Please HELP! updated to 1.1.3 and now my phone isn't recognized by iTunes

Jan 15, 2008
I have not had any problems with my phone before this:

iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "----'s iPhone".
Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.

Today I updated to 1.1.3, and I also updated iTunes today to the latest version.

I purchased one song on my phone through iTunes on my phone. I connected to my PC and I used the 'transfer purchases' option under the File menu. The song transferred properly and I disconnected my iPhone (using the eject button beside where it is listed under devices on the left).

My iPhone music library then showed no songs, so I hooked it back up to my computer to sync it and that is when the real trouble began, listed in bold above.

What do I do?
I do not want a factory restored phone. I have pictures by people's names in my contact list that I cannot ever replace.

I have reset it using the home key/sleep button combo until the Apple logo shows. No dice.
I have also shut off and restarted my iPhone and computer as well. No luck there either.
Any other ideas?
I am really not impressed with this. I expect this from my xbox 360, not an Apple product.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jul 9, 2007
Orange County, CA
iTunes should have created a backup before you upgraded that should restore all the content you had before. For some reason when I upgraded, iTunes saw my iPhone as a different/new iPhone. After messing with it for hours it finally recognized it as the iPhone I had before the upgrade and it synced all the stuff I had before.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but if you do a search on Apple's site for backup or force backup you should find some info.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
When I first got my iPhone, I synced it with my PC because my ibook is so old that it did not have Tiger (so I could not sync the iPhone to it). Then I got Tiger (computer too old to run Leopard), upgraded iBook, and tried to sync iPhone. At this point, iTunes recognized all the ipods we have, but no iPhone! I had to uninstall iTunes and reinstall it. Maybe that will work for you?