Please help with iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shaila freeman, Aug 23, 2012.

1. shaila freeman

shaila freeman New Member

hi i have an iPhone 4 and i noticed the other day that a friend of mine message area on it was blue because he has an older model without facetime. anyway i have other friends with new and older models of iPhones that its not even called imessage or blue? but on my set for my friend it says imessage and blue? anyone know why? i make sure that i tell everyone who has one to mark me as having one too so we can facetime. thatnks!

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

If they have the newest iOS on their devices, they may need to turn iMessage on. ImageUploadedByiCafe1345757646.309063.jpg
    Settings, messages.

3. applejailescape

Gold

4. Xtreme LED

Xtreme LED New Member

Why is it annoying? If you txt another iPhone it's automatic and free.

5. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Not sure there is anything annoying about that unless you're AT&T. :eek:

6. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'm a bit late to the party, but I hope this clears it up...

iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 can do FaceTime on iOS 4, but not iMessage. Makes sense, because iMessage didn't arrive until iOS 5. On iOS 4, the message send button is always blue, because that's the color it was from the very first iPhone.

An iPhone 3GS can be upgraded to iOS 5 to get iMessage, even though the 3GS still doesn't get FaceTime.

iMessage and FaceTime use the same instant messaging technology to get the devices to start talking to each other, but they are not linked together, so you can have either one or both. An iMessage can happen without being registered for FaceTime, and vice versa.

You do not need to change any labels in the contact screen in order for iMessage or FaceTime to link up. In other words, it's not necessary to label somebody's phone number "iPhone" in order for this to work. It automatically uses this instant messaging technology to look up whether an iMessage or FaceTime call to that number or email is possible, regardless of the label. You can even start a new message to somebody that isn't in your contacts list, and it will automatically find out whether they're on iMessage.

So, if you can't start an iMessage conversation with your other iphone-owning friends, make sure they've updated to iOS 5 and switched on iMessage as RoofMonkey showed. If it says "Waiting for activation" underneath the switch, then they may need to turn the switch off and back on.

(though, I'd recommend turning off "Send as SMS" to avoid sending text messages accidentally when an iMessage fails or is slow to send)