Plex

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Plex is a media management app that allows streaming of various programs through the use of "apps", all of which are free. I just started importing my DVD's with the use of Handbrake. Here are a couple of screenshots. This is worth downloading and checking out. You need to use the keyboard to control Plex and it can be a bit tricky. Once you figure it out, it's pretty awesome and a perfect app for those who've considered setting up a HTPC.

Last edited:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Not to steal your thread's thunder, but I've been getting into the HTPC thing lately with my new plasma, and I'm using another free program worth checking out if you're into this sort of thing.

http://xbmc.org/download/

It started as a media player for Xbox, but grew to support almost all OSes. It's open-source with lots of skins and modifications available. But I like it because I can control everything with a universal IR remote. This requires an IR receiver and a utility to translate from Microsoft MCE format to the XBMC format. But now that everything is remapped, I have full control from my remote.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not to steal your thread's thunder, but I've been getting into the HTPC thing lately with my new plasma, and I'm using another free program worth checking out if you're into this sort of thing.

http://xbmc.org/download/

It started as a media player for Xbox, but grew to support almost all OSes. It's open-source with lots of skins and modifications available. But I like it because I can control everything with a universal IR remote. This requires an IR receiver and a utility to translate from Microsoft MCE format to the XBMC format. But now that everything is remapped, I have full control from my remote.

You aren't stealing my thunder at all. I'm all amped up about this HTPC thing. Not sure, but I believe Plex was apparently conceived out of XBMC.

I haven't delved much into the remote side of things yet. I have a Harmony universal and seen a number of threads where people have set up scripts, etc.

I think it's the scraping that just amazes me. It really allows you to catalog, organize and watch your media --- that was not my experience with Apple TV.

My wife and I were just talking about watching a few TV show seasons from shows we enjoyed. That's the beauty of HTPC. Everything is going digital, be it streaming or files. Why not enjoy it now. :)

When you click into a series, the title track of that particular show plays in the background.

Not sure I'm going to use the Music portion of Plex. Haven't delved into that yet.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
There's definitely a relation between the two, based on these XBMC screens.

Last edited:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The thing I love about having a HTPC is not having to waste DVR space on network shows and being able to stream them. We never watch anything live anyway.

Reminds me, I have to look into Hulu and Youtube extensions to XMBC. Right now I have to break out a keyboard and mouse (or VNC on the iPhone) to use those. Either that or walk all the way over to the laptop... bugger that!) :eek:k:eek:k

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The thing I love about having a HTPC is not having to waste DVR space on network shows and being able to stream them. We never watch anything live anyway.

Reminds me, I have to look into Hulu and Youtube extensions to XMBC. Right now I have to break out a keyboard and mouse (or VNC on the iPhone) to use those. Either that or walk all the way over to the laptop... bugger that!) :eek:
For Plex, I believe you can link the plug-in to the Hulu Desktop app.

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
On second thought, you add it as an Application, which quits Plex and opens the Hulu app. The Hulu app is nice. Wife was asking about the show Glee, which is on Hulu. Shortly after she asks, "what are you doing", I'll show her how she can access all this content.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My wife gave me the clear instructions to "figure it all out before you show me anything". :) I finally got to that point and she can now use it easily and likes the interface.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My wife gave me the clear instructions to "figure it all out before you show me anything". :) I finally got to that point and she can now use it easily and likes the interface.
For all my AV discussion, I usually hit up AVSForum. They use the term WAF when discussing stuff --- it's known as the "Wife Acceptance Factor".:sneaky:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not sure if I mentioned, but you should check out Air Mouse Pro (App Store link). Set it up today with my desktop and it works surprisingly great. It supports both Mac and PC. You can download the desktop software at Air Mouse. Nice inexpensive alternative the Logitech Dinovo Mini that I keep seeing mentioned in HTPC circles.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Nice find. I briefly skimmed this app when looking for alternatives to the free Mocha VNC. I totally missed the accelerometer control. I have a dying Gyration air mouse (same tech company that's behind the Wii remote) that I was contemplating buying a new battery pack for. This is a lot cheaper!

Ironically, though, I almost prefer the touch input. I have to tweak the controls a bit more, though. But sweet find! This is perfect for a HTPC setup.

Caliaskan

Jul 1, 2010
SoCal
Air mouse pro works great with plex... It's what I use. You can also use any harmony remote with plex, most people do, and there is a setting for it under preferences>system>input device.

Plex originally was developed as a Mac only alternative to xbmc. Boxee is xbmc's cross platform solution. I think boxee sucks IMHO.