----PLEASE HELP ME... iPhone Fell In The Jacuzzi---

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 8, 2007
so long story short my iPhone was on my girlfriend's towel and she went to pick it up and didn't notice my baby resting on her towel..
iPhone went under for 5 seconds before i picked it out (fully submerged at depth of approx 1 foot) i took it out and dried it vigerously.
At this point the phone was still working and the screen was blinking, it said the sim card was not in the phone.
This lasted for approximately 15 seconds before it finally went off. The phone has since been drying under a lamp and blowdried all day and will not turn on.
I have not plugged it into a charger because im afraid it will further damage it in case there is still moisture.. letting it sit.
The headphone jack does not show signs of water damage but my phone is unlocked so no warranty anyway.
ANY IDEAS ON WHAT TO DO? PLEASE HELP BRING MY BABY BACK TO LIFE!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
so long story short my iPhone was on my girlfriend's towel and she went to pick it up and didn't notice my baby resting on her towel..
iPhone went under for 5 seconds before i picked it out (fully submerged at depth of approx 1 foot) i took it out and dried it vigerously.
At this point the phone was still working and the screen was blinking, it said the sim card was not in the phone.
This lasted for approximately 15 seconds before it finally went off. The phone has since been drying under a lamp and blowdried all day and will not turn on.
I have not plugged it into a charger because im afraid it will further damage it in case there is still moisture.. letting it sit.
The headphone jack does not show signs of water damage but my phone is unlocked so no warranty anyway.
ANY IDEAS ON WHAT TO DO? PLEASE HELP BRING MY BABY BACK TO LIFE!
Get rid of your girlfriend. :cool:

Seriously though, I cant offer any advice. Sorry this happened to you. Best of luck reviving it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I wouldn't turn it on until it's been in a warm, dry environment for at least 24 hours. 48 or more if you wanna play it safe.

She must be hot if you two are still together after this.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
geeeezz its a phone, can t dump your girl because she dropped your phone inthe jacuzzi, hope you get that fixed.... why would yo need your phone next to the jacuzzi?next time just leave it as far as possible..

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I once dropped an iPod in the sea! Salt water is even worse than fresh.

I just sent back to Apple and they replaced it with a new one.

(I didn't mention the ipod/ocean interface)

Hmmm. I know that if you ever drop a cell phone into water the first thing to do is remove the battery immediately. The rest of the phone is fine, it can actually survive with water, but when the battery gets submerged it sends a jolt and fries everything.

I am looking at my iPhone and I guess you can't remove the battery, so hopefully it will still dry. The way the phone is put together is pretty tight, so maybe it kept most of the water out of it.

The best thing to do is just leave it be. I once read a thread about a guy who dropped his blackberry in a swimming pool for about 30 seconds before he realized where it was. Set it aside thinking it was bricked and a two weeks later he on a whim tried it out and it worked. There is always hope.

Oct 8, 2007
thanks for the encouragement guys.. my gf was pretty upset about it. More than me actually (now i can get whatever i want because she owes me big time)
I'll let it sit for a bit and see what happens.. whats the uncooked rice thing do? i've heard about that

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
The rice will absorb the moisture when sealed in a bag with the device. You know the little bags of beads when you buy a new device that says do not eat. Its to absorb moisture when being shipped to retail stores.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Hmmm. I know that if you ever drop a cell phone into water the first thing to do is remove the battery immediately. The rest of the phone is fine, it can actually survive with water, but when the battery gets submerged it sends a jolt and fries everything.

I am looking at my iPhone and I guess you can't remove the battery, so hopefully it will still dry. The way the phone is put together is pretty tight, so maybe it kept most of the water out of it.

The best thing to do is just leave it be. I once read a thread about a guy who dropped his blackberry in a swimming pool for about 30 seconds before he realized where it was. Set it aside thinking it was bricked and a two weeks later he on a whim tried it out and it worked. There is always hope.
Listen to her. DO NOT try and operate your phone for at least four or five days....

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Uncooked rice will absorb moisture, like tiny sponges. Restaurants with outdoor tables will sometimes put a few grains of rice in the salt shakers they keep on those tables because it helps keep the salt from sticking together due to being in the humidity. You may also try picking up some of those dessicant (sp?) packets from an electronics store and putting them and the phone in a ziplock bag for a couple of nights. They do a better job of pulling moisture out of the air.

Becca

Nov 14, 2007
well you def can't be mad at your gf, im sure she didn't do it on purpose
and i'm also sure shes very sorry
very very sorry

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Not much you can, these kind of stories all end up the same.

Try to return it, and if Apple refuses it, man up and buy a new one.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yeah, Man! Don't dump the gf! Who ever said that is nuts! Finding a new gf costs WAY more than any old iPhone. Dinner, drinks, movies, flowers... that stuff adds up!
:p