shoes ? Or cross motorskills because an ipad is just not something you can take on a swing set. There are many things to consider.

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Or that sitting on your butt all day not doing anything makes kids fat.

19. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Do not bring obesity into this. We were actually on topic, until that.

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Yeah there are a few other contributor as you know. (Chemically altered food)
    If it comes down to it... a parent spends quality time with their children is all it takes !
    And they will not need to be entertained by outside sources.