Pls Help MobileFinder problem

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I deleted my previous mobilefinder and now that I am trying to reinstall it I am getting an error. It says "Error MobileFinder requires the BSD Subsystem package. Please install it first." What should I do? What can I do?

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
LOL. Ah....install the BSD first.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
LOL. Ah....install the BSD first.
I was finally able to install the
BSD. Hehehe thanks. I installed mobilefinder using ibrikr and I never recalled having to install the BSD. Thats why when I got that problem I didn't understand what went wrong.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Glad you go it up and running! Sometimes this stuff seems difficult on the surface but in reality it is pretty simple. Sorry I did not get back to you quick to help - not on here a whole lot.

chavezr6

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
So what does MobileFinder actually do for you? I guess more to the point, what is it's point?

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Not much. I do use the BSD - but for using linux commands via a terminal app. The Mobile Finder has a few "plugins" which, and I have not used them, give MobileFinder a bit more functionality. There is a web site with info on this app and its:

http://code.google.com/p/mobilefinder/

Giies

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
so can someone tell me what exactly is BSD?

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I believe these letters comes from Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD), it is the unix style command line applications and are compiled for the iPhone. Things like "mkdir", "cp", "kill", etc. applications are placed into a bin directory to allow for access by other iPhone applications (not the Apple created apps but for the many applications created for the iPhone by the "hackers"). Some of the installer listed applications REQUIRE some specific unix command line applications to be present on the iPhone in the bin directory. (I believe if an app requires the BSD - it indicates that it does. But there may be some rogue app that will not function and will not say so.) This is also called a BinKit - Binary Kit.