Plugged iPhone - JBL Speakers help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iang

Sep 10, 2007
washington DC
Hi All, I was at work and a friend had the JBL onstage speakers plugged into their Ipod. We were talking and thought it might play my songs from iPhone. Big mistake.... My phone wouldn't play unphooked it after less than 20 seconds...then it was sounding scratchy through its own speakers.
Then I restarted it....it seemed to work fine. Then I left it off. Returned to it in about an hour and it was very hot. Tried to turn it on and it said the battery was low and shut off. (it had a weird symbol)
Now I am home and trying to recharge it but I see nothing happening when I put it in the dock and plugg it in the wall.
Any help appreciated...
Is it screwed?
I am taking it to Apple store tomorrow I guess after work.
Thanks in advance for any notes or thoughts.
Ian

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Before settling for the Altec Lasing Mi600, I must have docked my iPhone into every displayed dock for iPods at BB. What was I thinking?...:eek:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah I hate to say it but that's probably not good. Apple really should put out an email detailing EXACTLY which Ipod-compatible products on the market are specifically BAD for the iPhone, because they're obviously out there.

Anyone willing to compile all the examples posted so far at the EIC? :)

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I have the JBL On Stage and use it with my iPhone all the time. It always ask if I want to go into Airplane Mode, which I do now because if I don't I get that speaker feedback crap. FWIW, I use it at least 3 times a week, with no issues. I have the early generation on stage. I wonder if the new generation ones have something different going on with them.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I really hope that I'm wrong but I think you have fried the battery. Stop back and let us know how it goes at the Apple store.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Yeah I hate to say it but that's probably not good. Apple really should put out an email detailing EXACTLY which Ipod-compatible products on the market are specifically BAD for the iPhone, because they're obviously out there.

Anyone willing to compile all the examples posted so far at the EIC? :)

This is really good reading, I had no idea this was possible, I too was going to BB today and check them out. But not now.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, the problem exists with the way the thing charges the iPod. If it uses the cheap way of charging (someone posted details on it, I believe using a resistor instead of a transistor) it can seriously damage the phone.

iang

Sep 10, 2007
washington DC
Apple gave me a new iPhone

Okay, so I registered with the genius desk.
They plugged my iPhone in to see if it would charge in ten minutes.
It did not.
They very quickly gave me a new iPhone telling me that my old one was now dead.
They took out the little card and placed it in the new one.
I have the 4 gig iPhone and they gave me another 4 gig iPhone.
All I did was sign a receipt for them that had a zero balance.
I was really impressed with how fast they gave me a new phone.
No more plugging into anything unless I read the manual first.
Beware people.....

Ian

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Okay, so I registered with the genius desk.
They plugged my iPhone in to see if it would charge in ten minutes.
It did not.
They very quickly gave me a new iPhone telling me that my old one was now dead.
They took out the little card and placed it in the new one.
I have the 4 gig iPhone and they gave me another 4 gig iPhone.
All I did was sign a receipt for them that had a zero balance.
I was really impressed with how fast they gave me a new phone.
No more plugging into anything unless I read the manual first.
Beware people.....

Ian

Great another success story with Apple.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Apple should never have designed the phone where it is not compatible with other ipod accessories. Seems like yet another proprietary change to force you to buy all new accessories just so that they will work with the iPhone.