Pocket Calls

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
Twice now my phone has dialed someone when I was unaware of it, and all of a sudden I'm talking to someone and they're telling me "you called me!" In both instances it was a friend and we just laughed about it, but that could be very strange if the phone picked the wrong person!

We call them "Pocket Calls" from the days when we had non-flip phones and kept them in our pockets (Yes, we're that old) but in this instance my phone was in my purse, and in sleep mode. I wasn't touching it, or inadvertently applying pressure to the screen (accidentally sliding to unlock and then choosing phone, then choosing contacts etc. all the steps it would take to call these two people) and neither time were the people it called on my recent or favorite phone list.

Not a terrible thing to happen (unless it was. let's say, calling my ex-husband or something) but a puzzling one.

Has this happened to you? Is it just my phone or is this common and will be handled by the magical update everyone's so eager for? (The whole update to me seems like they're going to offer me MORE frosting for my cake, cake that's totally tasty the way it is already) Is there some setting I could change or do you have a simple tip that will make me think "Oh, that's so simple, why didn't I think of that?"

mark1k

Jun 27, 2007
The same thing happened to me once. I am not sure how it happened. The only thing I can figure out is that I had just hung up from a call and maybe I dialed the other person before I put the phone in my pocket.
Now, everytime I finish a call, I put the phone in sleep mode.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
do you guys have bluetooth headsets? if one was connected to your iPhone at the time, accidentally pressing the headset's button (on my jawbone, 2 button presses will re-dial the last number called) may have triggered those pocket calls...

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
do you guys have bluetooth headsets? if one was connected to your iPhone at the time, accidentally pressing the headset's button (on my jawbone, 2 button presses will re-dial the last number called) may have triggered those pocket calls...
I think the big detail to this story is they don't appear on recent calls. If that were the case, they would of.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
Take Care

I have learned to be extra careful where I put my fingers on the iPhone; silly thing will dial like a shark after wounded tuna. I have a friend with a BBerry and it dials me all the time from his pocket... don't think my iPhone would have those bad manners... :mad:

Mar 23, 2009
This has happened to me twice now. Both times my iPhone called my husband and he was standing only a few feet away from me. The first time my iPhone was in my purse not even close to me, and my husband said "you are calling me".... the second time my iPhone was sitting on my desk beside me...my husband sitting behind me at his desk and he says "you are calling me". He could see that I did not have my iPhone in my hand either time...its so bizarre!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
my phone is always in my front-right pocket with the screen facing my thigh, and in the 17+ months i've had it, it has never once "pocket called" anyone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I keep my iPhone in my front right pocket as well, screen in. The only time I've "pocket dialed" is when I didn't hit sleep quickly enough after an actual phone call and accidentally hit another contact, thus calling them.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Never pocket called or even pocket unlocked with my iPhone. It doesn't work through my pants as far as I know.