Please help with battery issue

golfergirl13

Bronze
Apr 10, 2009
I received my unlock/jailbroken iPhone today in the mail...yes, I bought it off ebay. Anyways, when I turned on the iPhone, it said only 10% battery, so I immediately plug the iPhone. It is showing in the red, however, I do not see the charger icon underneath the battery display. So, far its been charging for about 30 minutes and the red bar hasn't even moved and it keeps saying 10% battery.

Also, I dialed my phone number and the iPhone didn't even ring, however, I did get my voice message.

By the way, the person I bought it off said, he could not unlock with the software, thereforee, he had to go buy a turbo sim card so the iPhone could be unlocked.

Any help would be appreciated.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
well lets address the battery issue first.

have you tried plugging it in to multiple outlets or use a different cord? perhaps try plugging it into your coputer's usb and see if that will charge it. i'm not a huge fan of buying things on ebay because this could turn into a he said she said type of thing. when you plug it in you should see a little electricity bolt running vertical through the middle of your battery icon. if not then it isn't charging. another way to tell if it is charging is once you plug it in, auto lock it by hitting the button, then hit the home button once. an image of a green or red battery should come up indicating how much charge you have on your iPhone.

as far as the unlocking. i'm assuming he updated it to 2.2.1 and that is why he had to use a turbosim. right now (unless your iPhone is a select few and we can address that later in the iPhone modifications section) your baseband has been upgraded and cannot be unlocked via software. so if you want to use it on a carrier other than AT&T, you will have to either wait for an unlock or purchase a turbosim off of ebay.

golfergirl13

Bronze
Apr 10, 2009
I have connected the iPhone to another power outlet using the cable and power adapter that was included in the box and still same thing. I guess I will have to buy a different cord, since I only have one that was included the in the box.

I have also tried plugging it onto my laptop usb and still same issue. Its been charging for 3 hours and it still says 10% battery.

I do not see a little electricity bolt running vertical through the middle of the battery icon

I am still new to the iPhone. How do I auto lock by hitting the button. What button?

Yes, he did update it to 2.2.1

Also, I just rebooted the iPhone by holding power + home until the screen flashes and then turn it on and now I just get the battery indicator and a red line flashing. It also gives me the battery display with the plug indicator and the lightning bolt indicator. So, what does that mean?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
that means your batter is basically all the way out of power. when i say auto lock you just hit the power button once. i hope for your sake that the guy didn't sell you a lemon iPhone that won't charge. get a new cord and try that, if not you are probably SOL.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I would try charging it from a computer, or use a different USB cable, or try using another plug in a diff room if the phone wont charge. If still no, i think you can take it to an Apple store.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
As long as the water sensor hasn't been activated. I bought a 3g from ebay with no mention of damage to find the water sensor had been tripped. sent straight back! lol

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Im a bit leary about buying electronics from ebay or craigs list, a pic is really useles as to its internal condition...so all you really have is their word that it does what its supposed to do...hope it works out for you.

golfergirl13

Bronze
Apr 10, 2009
I talked with a co-worker who knows quite a bit about the iPhone and he thinks its mostly like the charger that is the issue and not the iPhone itself.

My co-worker just brought me an ipod charger and guess what? Its charging! He said it should take about an hour to fully charge. Hopefully this was just a charger issue.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I received my unlock/jailbroken iPhone today in the mail...yes, I bought it off ebay. Anyways, when I turned on the iPhone, it said only 10% battery, so I immediately plug the iPhone. It is showing in the red, however, I do not see the charger icon underneath the battery display. So, far its been charging for about 30 minutes and the red bar hasn't even moved and it keeps saying 10% battery.

Also, I dialed my phone number and the iPhone didn't even ring, however, I did get my voice message.

By the way, the person I bought it off said, he could not unlock with the software, thereforee, he had to go buy a turbo sim card so the iPhone could be unlocked.

Any help would be appreciated.
If the phone is not charging off the cable you have you really need to try another one. Just about any iPod or iPhone (approved versions only) will do from either a USB port or the USB wall charger.
Also, check your current cable and make sure that there is no debris in there that might block the charging pin. Do the same for the phone's port
If after trying all that, it's still not working, take it to Apple for an assessment. If they prove that the phone was Faulty, I would be getting my money back from the person that sold it to you.

golfergirl13

Bronze
Apr 10, 2009
My co-worker got an ipod charger and now the iPhone is fully charged.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Glad to hear it. So does that mean the cable you were initially using is bad?