POLL:Would you buy an iPod if it had all the features of the iPhone except calls?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Would you buy Ipod witih Iphone features instead of Iphone?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No.

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
If Apple released an Ipod with a full screen and touch controls,wifi etc. Would you buy that instead of the iPhone?

May 6, 2007
United States
Probably not, seeing as those features would greatly raise the cost of the iPod. Seeing as the cost would probably be close to the $500 and $600 for the iPhone, you might as well pay the premium to be able to call, send texts, etc.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
if there was no iPhone, i would be in the market for a reasonable smartphone, probably a blackberry pearl, AND a nano or shuffle.

tikune

Apr 23, 2007
iPhone without phone...

If Apple released an Ipod with a full screen and touch controls,wifi etc. Would you buy that instead of the iPhone?
Well, as long as I could still get the visual voicemail. I guess that would be okay. Wait, No! I too think I'd rather just have the phone bundled in.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yeah, that's kind of the point to me. I want everything in one package. I lose things too easily if I have to carry too many devices.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
good thread...itd be a tough call, but i don't think id do it.

i really hope they separate the iPhones from the ipods....but they probably will be similar.

we will be the coolest cats on the streets for only a few months i bet!

but yes, i want to integrate all my goodies into one badass package. having a treo, camera, psp, and ipod is doable...but a headache!

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
I would prefer the device without the phone. This way it would be much easier to carry. Much like one carries a PSP or other entertainment device. Plus then one could carry a very nice small phone for calls and texting. Therefore if you were on the web or playing a game etc, a phone call would not be a complete interruption.

Here is and excerpt from an article articulating this:

" The iPhone is an attempt to create a phone + media entertainment device. It'll be interesting to see how the iPhone does in the market -- it was an obvious move to combine a communicator with a phone, but it's not as obvious that the entertainer is a natural match with a phone. The danger to Apple will be if users see iPhone as the worst of both worlds: a phone that lacks a good keypad and an iPod with very small memory. "

source:
http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.com/2007/01/shape-of-smartphone-and-mobile-data.html

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I would prefer the device without the phone. This way it would be much easier to carry. Much like one carries a PSP or other entertainment device. Plus then one could carry a very nice small phone for calls and texting. Therefore if you were on the web or playing a game etc, a phone call would not be a complete interruption.

Here is and excerpt from an article articulating this:

" The iPhone is an attempt to create a phone + media entertainment device. It'll be interesting to see how the iPhone does in the market -- it was an obvious move to combine a communicator with a phone, but it's not as obvious that the entertainer is a natural match with a phone. The danger to Apple will be if users see iPhone as the worst of both worlds: a phone that lacks a good keypad and an iPod with very small memory. "

source:
http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.com/2007/01/shape-of-smartphone-and-mobile-data.html
I don't think the excerpt articulated your position. I find that one device is easier to carry than two. And I don't think an incoming call while listening to music, watching a movie, or playing a game would be much more of an interruption. If anything, it's more convenient since I'm already holding the phone and the whatever I'm doing can be paused. This is one of the very cool features Steve showed off at the keynote.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I also find one device easier to carry. I used to bring my iPod Mini with me (e.g. to work, etc) but it got tiring having to grab it, along iwth a cellphone, keys, and whatever else. Eventually I only started using it for special occasions (road trips, etc). I always carry my phone... now I'll have a bunch of music and contacts, too. And If I get lost, pull into a hotel (or somewhere else—there's unprotected wi-fi nearly everywhere now) and pull up directions. My old phone is long overdue: I can finally give my old Sony Ericsson T206 a rest!

May 31, 2007
I like gadgets...but I like all my gadgets in one gadget. I think it would be cool to have all of those features in an ipod but connectivity is where its at.

I will however keep my ipod nano for the gym and cycling. Theres no need to have a huge music device for these activities.