Please I need help with my iPhone 3G

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
So i have a 3g and its been ipwned and i wanted to restore so i first went into settings on the phone and did a erase all data and now it wont get past the Apple logo when booted on (or in my case the pinApple sign). i don't know how to let iTunes recognize it so i can restore it and im freaking out lol, this is the first time ive done something so stupid, any help will be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
How long has it been since you did the "Erase All Content and Settings" thing. You now that can take well over an hour, right?
If it's within an hour time frame, just give it some time. It's not done yet.

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
How long has it been since you did the "Erase All Data and Settings" thing. You now that can take well over an hour, right?
If it's within an hour time frame, just give it some time. It's not done yet.

O ok, its been about 45 minutes, and ive done a few hard resets and it stilldoesnt get past that screen, have i messed it up?:eek:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Just leave it alone for now.

I don't know if it's messed up because you hard reset it a few times, but it says when you press "Erase iPhone" TWICE, that it will take over an hour.

Did you miss that part? :p

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just leave it alone for now.

I don't know if it's messed up because you hard reset it a few times, but it says when you press "Erase iPhone" TWICE, that it will take over an hour.

Did you miss that part? :p
o man im so stupid:(
what if my baby is ruined?

if it is messed up, what are my options?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I don't know... You shouldn't have been able to do anything to the phone while it's doing that according to Apple, but if you were able to, and after another hour or so, the phone is stuck like that, you could try putting it into DFU mode and then restoring.

DFU Mode Instructions

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
I don't know... You shouldn't have been able to do anything to the phone while it's doing that according to Apple, but if you were able to, and after another hour or so, the phone is stuck like that, you could try putting it into DFU mode and then restoring.

DFU Mode Instructions
So its rebooting and goes to the pinApple logo and than flashes white and re does the pinApple logo again, i think the full erase is done, it may of erased something that helped boot it im thinking, and now my computer isn't recognizing it at all, its actually been 1 hour and 20 minutes.

im scared to take it into Apple because there not gonna help a modded iPhone

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
You should be fine.. do the DFU restore ^ And for future reference, there's no need to invoke the "erase all data" feature on the phone. A restore will do that for you.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Do what freakydeaky said, and in case you ever get curious about messing around with things like that, pay a little more attention next time, yeah? ;)

And also, there's no way the phone would accidentally delete something that helps it boot up... I'm thinking it was probably because someone interrupted the phone when it was doing something! :p

icemanplh

Dec 17, 2008
missouri
that doesn't make any sense for Apple to put something that would mess up the phone no a erasing all the data would not screw up you phone but like what freakydutch said just a restore will fix most problems... alright i have a sure way to fix your phone opens up itune but don't have your phone plugged in yet wait for iTunes to be open the hold the home button while plugging your phone in... i had a similar problem to you and this solved it but you going to lose all you contacts and it going to be unjailbreak

lild7hina

Bronze
Oct 28, 2007
Yeah i had this happen to me... i was bored and stupid and tried it while jailbroken.. i was constantly in a loop for a day... and then just put the phone in dfu mode and restored it via iTunes

Jan 19, 2009
question bout "erase all content and settings"

so i had a guy unlock and jailbreak my iPhone, he put swap tunes on it and when i tried to delete some movies they wouldn't go anywhere. so i deleted by syncing with comp but with "movie sync" unchecked, and they were removed from phone. BUT...the phone is still reading that the memory is in use.

i cant restore because iTunes is reading the same memory use with nothing there.

so i was thinking of doing the "erase all content and settings" but i don't know what that will do.

will i have to re-unlock and jailbreak phone

laststanding

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
So i have a 3g and its been ipwned and i wanted to restore so i first went into settings on the phone and did a erase all data and now it wont get past the Apple logo when booted on (or in my case the pinApple sign). i don't know how to let iTunes recognize it so i can restore it and im freaking out lol, this is the first time ive done something so stupid, any help will be greatly appreciated,

thanks
Next time try restoring through iTunes.