please help me understand....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca

cingular.com has ring tones from sale...
my brother bought ring tones from cingular for his razor
my girlfriend bought ring tones for her razor too [she is on verizon]

why cant we just buy ring tones for our phones? what are the restrictions against the iPhone not having ring tones?

i just don't understand why it is so hard to buy right tones... why cant we just buy them off the cingular web site?

thanks......

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN

why cant we just buy ring tones for our phones? what are the restrictions against the iPhone not having ring tones?

i just don't understand why it is so hard to buy right tones... why cant we just buy them off the cingular web site?

thanks......
Because Apple doesn't want to concede to AT&T's greed? Yes, you can download ringtones for $3 and then get charged $2 for data charges.

Just wait and you will see Apple release a software update that will allow you to change any song you own into a ring tone.

Now stop complaining!

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
Because Apple doesn't want to concede to AT&T's greed? Yes, you can download ringtones for $3 and then get charged $2 for data charges.

Just wait and you will see Apple release a software update that will allow you to change any song you own into a ring tone.

Now stop complaining!

i am not complaining, all i want to know is what is the big deal with this thing.. i mean it is a phone.. right and we have unlimited data so the data transfer rate does not apply to us so what is the big deal with being able to buy ring tones from the cingular site
?

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
i am not complaining, all i want to know is what is the big deal with this thing.. i mean it is a phone.. right and we have unlimited data so the data transfer rate does not apply to us so what is the big deal with being able to buy ring tones from the cingular site
?
Why would you want to buy ringtones when you can make them for free? Audacity...or even Window's recorder will allow you to make a ringtone out of any audio file you have. Of course, you need to be able to hack the iPhone to get that ringtone on to your iPhone.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
Why would you want to buy ringtones when you can make them for free? Audacity...or even Window's recorder will allow you to make a ringtone out of any audio file you have. Of course, you need to be able to hack the iPhone to get that ringtone on to your iPhone.

i understand that but i want to do it legit and just buy the damm ringtones... i just see my brother buying ringtones from cingular and wonder why i cannot do that.. what are the restrictions...

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
One thing to keep in mind here is that the iPhone is not JUST a cell phone. Because of it's complexity it is not on the same level as a regular cell phone, which means it is not always able to accept regular cell phone stuff. The same is true for Palms Treos. I've never been able to download a normal ringtone from a carrier to any of the Treos I had. There were actually better ways to get ringtones for the Treo than was available for regular phones. There are always tradeoffs, if you want a regular phone that can download ringtones and graphics from your provider, you give up all the functionality of a phone like the iPhone. If you want a more complex PDA phone, you usually have to give up the easy gimmicky stuff providers offer to regular phones. Give it time, Apple will give us this functionality at some point. Personally, I can't wait, but don't have much choice.
Hope that helps some.

Zman-iPhone

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007

thanks......
what does it say in the top left corner of your screen?

A......T.....& effing T

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
One thing to keep in mind here is that the iPhone is not JUST a cell phone. Because of it's complexity it is not on the same level as a regular cell phone, which means it is not always able to accept regular cell phone stuff. The same is true for Palms Treos. I've never been able to download a normal ringtone from a carrier to any of the Treos I had. There were actually better ways to get ringtones for the Treo than was available for regular phones. There are always tradeoffs, if you want a regular phone that can download ringtones and graphics from your provider, you give up all the functionality of a phone like the iPhone. If you want a more complex PDA phone, you usually have to give up the easy gimmicky stuff providers offer to regular phones. Give it time, Apple will give us this functionality at some point. Personally, I can't wait, but don't have much choice.
Hope that helps some.
yes that is true it took me about a yr to get ringtones for my treo via 3rd party [minitones] .... i can wait ... just wanted to know the reason like the technical stuff and what not