Pocket Mac

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
I hear of a lot of people wanting Quicken or something they can keep track of money with. I think that would be a good idea depending on how secure it is.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If the I phone is coming with OS X dose that mean its well do every thing a mac dose? I will be like a pocket PC right?
A PocketPC phone has a large selection of 3rd party applications, no different than a Palm OS phone. However, these applications are often responsible for making a phone unstable or the OS unstable to be more specific. With the iPhone, Apple has chosen not to allow 3rd party development to prevent issues with instability and reduce the support needed for the iPhone. How long this lasts is anybody's guess. If and when they do offer 3rd party apps, you can bet Apple will have stringent development requirements.

Edward

Mar 17, 2007
Dallas, TX
A PocketPC phone has a large selection of 3rd party applications, no different than a Palm OS phone. However, these applications are often responsible for making a phone unstable or the OS unstable to be more specific. With the iPhone, Apple has chosen not to allow 3rd party development to prevent issues with instability and reduce the support needed for the iPhone. How long this lasts is anybody's guess. If and when they do offer 3rd party apps, you can bet Apple will have stringent development requirements.
And I think I'm one of thew few people who likes this about Apple. I am certain more applications will be available for the iPhone and that they will be easy to acquire. It's just a matter of time and patience too see which ones are approved by Apple.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
And I think I'm one of thew few people who likes this about Apple. I am certain more applications will be available for the iPhone and that they will be easy to acquire. It's just a matter of time and patience too see which ones are approved by Apple.
You are definitely not alone. I have had my fill of testing software compatibility with my current WM5 based phone. I look forward to adding an application to the iPhone without fear that it will cause the phone to become unstable. Besides, most of the 3rd party applications I currently use are not required with the iPhone since its UI doesn’t need to be supplemented to be usable like WM5’s UI does.

beley

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
Currently the iPhone doesn't have any third party apps other than Google Maps which Apple worked closely with on initial development.

I think they'll eventually open up to some developers but I doubt you'll see a market flooded with apps you can install on the iPhone. That's the main problem with the smarphones out now - you get a couple apps installed and the things start crashing because the apps aren't compatible.

robbys

Feb 25, 2007
I totally and completely agree with you. My dad has a Treo 650 and although it is nice to be able to download apps talored to your businesss or lifestyle, I can't count how many times that thing has crashed and required a hard reset....which basically wipes the device and requires a sync to get all your stuff back. Keeping the iPhone stable will give it an edge that no other devices currently have.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
If the I phone is coming with OS X dose that mean its well do every thing a mac dose? I will be like a pocket PC right?
You question also regards the OS itself. Yes it's a working version of the Mac OS, but it's stripped down and not the same full OS you'll find pre-installed on a Mac. Interesting article here.

Then again, neither is Windows Mobile on a PocketPC the same as Windows on a desktop or laptop.

-K

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
:) I just got the idea while looking at that page. I pressed on the screen were the iPhone was and it felt good :) I have a Flat screen. Try it. But yeah It is not the full OS.

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
:) I just got the idea while looking at that page. I pressed on the screen were the iPhone was and it felt good :) I have a Flat screen. Try it. But yeah It is not the full OS.
That just gave me a good idea for the next Apple add. instead of having everyone say hello they should have everyone touching their computer sceens. You know trying to get the feel for the phone. Come on you all know you have tryed it!