Please! Nedd help with Contacts!

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Hi all. So some how all my contacts in Outlook got erased and are now only on my iPhone. I need to restore my iPhone to factory settings, thus they'll all be erased there too and I'll lose them forever. Question is, how can get my contacts back into Outlook before I restore? I'm dying here for any help! Thanks in advance

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
When your iPhone is connected to iTunes, go to your iPhone. Then go to the Info tab at the top and you will see Contacts. Check 'Sync Contacts with' and choose which one you want to sync with in the drop down menu which should include outlook, gmail, yahoo, etc. Then in the bottom right corner you should either be able to 'Apply' or 'Sync' the changes you made which will sync them to the one you chose.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Oh and as long as you are using a backup to restore from, your contacts will be in it but I guess it's safer to have them backed up to an external source. Although I don't know why they got erased from Outlook.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I tried what you said earlier and it didn't work. It initially asked me if I wanted to merge the contacts on my phone and the one I had left in Outlook so i said yes. It merged them but only on my phone. Outlook is still empty. Any idea what could cause this? I would like to sync with an external source but how do I do that through iTunes?

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Just tried syncing with Windows Address Book and still, nothing is transferring over. This is maddening!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I don't know what could be causing that and can't test it anymore because I switched to a mac, but when I was on windows I synced it to my gmail with no problems at all. Then set it up to sync with mobile me which is great and doesn't require syncing with iTunes to keep everything in sync. I would say to try one of the external sources like gmail, yahoo, or mobile me so you are safe from having outlook deleting them or a computer crash.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks I'll try it again. One thing I noticed was when the "merge" prompt came up, I thought I had to choose either merge or don't merge, but apparently selecting cancel just cancels that merge request window and continues to sync. After I restore I'm going to try that and hope for the best. I guess worst case I have tons of back ups with my contacts in them, but that's a crappy way to continue my iPhone life :(

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
You could sync with google contacts then export from google
contacts to outlook. Or of you are using s mac just sync it with google. Kind of a runaround but it should work.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
You could sync with google contacts then export from google
contacts to outlook. Or of you are using s mac just sync it with google. Kind of a runaround but it should work.
Lame question maybe but are Google contacts accessed through Gmail?

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Alright synced it with Google and nothing. It still will not copy them over. I guess I'll have to do this manually. So PISSED! Not only that, whenever I do this, it erases everything on my phone so I keep having to restore to a back up to get my contacts back :(:(

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Alright synced it with Google and nothing. It still will not copy them over. I guess I'll have to do this manually. So PISSED! Not only that, whenever I do this, it erases everything on my phone so I keep having to restore to a back up to get my contacts bask :(:(
What exactly are you doing? It shouldn't erase them all.

I found this Apple support article that I hope helps the problem because it shouldn't have a problem syncing your contacts - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1692

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Hi guys, one last crappy question. So I manually put all my contacts back into Outlook (Meh) and then synced and it works now. New problem is that it's putting two of each contact into my iPhone. Anybody know what the cause for this is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Saw this too late. Everything's working now except for the double contacts. Any ideas?
It is syncing the contacts from outlook and leaving the ones already on the phone alone which is correct, but it can't tell that they are doubles. At least you have a copy on the computer. I would still see if you can get them to sync to gmail or yahoo cause they are the most reliable places to store them.