POLL: Are you satisfied with Apple's good faith $100 Store Credit

Are you satisfied with Apple's good faith offering of a $100 store credit?

• Yes, I think it's fair.

Votes: 117 81.3%
  • No, I still feel they are not doing enough

Votes: 27 18.8%

• Total voters

AquaHump

Jul 30, 2007
DE
I can not wait to buy the 2 macs that I plan on buying. I think that this just good all the way around.

sas1

Aug 8, 2007
OUTSTANDING! Precisely what was needed (the $100 credit AND the letter of apology) to calm the restless throngs. I was not exactly angry over the price reduction, but was somewhat disappointed. I am not a long-time Apple user like I'm sure many if not most of you are, but rather a first-timer. Being a first-time Apple customer and really wanting to jump on the bandwagon for more future entries into the Apple world (iMac was (now is again) next on my list, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that after this event. With the great PR move on Apple's part, my confidence is restored as I'm sure it is for many other "newbies". It's all about perception and reputation.

Thanks for listening, Steve and Apple. kudos :laugh2:
I agree with you. I wasn't too pissed about the price cut since that is the way tech stuff goes. If the money mattered to me then I would have waited to buy it. I think the $100 is nice, but hope they acually follow through with it.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I am MORE than satisfied with it.

If you were not willing to spend 600 dollars then why did you? You all knew the cost.
Yes I was a little mad but you are getting mad at the wrong people for the wrong reasons. I was mad that I paid 600 dollars instead of 400, of course anyone in their right mind would be. But am I mad at Apple for lowering the price? No. Anyone of you would have taken advantage of that offer. There is no need to be mad at A. New iPhone owners, B. Steve Jobs, it is his company he can and will do whatever he wants to do with it., C. Apple Products in general. For years they have made quality products that have revolutionized the way we live today.

If anything I would expect us iPhone users to be happy that more people will get the phone. That means more developers,hackers, and users in general. The more people with iPhones the bigger and stronger our community becomes.

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Yes it's fair, all the early adopters get $100 store credit, better than nothing. The cool factor for owning it first fee has officially dropped to $150.

Don't count the TAX in the cool factor- My math results in $100.

P

ppreal

Now we know who Big Brother is: iGod !

Steve Jobs responded today with an open letter in which he said all iPhone early adopters would receive a $100 Store Credit.

Are you satisfied with Apple's good faith $100 Store Credit?
Are you crazy? We got ripped off.

It's like buying a phone for $200 for 2 months - it's highway robbery, out in the open, people stood in line for days to get this "fancy toy" and yesterday Big Brother Steve stole 100 or 200 dollars right out of our pockets.

I put down 2 grand on a quality product, a '98 233mhz 2Gb Wallstreet Powerbook which currently runs OS X Tiger with 500 mhz and 40 Gb - that was money well spent.

$100 dollar credit? What about those who paid $600 instead of $500?

Wanna be fair? Offer two options, (1) cash refund, $50 and $100 depending on the model, plus $50 and $100 store credit, or (2) $100 and $200 store credit... but nothing will makeup for the ripoff.

Now who the hell wants to spend $400 on a new 8Gb iPhone? There's obviously a better one right around the corner, which is gonna make the current one look like a dinosaur.

$200 for two months of use, what a bunch of suckers, myself included.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I voted yes but I am in the middle. I am very happy with the credit, but still wish that my phone was worth what it was when I bought it. I'm only used to cars taking that kind of a value dump! Just think....with the 4G being cut, it will probably be worth more than my phone in the future!

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
$100 dollar credit? What about those who paid $600 instead of $500?
The price drop was the same for both models. Why should one get more back?

Now who the hell wants to spend $400 on a new 8Gb iPhone? There's obviously a better one right around the corner, which is gonna make the current one look like a dinosaur.
I do agree with that, why buy an iPhone now, if a newer better one will be out in a few months.

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
Based on Steve's comments - it appears that he expects early adopters to pay top dollar whether or not a price drop is imminent.

iPhone if my first Apple purchase. It will be my last. If there is a 100.00 credit offered in their store - then I will buy an iPod touch for a friend for Christmas and be done with the company.

Lesson learned from Apple. We NEED you to come out in masses on the day of launch so we can show the world just how much Apple products are valued in the marketplace. But we will drop the price as soon as you fat wallets are done feeding - so we can sell more product. Learn your lesson this time boys and girls.

I will not be standing in line for their next big thing.

I think it would be a valuable lesson for Apple to learn if the next gen iPhone launch brought mediocre sales because everyone now knows they 'might' just drop the price in 60 days.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
Yes I think this is more than fair. He didn't have to do it but realized he had lost the respect of the Apple faithful. I will use my credit toward a new iPod nano.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So yesterday I completely understood why people were complaining. Today, I don't. We got hurt emotionally yesterday, that's all. It's not like Apple took away out iPhones. We did nothing but complain. And then what? We all get $100. Apple gave us $100 because we complained. Steve Jobs gave us $100 because we sent him hate mail.

Apple did not have to do this. It was their choice. Steve's choice.
So... why, again, are we still complaining?

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
So yesterday I completely understood why people were complaining. Today, I don't. We got hurt emotionally yesterday, that's all. It's not like Apple took away out iPhones. We did nothing but complain. And then what? We all get $100. Apple gave us $100 because we complained. Steve Jobs gave us $100 because we sent him hate mail.

Apple did not have to do this. It was their choice. Steve's choice.
So... why, again, are we still complaining?
Here's why:

First, for me, it wasn't about the money, it was about how I was treated as a customer.

Second, Apple only offered the credit because they were getting CREAMED in the press and the stock prices. If I have to hold a gun to your head for an apology, how honest is that apology?

Finally, Apple takes (in effect) $200 from you. They then offer you $100 back, but not as cash, as store credit. So you have to pay retail for something with that $100, and they make the profit on the sale. At the end of the day, Apple took $200, and will keep about $150-$170 of it.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Then don't ever buy new products! That's the solution. Welcome to the technology world - they don't hold their value. This isn't the antique businesss.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
With 76 votes cast it is still almost 16% unhappy. I just don't get it. (and I'm not asking anyone to explain it to me, so don't respond in that vein) It's just an observation that baffles me. :confused:
It's like you going and hitting your best friend in the face with no remorse until he explains to you why it was wrong. And then you wait a day and go, "Ok, I'm sorry."

Ok, so you said sorry. Does that reallly fix the problem though? Is it that easy? I voted that I was satisfied, but I see Apple very differently now and it's gonna take a lot to change that.

Leed

Aug 5, 2007
It's bitter/sweet I guess because they didn't have to do anything at all. I would've liked to see a tiered rebate based on the length of ownership. My initial purchase was approximately one month after iDay so I didn't exactly benefit from the "bragging rights" that some speak of. Additionally, I did not receive a unit with the vibrant screen so it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. That said, something is better than nothing and I was already planning on purchasing Leopard anyway so now I can do so by taking advantage of the credit.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
With 76 votes cast it is still almost 16% unhappy. I just don't get it. (and I'm not asking anyone to explain it to me, so don't respond in that vein) It's just an observation that baffles me. :confused:
Some part of America still believes in stopping Corporate fraud.

The evidence is on the table, and its obvious.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
It's bitter/sweet I guess because they didn't have to do anything at all. I would've liked to see a tiered rebate based on the length of ownership. My initial purchase was approximately one month after iDay so I didn't exactly benefit from the "bragging rights" that some speak of. Additionally, I did not receive a unit with the vibrant screen so it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. That said, something is better than nothing and I was already planning on purchasing Leopard anyway so now I can do so by taking advantage of the credit.
Pirate Leopard, save the credit for something physical.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I think the $100 amount is appropriate; a $100 drop in 2 months is much more acceptable albeit still uncharacteristically too soon. I think it should have been in cash, though rather than store credit. I always find it funny when I complain to an establishment about their products and/or services and their response is to give me more of it for free. I want my money back, not more of your stuff.

So, I'd say I'm 70% satisfied with the credit.

However, this doesn't repair Apple's image in my mind. They only did this because of the furor but before that they saw it fit to blatantly prey on the early adopter with a 50% higher price that could barely be sustained for two months. I'd be foolish to trust them in the future, and I have better things to do with my time than spend it pleading for my money back the next time they try this stunt. It's a lot easier for me to avoid them.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
I think the $100 amount is appropriate; a $100 drop in 2 months is much more acceptable albeit still uncharacteristically too soon. I think it should have been in cash, though rather than store credit. I always find it funny when I complain to an establishment about their products and/or services and their response is to give me more of it for free. I want my money back, not more of your stuff.

So, I'd say I'm 70% satisfied with the credit.

However, this doesn't repair Apple's image in my mind. They only did this because of the furor but before that they saw it fit to blatantly prey on the early adopter with a 50% higher price that could barely be sustained for two months. I'd be foolish to trust them in the future, and I have better things to do with my time than spend it pleading for my money back the next time they try this stunt. It's a lot easier for me to avoid them.

Do you own a 8GB by any chance or a 4GB?

They are still blatantly preying on the early adopters. An early adopter of a high end product is more likely to purchase more products of a significant value. $100 is enough for many to purchase a product from Apple that costs more than $100. Before you know it the credit will have made Apple's Christmas profits.