Poll: Will you still buy if a data plan is required?

Will you still buy if a data plan is required?

• Yes

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
reminds me of Drama's condo negotiation tactics from Entourage.

free iPhone, for whoever gets my reference.

Yanks88

Jun 9, 2007
1.5! Great episode, just another week until the new ones.

I'll pay $40, I don't know about anything more than that.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I'm currently paying $29 for my unlimited Blackberry plan and $39 for my wife's Treo plan, not sure for the price difference, but I would pay $39 for my iPhone plan to replace my Blackberry. Jeeze, this stuff is expensive!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm currently paying $29 for my unlimited Blackberry plan and $39 for my wife's Treo plan, not sure for the price difference, but I would pay $39 for my iPhone plan to replace my Blackberry. Jeeze, this stuff is expensive!
so the unlimited text and data plan on Blackberry is only $30? I thought they were forty also. I guess I got bad information.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
yes, I think it was originally $40 but it was lowered to $30 last year some time.
Okay. I had just heard the "well Blackberry users have been paying $40 all along so paying $40 for iPhone shouldn't be any big deal." Just wanted to double-check and make sure they had their story straight.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
poptarts ^

my current text plan is 1mb A month data and 400 texts sent/received combined.

comcipher

Jun 8, 2007
It doesn't surprise me that a premium phone, like this, will require a premium data plan. Actually I expected a required $40 data plan. In a way, it's good because it keeps the iPhone out of reach from the kiddies.
Sure, it keeps it out of the hands of the masses, but it also keeps it out of the hands of the masses.

It seems like they wanted to really "revolutionize" the cell phone industry and allow everyday people to use their phones for more then just calling people. If the data plan monthly rate is so freaking high (for no reason I might add) very few non-businesss people (who the phone is geared toward ) will be able to pay for it. Most families only got broadband a few years ago and are paying $40 a month for that. They do not want to double that so they can have an extremely slow connection on their handset.

You're talking an additional $480 a year for a 12 KB/s internet connection on your phone. That's almost as much as the phone itself costs!

$20 / month = everybody with an iPhone using and enjoying the internet everywhere
$30 / month = a fair ammount, but certainly not everyone
$40 / month = a very small percentage of the target market.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
I hate confusing phone plans and stuff! they try to make it as conplex as possible so that you end up spending the most money! I recently got a new pre-paid Virgin mobile SIM for my phone and I love it! 10c txts, 10c per min calls, no extra charges or bells and useless whistles or plans or anything!

I remember reading somewhere that in a interview with some Apple employes, they said the iPhone was making the entire experience easier, from buying it to using it. I hope Apple has forced AT&T into making everything simpler for the iPhone!