Please help, need to know exactly what to tell AT&T inorder for MMS to work

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
Had MMS working because they provisioned me with a moto razr. MMS worked great but they removed all my iPhone data/visual voicemail features. Nothing else worked on my iPhone! Called back and spent 45 minutes getting lectured by a senior tech that it's impossible to be provisioned for 2 phones. I told them that I know of atleast 20 people having this work he called me a liar! I have neow added my iPhone plans back on my account and MMS doesn't work now !?! I am extremely pissed here! Please help ans give me all the details to what I need to say and instruct AT&T to get this working!
Thx in advance

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Had MMS working because they provisioned me with a moto razr. MMS worked great but they removed all my iPhone data/visual voicemail features. Nothing else worked on my iPhone! Called back and spent 45 minutes getting lectured by a senior tech that it's impossible to be provisioned for 2 phones. I told them that I know of atleast 20 people having this work he called me a liar! I have neow added my iPhone plans back on my account and MMS doesn't work now !?! I am extremely pissed here! Please help ans give me all the details to what I need to say and instruct AT&T to get this working!
Thx in advance
Tell them you want your line provisioned for mms, it's that simple. If you get someone who says they can't because you are an iPhone either tell them they might as well remove your opt out codes while you are on the phone or just call back and try to get someone who will provision you.

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
Tell them you want your line provisioned for mms, it's that simple. If you get someone who says they can't because you are an iPhone either tell them they might as well remove your opt out codes while you are on the phone or just call back and try to get someone who will provision you.

The senior tech insured me that all the provision for MMS has been done! He said that I was a liar and none with iPhone plans can be provisioned for MMS
?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
The senior tech insured me that all the provision for MMS has been done! He said that I was a liar and none with iPhone plans can be provisioned for MMS
?
Well if iPhone plans can't be provisioned then how were you? Not asking you I am asking him. I would call back and try to get someone else, he probably said that to shut you up. The guy I got back in March was very helpful I wish we could call specific people back at AT&T because I would give you his number. He was happy to help when I said I was a beta user and wanted to try mms he said ok and it was obvious he was going through a list of stuff in his head of what to do then he reset network settings on his end then had me do it on my phone. After that it was working and I haven't had a problem since. I wish I even had the number I called to get whatever department I called.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
When I was provisioned back in March, I had to switch to a non-iphone text plan for MMS to work.
That is a MUST not only just so it will work but because for the few who got it to work on the iPhone one got charged per mms since the iPhone one doesn't include them.

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
When I was provisioned back in March, I had to switch to a non-iphone text plan for MMS to work.
I did that last month and MMS never worked. It was only last night when the tech provisioned me on a moto razr phone is when MMS worked successfully and fully! I check my voicemail this AM and I didn't even have a voicemail account and called AT&T and that's when they told me they removed everything iPhone related because I was using a razr! I told them again that I would be using 2 phones, iPhone for reg use and razr to send MMS messeges. Thy said that I could only be provisioned for one phone and if I choose the iPhone, MMS provision couldn't be accepted! I am soo pissed, please help

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
That is a MUST not only just so it will work but because for the few who got it to work on the iPhone one got charged per mms since the iPhone one doesn't include them.
Yeah, I was being charged per MMS, but that fee was waived each time.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I did that last month and MMS never worked. It was only last night when the tech provisioned me on a moto razr phone is when MMS worked successfully and fully! I check my voicemail this AM and I didn't even have a voicemail account and called AT&T and that's when they told me they removed everything iPhone related because I was using a razr! I told them again that I would be using 2 phones, iPhone for reg use and razr to send MMS messeges. Thy said that I could only be provisioned for one phone and if I choose the iPhone, MMS provision couldn't be accepted! I am soo pissed, please help
You just have to get the right person from AT&T because they have to do it anyway for it to be ready 'later this summer'. Like I said I had someone at AT&T do it and they did a wonderful job because I haven't lost it and I am still listed as using my iPhone. It is possible to be provisioned and have an iPhone.

I found this number from back in the beta 1 or 2 days: call 800-331-0500 and ask to be provisioned and if they can't then ask for level 2 tech support. And see if they will help you better.

redneck47441

Bronze
Jun 3, 2009
What's the difference between the iPhone text plan and the AT&T 1?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
What's the difference between the iPhone text plan and the AT&T 1?
#1 iPhone one doesn't include mmsm you have to pay per mms on it
#2 Their system seems to lock you out better and more frequently if you are on the iPhone plan because when it would do sweeps to keep us from getting mms activated back when there was no support, having an iPhone text plan and being provisioned raised a big flag and undid the provisioning.

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
well, after about 7 calls to AT&T and other reseach, here is what I've concluded..... I have been insured I am MMS provisioned (no blocks or opt out codes on my account)and the only way that i can get MMS to work at all on any phone is to remove the iPhone data plan from my account and get a media net package (any media net package). Since iPhones use safari as a browser (different from other phones) and MMS needs some type of browser option (like media net) in order to work correctly, this is what needs to be done. Everyone who's gotten MMS to work, AT&T reps made sure that their internet worked also. If it didn't they added the media net package.

if i get unlimited media net for my razr, it costs $15.00 a month
if I get unlimited media net for a PDA phone (palm, black jack, blackerry), it costs $30.00
unlimited data for iPhone is $30.00

the only difference here is that the unlimited iPhone data plan has the visual voicemail function. Not sure why the $15.00 difference from non pda phone to pda phones are but the rep said that i need the plan that is made for the phone I am using.
Last night, I switched my SIm into an old razr and they added the $15.00 unlimited media net package and everything (including MMS) on my iPhone worked except visual voicemail
So i am thinking of just re-adding (removed today, and MMS stopped working) the $15.00 unlimited data package back to my plan telling them its for my razr and then using my iPhone with everything working except visual voicemail until AT&T gets MMS working for our iPhones
It's really a $15 savings with MMS working
any opinions on this

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Yeah I have the iPhone data plan with working mms. I gotta hand it to that guy he really did a good job, I wish I could call and thank him for almost 4 months of working mms on my iPhone with no changes to my features.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I haven't read the whole thread because I'm not so concerned with MMS at this point, but this Gizmodo article might have something to do with getting it working:

According to them, the whole delay with AT&T is them having to manually remove the "MMS opt out" code, whatever that means. If you can manage to do this yourself somehow, you might get MMS working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 24, 2007
New Jersey
Anyone know how long it may take after they switch you to a text messaging plan with mms and they enable wap push and reset your network settings? I had to power cycle my phone so I couldn't stay on with rep but still getting prompted to try again after trying to send text.

Thanks

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Anyone know how long it may take after they switch you to a text messaging plan with mms and they enable wap push and reset your network settings? I had to power cycle my phone so I couldn't stay on with rep but still getting prompted to try again after trying to send text.

Thanks
Toggle your airplane mode switch and then try. The longest it should take would be a couple of hours, but it might still take until tomorrow maybe because of them trying to do this for everyone.

redneck47441

Bronze
Jun 3, 2009
So by switching text plans will this allow mms after the 3.0 update on june 17 or will we still have to wait till fall?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
So by switching text plans will this allow mms after the 3.0 update on june 17 or will we still have to wait till fall?
Knowing AT&T we will probably have to wait till fall. I have it working, so if you have the mms options and change that plan you just might get it working.

blarghonk

Bronze
Apr 22, 2009
Honestly, the dumb phone method iphun told me to do worked. Just put your sim in the dumb phone and keep it in there. after a while if you go to your my account page, you'll see the dumb phone as your device instead of the iPhone. at that point keep trying to get on media net until you get it to work, then start trying mms. once it works, put the sim back in the iPhone. mine's been working for over a month with that method. it really is the easiest way. just make sure you can send them before you put it back in the iPhone. the whole process took me 1 1/2-2 hrs. Make several phone calls and send a lot of sms while it's in the other phone, the system will think you've switched phones and provision your account accordingly. To be honest, the reps probably did "provision" your account, and by that they mean wap/push is attatched to your account, but they don't have the ability to take off the "mms opt out" feature anymore. That's where the dumb phone comes in.

Trust me, this will work as long as you have the right carrier settings file.

blarghonk

Bronze
Apr 22, 2009
Knowing AT&T we will probably have to wait till fall. I have it working, so if you have the mms options and change that plan you just might get it working.
AT&T has stated that it will be available, as of today's schedule, in august.