PLEX on MY Apple TV 2G

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by BlindSpoTT, Nov 4, 2010.

1. BlindSpoTT

BlindSpoTT Zealot
    Gold

Well as you can see from here, the media server PLEX, has been ported to the Apple TV!

i have previously jailbroken mine, and installed the NitoTV, and now PLEX!

[​IMG]

Plex is a little buggy right now, because it is only in Beta. But, it works! (sort of) currently only video playback can be done, the audio for the video does work. but there is no music, or picture viewing as of yet. but the video playback is very nice! it even shows cover art for movies that i don't have cover art for.

[​IMG]

after the jailbreak, these are the instructions i followed to install PLEX:
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/20051-plex-client-for-apple-tv-2g/

the only issue i had was i needed to install a fresh copy of Plex onto my Mac, because mine was so old that updating it to the newest version didn't work.

http://www.plexapp.com/

ENJOY! ;)

#1 BlindSpoTT, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm all about this... looks like I'll be purchasing an AppleTV after all.

If I have my media on an NAS, can I stream it to the AppleTV using my desktop as the "media server".

So NAS ----> Computer ------> Plex on AppleTV.

Right now, I have Plex installed on a Mac Mini and streams videos from my NAS.

3. BlindSpoTT

BlindSpoTT Zealot
    Gold

i would assume so. whatever is viewable through Plex on your Mac is viewable on the ATV2.

4. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

These are very exciting times
    I have high hopes for this $99 device.

Skype & Angry Birds & Airplay = Fun!

5. BlindSpoTT

BlindSpoTT Zealot
    Gold

Yes they are! PLEX is going to be great and all, but the one I am looking forward to the most is Boxee. Because as with the original AppleTV, it will support Hulu! And having Hulu in my living room, may be enough to say goodbye to the cable company!

And I have already read that the original creator of Boxee of the first gen AppleTV is working in it for the AppleTV 2G!

Yes, when the other iOS apps can be brought over, Hulu could be used there, but that still cost $10/month...

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've been looking at the various Plex ports to Apple TV. Plex Connect and an actual Plex app. I need to check this out.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Chris this post is 4 years old, I'm a little confused, are you saying there's native Plex support for ATV2 now?

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

According to what I've read (admittedly very little), it appears that you don't need to do jailbreak in order to use Plex Connect. Plus, it works on the Apple TV 3. Here's an overview at the Plex forums.