Pokémon GO Player “Rafagon726” refused water at a Miami Taco Bell

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Rafagon, Oct 13, 2016.

?

Is Taco Bell in violation of basic human rights by not providing water to a thirsty human?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2016.
  1. Yes, they are, and they should suffer the fallout after I contact corporate and go public with this?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, they have aboslutely no obligation to give me water; they’re in the right.

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

When I play Pokémon GO on foot, jogging, walking, etc., I get very sweaty and thirsty. When I need a cup of water, I oftentimes enter into an establishment such as BK, Starbucks, or various small Hispanic cafeterias. They’re always happy to provide me with a free cup of water—the smallest and cheapest cup I’m sure, but hey, it’s a cup nonetheless and I can fill it up twice or three times.

Yesterday I wakled into a Taco Bell and one of the employees handed me the water that I requested and told me “This is the last time.”

Do fast food restaurant or places like Starbucks have an obligation to provide a cup of water to someone who isn’t buying anything? I’d like to know how this works better I head to Twitter and give them a piece of my mind.

#1 Rafagon, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Maybe it's because you wakled in this time in stead of just walked in.

I don't think they are obligated.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You really should just get a CamelBak. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. Water stays cool it it, your hands are free and it's not heavy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I saw some of those on clearance here at Sportsman's Warehouse this weekend for $10.97 each. Great Christmas presents for the kids. They hold 1.5 liters

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Remember, even the smallest cups cost the business money.
    I agree with @Europa. You can also fill the bag half way and pop it in the freezer.
    Add a little more water to help with the thawing & you'll have ice cold water as well as a cold pack on your back to help keep you cool.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've seen several restaurants with No Wakling signs.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

@Rafagon, you're not dying of thirst when you walk into a place after playing that silly game. Carry your own water. You're in a position where you can do that. I find it a bit disrespectful that you would equate their denial of your "basic human rights" when I see real hunger and thirst in the world.

Sorry if I came across a little more serious than I usually am, but this resonates with me for some reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Oh, man, this one's gonna get good. Anyone got some popcorn?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't freeze mine. I keep a water pitcher in the fridge and use it to fill up my Camelbak before I go hiking. It keeps the water cold for several hours, even when it's over 100° out.

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Freezing can cause a little extra wear and tear on the internal bladder ( the one in the camelback for anyone waiting to make some kind of joke LOL )

But with those Pokémon players, they may need the extra few hours the ice would give. Hahahaaa

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I haven’t seen those, but it seems kind of inhumane to deny a cup of water.

12. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I would bet that if you were genuinely in destress and dehydrated they would give you water. Seeing as you frequent the same place(s) and take it for granted, it doesn't seem inhumane at all. What's up with all the feelings of entitlement these days, rhetorically speaking? ;)

Take some responsibility. :)

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you expecting free service? I'm sure they'll let you pay for a drink. I know water sounds like a petty request, but it slows down the line for their paying customers and the cups and the filtration cost money. Many businesses limit service to paying customers for these reasons.

IMO, it seems somewhat foolish to not bring a camelbak if you're going out walking all day. I try to be prepared and as self-sufficient as possible.

14. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Wow. Inhumane? What about the restaurants that only allow paying customers to use their restrooms? There are some places that put a combo pad on their restrooms, and the code is on your receipt.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Exactly. If the Taco Bell cashier noticed a dirt cloud surrounding him as walked across the street after having clawed and climbed his way out of a grave, I bet he would be compelled give him a complimentary cup of dihydrogen monoxide. Seeing him catch virtual Pokémon with his phone out on the street probably doesn't have the same effect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

A Camelbak, or a Source hydration pack is worth it's weight in gold in some situations. They are one of the most practical things to have whether you live in a desert/tropical, rural/suburban environment. When we look for life on other planets or moons, what is the first thing we look for? That should be a hint that water is something that should be a priority and not one to be relied on for others to provide. Also, always carry a flashlight. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I see Rafagon like this, with Comic Book Man's voice Comic_Book_Guy_WEE.jpg .

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I guess I was wrong. I am just so used to every single establishment having a restroom and a water fountain somewhere near it that I figured asking for a cup of water was sort of the equivalent of drinking water from an establishment's water fountain.

I guess I also got spoiled by the super nice lady at the nearby BK who always hands me a cup of water with a smile. Heck, at this point, she sees my face and automatically asks, “Cup of water?” But not everyone is forced to be nice… I just got lucky with her (no, not like that).

You’re right, it does slow down the line.

I do! That’s why I got a Mophie juice pack for my iPhone! :)

I guess I just didn’t think of getting one for myself. I’ll have to take a look at that Source hydration pack Kadelic suggested. Until then, the Trolley stop is close enough to my house that I can walk home, get a drink, get rid of one if necessary, and head back to the Trolley. There’s also a laundromat with an unattended water fountain in the area that I can make use of. They have sliding doors that apparently are always open. Any Pokémon player could surreptitiously slip in, use the water fountain, and then slip out the back door unnoticed.

Thank you for all the posts, guys! (y)

#18 Rafagon, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  19. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Why is this even a serious question?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List