Please help me sync my contacts! I don't want to risk losing my contacts!

Dann

Feb 16, 2009
PA
Hey guys, I've been searching around trying to get a specific answer but I haven't turned anything up. I want to back up the contacts in my phone on to the computer, so that if anything happens and I need to restore it, I can restore my contacts as well. However, my question is this, if I select to sync with yahoo (because thats the email I use) and I go ahead with it, will it just put my yahoo contacts into my phone, just put my phone contacts in to my yahoo, or both? And furthermore, will any of those circumstances delete my phone contacts? I'm sorry for such a noob question but I'm considering jailbreaking my phone and I want to take the most precaution possible so that if I need to restore it I can. It's just really important that I don't lose the contacts in my phone. I appreciate the help guys!

Dann

Feb 16, 2009
PA
I'm pretty sure I didn't sync them. Would it have done it automatically? Or would it have asked me to set it up? The problem is that the first time I synced to iTunes, it was on a different computer. I decided to solely use this computer now for my phone so it is kinda messed up I guess now?

Dann

Feb 16, 2009
PA
Oh so when it backs up my phone, if I go to restore, all of my contacts and what not will automatically be saved there?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That will work if you can restore from back up, but not if you want to restore to factory settings. This is why I recommend backing them up in a Google/Gmail account. After setting up a Gmail account, Open iTunes, go to yourname's iPhone -> Info -> Contacts. Click the "sync contacts with" box, and choose google/gmail. Put in your gmail account password.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I sync with yahoo. The sync goes both ways...contained on iPhone and in yahoo account.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
To completely answer your question...yes..your iPhone contacts will go in yahoo address book too

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why wouldn't it? I've restored a few times in the past and I could restore from a backup...
Here's a few possible reasons.
1. If you're having a problem and restoring from back up doesn't fix it, restoring as a new device is recommended.
2. If you try to restore from backup and it says the back up file is corrupt.
3. If you jailbreak, you have to restore as a new device each time you want to get the Apple FW updates.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Here's a few possible reasons.
1. If you're having a problem and restoring from back up doesn't fix it, restoring as a new device is recommended.
2. If you try to restore from backup and it says the back up file is corrupt.
3. If you jailbreak, you have to restore as a new device each time you want to get the Apple FW updates.
1. That's why he should test it out real quick. Back up your phone, then try to restore the backup.
2. Huh?
3. Nope, not true at all. I had 2.2 on my iPhone originally. When 2.2.1 came out, I just shift-clicked on "Check for Update"/"Update", browsed for the 2.2.1 iPSW, and it was easily upgraded. Then I used QuickPWN to JB it. No restore was necessary.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What I'm saying is that if you ever find yourself in a position where it tells you the backup file is corrupt and you're forced to restore to factory settings, you'll be glad that you have your contacts backed up somewhere other than the back up file itself. It's just a precaution. It is true that you don't have to restore before doing the FW updates, it's just recommended to start fresh and do it that way so you don't leave traces of the JB stuff behind that can cause potential problems. It's just another precaution.