Poll: Are you buying the Apple iPad?

Are you buying the tablet that Apple will announce today?

• Yes, my credit card is in hand.

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • No, I'm not buying it.

Votes: 51 68.9%

• Total voters

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
What a big disappointment. I was ready to jump on this thing but now I really doubt I will. Just not enough wow factor to make me want to plunk down $500.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I voted yes because there is always that possibility so far I am not that happy with what they have announced. If I do pick one up it will be the 16GB wifi only version.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Can't vote - the most obvious choice is missing. I'll likely buy once the feature set is a little better understood and we get to see how the usability actually differs from an iPhone. I won't pay $829 for a bigger iPhone with good "reader" capabilities, but if developers can make it more of a netbook type hybrid - I'm definitely buying. As it stands, if it's not more than it appears, I may still bite and get a 64BG WiFi version...

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
OMG! I AM BUYING AN IPAD AS SOON AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

Sorry about that. I'm a little calmer now. ;)

I am an avid reader and I used to have a Kindle (a first-gen one that was so hideous that I couldn't stand it) and I almost ordered a Nook recently. The ebook angle is actually enough for me to buy an iPad. Though the other functionality it will have for email, web browsing, etc. will make it even more useful. I don't think it will replace my MacBook Air, but if there is some way to edit documents I have stored on my iDisk, it could. (My main Mac will still be my Mac mini.)

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
They probably figure if they let all of us iPhone/iPod touch users down, we'll go drop our money into this stupid gimmick. Not me. I've already got friends that said they will be in line for it even though they have an iPhone. Bunch of f'in retards if you ask me.

My cheapass 400$ laptop multitasks, runs flash, has WiFi, it's completely customizable. My girlfriend said 'its adorable'. Go get one guys. Enjoy your 'adorable' 500$ toy. I'll save my 500$ for something less stupid.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wow. Just read up on it.

No Multitasking with a 1gb cpu?

No FLASH(WTF?!?!)

I'm sorry, but Apple is laughing their way to the bank right now. I know a lot of people will buy it, but it is a HUGE waste of money IMO.

If they fix the multitasking, I will likely change my answer.

On a side note, I didn't catch the presentation, and I can't find the details on OS4.0 or whatever.

I know that this runs the iPhone OS, but it has a different dock, and background behind the icons. Is that the 'UI' change they were talking about?
I really thought they would have multi-tasking -- great way to show off it's capabilities and differentiate from the iPhone. In many ways, apps are more useful than actual websites. Wouldn't it be cool to fire up the iPad and have your Netflix app, Fedex, MLB, Clock, etc. Basically iPhone apps in a Dashboard like setting on a tablet -- or should I say iPad.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I just want to have my scrabble game run in the background while I reply to a text. Is that too much to ask? I reopen hundreds of apps each day because I get a text. It's by far the most annoying thing on the iPhone.

Even if FULL multitasking wasn't available, at least let me reply to a damn text without shutting everything down.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Multitasking is the only disappointment for me. I'm still getting one, though. I have no real use for a macbook. I had one and sold it last year. I think the iPad is dead sexy!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
OMG! I AM BUYING AN IPAD AS SOON AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

Sorry about that. I'm a little calmer now. ;)

I am an avid reader and I used to have a Kindle (a first-gen one that was so hideous that I couldn't stand it) and I almost ordered a Nook recently. The ebook angle is actually enough for me to buy an iPad. Though the other functionality it will have for email, web browsing, etc. will make it even more useful. I don't think it will replace my MacBook Air, but if there is some way to edit documents I have stored on my iDisk, it could. (My main Mac will still be my Mac mini.)
Same here. I've read 6 books on the iPhone so far, my current book is The Second Coming of Steve Jobs, by Alan Deutschman. A fantastic, insightful read.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
there was no iPhone OS announcement. no iPhone news at all.
much as I expected. I don't see a major iPhone release being announced with a new product. I expected it with the new iPhone so as not to steal the hype from either the iFail (excuse me, iPad) or the upcoming iPhone. I expect it to be pretty much the same as usual. New iPhone/new OS available around the same time.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Nope

I will buy my first Macbook Pro this week though if they announce a update to them today :D
I'd wait until the end of this year. Over the past two or so years Apple have changed their Macbooks around the Fall or so.

I won't be buying the iPad, mostly because I have no real use for it. I already have a Macbook and an iPhone. I could see why people would want one for a personal reader though.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Why is everyone so down on this iPad? It's an amazing piece of hardware. Just cause it doesn't have multitasking? It's a tablet, not a notebook. It's an awesome e-book reader that does all kinds of other crap.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Why is everyone so down on this iPad? It's an amazing piece of hardware. Just cause it doesn't have multitasking? It's a tablet, not a notebook. It's an awesome e-book reader that does all kinds of other crap.
You're serious aren't you?

ITS A BIG iPhone. Tell me one thing about it that the iPod touch doesn't do? Aside from the screen on steroids.

Why don't we start calling the iPhone the 'iMiniTablet(that makes calls/mms)'

I can see it now. Every time Apple sells one, the salesperson will call it the 'iJustRobbedYouOf499$' or more.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
You're serious aren't you?

ITS A BIG iPhone. Tell me one thing about it that the iPod touch doesn't do? Aside from the screen on steroids.

Why don't we start calling the iPhone the 'iMiniTablet(that makes calls/mms)'

you are giving it too much credit. it's not a big iPhone. It's a big iPod Touch ;)

Other than the iLife junk which I love having on my iMac but could care less for on a portable tablet, just about everything else can be done on the iPod touch or iPhone. And the iPhone can make calls. Advantage iPhone.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
you are giving it too much credit. it's not a big iPhone. It's a big iPod Touch ;)

Other than the iLife junk which I love having on my iMac but could care less for on a portable tabliet, just about everything else can be done on the iPod touch or iPhone. And the iPhone can make calls. Advantage iPhone.
Jason, a "Thanks" is in order here. :)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
ok if I was totally and completely sloppy drunk and decided to buy one of these things, I would totally bypass the 3g/AT&T model. How about using the built in wifi to pair with a Sprint 4g MiFi?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
lotta hate for the iPad...

I think it's a nice device. Just overlaps a lot of the tech we iPhone users have already.